Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System

Notices

Lawful_g
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old June 19th, 2010, 12:32 PM
a) Look at monk AC bonus for level based AC bonus, just remove the no armor or encumbrance bit. Also, It seems like this defense bonus is likely something other feats or whatever will have to check via pre reqs. I'd say make a special called Defense Bonus with a calcvalue (like sneak attack), and have each class bootstrap and add to it. The special will have the script that adds it's value to AC.

b) Also the same suggestion for reputation, special with CalcValue. Feats can add to it.
Lawful_g is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
TCArknight

Old June 19th, 2010, 02:17 PM
Ok, I've got it working.

Code:
    <eval phase="PostLevel" priority="10000">
      ~ Add class defense
      ~ As this varies for each class, the formula may change

var classdef as number
      var mylevel as number
      classdef = 0
      mylevel = #levelcount[cStrongH]

classdef = (mylevel + 1) / 2
      classdef = round(classdef, 0, -1)

hero.child[xClassDef].field[Value].value += classdef</eval>
    <eval phase="PostLevel" priority="10000" index="2">
      ~ Add Reputation
      ~ As this varies for each class, the formula may change

var reputation as number
      var mylevel as number
      mylevel = #levelcount[cStrongH]

reputation = (mylevel - 1) / 4
      reputation = round(reputation , 0, -1)

hero.child[xRepBonus].field[Value].value += reputation</eval>
Now, is there a way to get it showing up on the Class tab instead of it showing up on the Specials tab?

Also, I seem to add the Reputation, I have the Helper.ShowSpec tag on the ability, but when I look at the Selection Tags, the ShowSpec tag isn't there so is not showing on the Special tab. Suggestions?

What do I need to do to add action points to my new class? If I select the AP option from the configure hero, it shows up in the In-Play tab, but I'd also like to have it show in the Specials tab along with my Class Defense and Reputation. When I get to the Advanced classes, How will I change the base points gained for it?

Last edited by TCArknight; June 20th, 2010 at 09:24 AM. Reason: figured it out, add Action points question
TCArknight is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Lawful_g

Old June 20th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Wouldn't you want the AC bonus to be invisible and not show on the Specials tab anyway? It's reflected on the hero by adding to his AC, and pre reqs that require a minimum will detect it's value automatically, so there is no reason for the user to need to see his total AC bonus... I mean, it is fine if it does, but I tend to skew towards not cluttering the Specials tab as much as I can. As for showing on the class tab, you could make a class special for each that calculates it for that class, or alternately just have the class special detect and report the total value.

For reputation not showing on the specials tab, since it is a calcvalue it defaults to showing itself only when it has a value greater than 0. I would look at the specials fields and confirm it is a non 0 value. I suspect either the classes are adding to it too late, or it is calculating too early, so it = 0. Either way the solution is to change around the phase and priority.

I am not familiar with AP or how they work in HL. Maybe disregard the current functionality and make another special with a calcvalue that all classes add to? You could just check the boxes for showing on both special and in play tab.
Lawful_g is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
TCArknight

Old June 20th, 2010, 05:19 PM
Even on the AC calculation on the character sheet, there would be a Class box right with the Dex and Misc. boxes. Having it on the Specials tab I think is best, because each class can add to it, so having it in one place instead of multiple makes sense.

Ah, ok. Is there a way to show it even if it is a 0 value? I've got it set up on the same timing as the class defense, so that seems about right. [EDIT: ok, I can just do a perform assign[Helper.ShowSpec] right after the Calcvalue and it'll show no matter the value.]

As I don't want to rely on the user to select the AP option, I think I'll do it like the others and make a special. However, I would like it to also appear on the In-play tab like charges, how do I get that working? I haven't been able to get it showing with using the checkboxes in the editor..

Last edited by TCArknight; June 20th, 2010 at 05:36 PM. Reason: found the way to show Rep even if a +0
TCArknight is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
TCArknight

Old June 20th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Now, the toughest thing I've come up to so far is this:

D20 Modern has the following weapons feats:

Archaic Weapon Proficiency - All standard 'Archaic' weapons sword, bow, etc.
Exotic Weapon Proficiency - Choose specific Exotic melee weapon
Personal Firearms Proficiency - Handguns, rifles, etc
Advanced Firearms proficiency - (no penalty for Autofire)
Exotic Firearms Proficiency - choose Cannons, HMG, Grenade Launcher, Rocket Launcher
Simple Weapons Proficiency - clubs, knives, etc.

How do I do new 'Proficiency Required' (Weapon tab) and 'Select From' (Feat tab) categories to fit these?

If I can't, how can I get these working?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thomas
TCArknight is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Lawful_g

Old June 23rd, 2010, 08:01 AM
You'll have to make the various weapons with User tags specific to their category, then make feats for the various sorts. Example is User.ProfArch for the Archaic.
Lawful_g is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
TCArknight

Old June 23rd, 2010, 09:22 AM
That worked just fine!

Would you or anyone else happen to have the ids of all the d20 weapons? Would make is so much easier to copy into the preclude tags.... It's going slow enough with the feats as it is.
TCArknight is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old June 23rd, 2010, 10:14 AM
If you have two copies of HL open, then you can have two copies of the editor open. In the second copy, you can leave it open to the weapons tab in the middle of a "New (Copy)", and look up the Ids there.
Mathias is online now   #18 Reply With Quote
TCArknight

Old June 26th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawful_g View Post
3) Are Occupations something you pick at 1st level? I get that impression. If so, you can probably do this with an Upbringing feat (with skills add or bonus on it), that selects from several specials with unique User tags that are bootstrapping the appropriate feat with a condition that their unique tag is on the hero.

For example...
Occupation: Plumber is the occupation Upbringing feat only available at 1st level. In an Eval Script it checks to see if your class has Profession (plumber) & climb as a class skill, if not, assign it as class skill and done, otherwise add +X bonus.

Perhaps it lets you select from Swingin Pipe, and Plumber's Crack! as a bonus feat. In the custom expression for the upbrining feat, search for things with the User.PlumberSel tag.

Now define 2 new specials which will be bootstrapped to the Upbringing Feat:
Swingin Pipe: It has User.PlumberSel and User.SelSwiPipe. Bootstrapped to it is the actual feat "Swingin Pipe" with a condition that it is not added unless User.SelSwiPipe is on the Hero.
Plumber's Crack!: It also has User.PlumberSel (so it will be among the things choosable by our upbringing feat) and User.SelPlumCrk. Bootstrapped to it is the actual feat "Plumber's Crack!" with a condition that it is not added unless User.SelPlumCrk is on the Hero.

Now go back to the Upbringing feat and write a eval script that says "On selected special, forward the User.Sel? tag to the hero" This way once you make a selection the appropriate User tag will go to the hero, triggering the special you chose to add the correct feat. To see something similar look at Weapon Focus, it also forwards a tag to the hero based on what is selected.
Ok, after getting all the basic feats entered, I'm tackling Occupations.

A) I've got an Occupation Feat as Unique bootstrapped to the Class, so that the first class to add a level is the one that adds the feat. It also doesn't appear in the Feat selection options for anything then because the hero already has it.

B) The actual occupations are the tricky part - Each occupation doesn't just add one or two skills as class skills, they add a choice of two or three from several. If the hero has the chosen skill as a class skill, they get a +1, otherwise it's made a class skill for all classes, not just the one at 1st level.

For example, the Academic Occupation allows choice of 3 skills to become permanent class skills. These are chosen between Computer Use, Craft (Writing), Decipher Script, Gather Information, Knowledge (Several different ones), Research, or a new Read/Write Language or a new Speak Language.

The Adventurer Occupation allows a choice of 2 skills from a specific list, and also provides Archaic Weapons Proficiency, Brawl or Personal Firearms Proficiency as a bonus feat.

Would I need to create a new Special related to each of the skills as well as one for each occupation itself?
TCArknight is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old June 27th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Can you re-use the Expert class's "Select a Class Skill" mechanics? Just add a bonus while you're there?

Just curious, what is the occupation feat doing? Why does it need to be there?

Also, the class helper is already unique, why not bootstrap the feat from there?
Mathias is online now   #20 Reply With Quote