Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Authoring Kit

Notices

Monkey God

Old August 20th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Under the tools menu there is a choice that allows me to duplicate a game system. My question is: If I were to, say, duplicate the d20 system, does it duplicate everything – classes, feats, weapons, skills, and all that or does it just duplicate the basics in order to facilitate the inputting of new classes and feats and skills and such. I would rather it duplicate without all the extras. It would be much easier to incorporate modern and future stuff without all the fantasy stuff in the way.
Monkey God is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 21st, 2009, 10:17 AM
Duplicating a game system will duplicate *everything*, including all classes, feats, spells, etc. However, you can readily strip out the content from the 4E and Savage Worlds game systems, since the full source for those games is made available and you can just delete most of the "thing" data files.
rob is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Monkey God

Old August 21st, 2009, 03:33 PM
The system I wanted to use, basically my own variant of modern rules, is d20 based so the 4e wouldn’t work for what I want. I have skimmed over the savage worlds stuff but am not familiar enough with that system or the inner workings of HL to do a make over. If I had a "blank" d20 system, making a data set of the classes and stuff would be easier. At least that is the way I am seeing it my mind. Is there a possibility of getting a stripped down d20 some time in the future? If not, how hard would it be to erase the fantasy data set? Harder than changing 4e or Savage?

P.S.
Something just occurred to me. In the hero configuration popup there is the clip board that allows you to change the rules under which you create a character. Since you can check boxes that allow you to remove or allow certain rules sets, would it be possible to create a check box or series of check boxes that would, in essence, allow only user created data to show?

Last edited by Monkey God; August 21st, 2009 at 11:00 PM. Reason: additional thoughts
Monkey God is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 26th, 2009, 01:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey God View Post
The system I wanted to use, basically my own variant of modern rules, is d20 based so the 4e wouldn’t work for what I want. I have skimmed over the savage worlds stuff but am not familiar enough with that system or the inner workings of HL to do a make over. If I had a "blank" d20 system, making a data set of the classes and stuff would be easier. At least that is the way I am seeing it my mind. Is there a possibility of getting a stripped down d20 some time in the future? If not, how hard would it be to erase the fantasy data set? Harder than changing 4e or Savage?
We just posted a poll of what games to support next. In that poll, we included a stripped version of d20 that could be used as a starting point. I recommend that you go cast you vote for that option. :-)

Erasing the Fantasy data would be a long and tedious process that I do NOT recommend.

Changing the 4E or Savage Worlds files over to d20 would be a major amount of work. Those games are significantly different from d20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey God View Post
P.S.
Something just occurred to me. In the hero configuration popup there is the clip board that allows you to change the rules under which you create a character. Since you can check boxes that allow you to remove or allow certain rules sets, would it be possible to create a check box or series of check boxes that would, in essence, allow only user created data to show?
This is an intriguing idea. I'll have to talk to Colen about this, as it might be possible to do this. Thanks for the suggestion!
rob is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Monkey God

Old August 26th, 2009, 05:34 PM
I did see that you had put up the and have cast my vote(s) and am currently crossing all my fingers and toes. thanks for the reply. You guys have really great customer service. keep up the great work.
Monkey God is offline   #5 Reply With Quote