Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

cfritz68

Old June 24th, 2016, 06:27 PM
I just purchased Realm Works and installed it on my PC. It is version 1.0.1051.211.

I wanted to follow a tutorial and they reference the "isle of kandril" which is no where to be found. How do I open this realm so I can step through the tutorial? Without a demo realm, it will be difficult to learn this software.

Thanks,
Chris
cfritz68 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Chemlak

Old June 27th, 2016, 09:51 AM
Tutorial content was disabled a while back.

Best bet: create a "test realm" where it doesn't matter what you do, just use it to fiddle with the software and learn the tricks, then come back here with any questions, test again, and then start your "real" realm.

Chief Calendar Champion Chemlak

Join the unofficial Realm Works IRC channel! Join #realm-works
Chemlak is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Joe
Lone Wolf Staff

Old June 27th, 2016, 10:05 AM
The Realm Works tutorial is in a bit of a transition right now. Our old tutorial realm was hand created by me in a few hours, and was really, really lacking (including some truly horrid MS paint-drawn maps). For some unrelated technical reasons, this tutorial content has been disabled.

We're currently working on delivering the Content Market. One of the pieces of this is a free content package that all Realm Works users will receive. It will be in the form of a premade realm that should help new users such as yourself learn how a real realm is built (without my terrible writing and MS paint maps). This however, is not yet available. I'm also not sure if it will be immediately available when content market launches, or if it will be shortly after that.

In the meantime, I suggest checking out some of the tutorial videos we've made.

This youtube playlist walks you through the basics. It references the (now defunct) tutorial content (so you'll be able to see my terrible MS paint maps in all their glory!) but it goes over how to create new content, so it should be a good starting point. This playlist also covers some of the basics, as well as some more advanced topics.

On the same channel, we also have some recorded seminars from various conventions (e.g. GenCon). Check out the Realm Works 101 introductory seminar for a basic walkthrough of features. Once you've gotten your feet wet, check out the more advanced session covering tips and tricks, presented by none other than Rob, President of Lone Wolf Development, First of His Name, Lead Developer of Realm Works, Squasher of Bugs, and Protector of the Realm.

So, sorry for the confusion. It should only be temporary situation at least!

Last edited by Joe; June 27th, 2016 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Fixed typo
Joe is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old June 27th, 2016, 11:35 AM
For what it is worth; I found the tutorial very good. Short, simple and easy to overview and understand.

The that the maps etc. were simple meant that I wasn't overwhelmed.

Sometimes when you start something and the tutorial is made to look like a million dollar solution you become somewhat reluctant to start, because there is no way you can make anything halfway as decent.

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #4 Reply With Quote