Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

mjsohm

Old June 14th, 2016, 04:18 PM
I have both the GM and player licenses. I have installed the latest update as of this posting. Some suggestions for future updates:

1. Whatever is shared in the GM view should show up exactly that way in the Player view. Categories should identically reflect between the two.

2. Changes made in the GM view should change in real time in the Player view. Having to sync to see changes is cumbersome for the players.

Thanks for the good work, the product has promise!
mjsohm is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Joe
Lone Wolf Staff

Old June 17th, 2016, 09:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjsohm View Post
1. Whatever is shared in the GM view should show up exactly that way in the Player view. Categories should identically reflect between the two.
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Can you give an example (screenshots might be best) of what you are seeing that is different? There are some things that we intentionally display differently to players (e.g. we don't show them Reveal buttons, or unrevealed content, or GM directions, etc). But those are all things that are working as intended.

Quote:
2. Changes made in the GM view should change in real time in the Player view. Having to sync to see changes is cumbersome for the players.
Real time sync between GM and Player Edition is something we are potentially considering, but is not currently available.

For scenarios where real-time updates are needed, we recommend using the "Player View" feature in the GM edition of the product. It allows you to use a second display (such as a monitor or TV) at your table to show an instantly updated view to your players.

If you play remotely, other users have had success using screen-sharing apps such as Skype and JoinMe to share this view to remote players.
Joe is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
mjsohm

Old June 20th, 2016, 04:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Can you give an example (screenshots might be best) of what you are seeing that is different? There are some things that we intentionally display differently to players (e.g. we don't show them Reveal buttons, or unrevealed content, or GM directions, etc). But those are all things that are working as intended.
The labels in the player view are not as complete as the labels in the GM view. Maybe 10 lists of info showing regardless of what I reveal. For instance if I organize my story under "story" since that doesnt show up in the player view, only "Source" shows up as viewable. I then have to organize my GM content by the players available lists of viewable items. A fact I did not realize until I had done the work and then bought the players license. Since I can't just copy and paste topics between story and source the work now has to be redone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Real time sync between GM and Player Edition is something we are potentially considering, but is not currently available.

For scenarios where real-time updates are needed, we recommend using the "Player View" feature in the GM edition of the product. It allows you to use a second display (such as a monitor or TV) at your table to show an instantly updated view to your players.

If you play remotely, other users have had success using screen-sharing apps such as Skype and JoinMe to share this view to remote players.
This is a deal breaker for me as it was not clearly stated at purchase that real time updating was not available for online gaming. Our games are remote for at least one of our group at any one time. Fuzzy TV view on a camera, mmmm not so much. Sorry guys, but keep up the good work.
mjsohm is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old June 20th, 2016, 05:40 PM
Quote:
The labels in the player view are not as complete as the labels in the GM view. Maybe 10 lists of info showing regardless of what I reveal. For instance if I organize my story under "story" since that doesnt show up in the player view, only "Source" shows up as viewable. I then have to organize my GM content by the players available lists of viewable items. A fact I did not realize until I had done the work and then bought the players license. Since I can't just copy and paste topics between story and source the work now has to be redone.
This doesn't make sense to me at all. It sounds like there's some definite confusion about how things work. As Joe requested, screenshots or (ideally) a step-by-step outline of what you're doing would be incredibly helpful here.

Quote:
This is a deal breaker for me as it was not clearly stated at purchase that real time updating was not available for online gaming. Our games are remote for at least one of our group at any one time. Fuzzy TV view on a camera, mmmm not so much. Sorry guys, but keep up the good work.
I believe you misunderstood. The approach is to show the Player View window on your computer, then you share that window over Skype (or whatever other tool you choose to use). There's no camera involved whatsoever, so players see the exact same thing you show on your computer, with the exact same fidelity.

Does that make more sense now?
rob is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Chemlak

Old June 21st, 2016, 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
I believe you misunderstood. The approach is to show the Player View window on your computer, then you share that window over Skype (or whatever other tool you choose to use). There's no camera involved whatsoever, so players see the exact same thing you show on your computer, with the exact same fidelity.

Does that make more sense now?
Just to back Rob up, here - I do this. My gameplay is remote (and has been for a few years now, predating Realm Works). My players all have Player Edition, but for live updates I use Player View shared over Skype. It works perfectly, and has the added advantage of GM control - you, the GM, control what the players see at any time, so they're not seeing things which are unnecessary.

In fact, my biggest peeve about online gaming is that I can't get Syrinscape sound streamed to my players easily.

Chief Calendar Champion Chemlak

Join the unofficial Realm Works IRC channel! Join #realm-works
Chemlak is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old June 21st, 2016, 08:31 PM
I do the same as Chemlak, but using Google Hangouts.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
mjsohm

Old June 24th, 2016, 06:53 PM
That does help. Thank you for the advice. I will try that on our next session. That then also addresses the player licensed copy showing different labels, as they wont actually need it to see the story unfold. Thanks again.
mjsohm is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Joe
Lone Wolf Staff

Old June 27th, 2016, 09:28 AM
Quote:
That does help. Thank you for the advice. I will try that on our next session. That then also addresses the player licensed copy showing different labels, as they wont actually need it to see the story unfold. Thanks again.
We still aren't clear on what you mean by the player copy showing "different labels". I'd be happy to look into this if you could provide me more information on what you're seeing. It's possible you're just misunderstanding something, or it's possible we have a genuine bug. We won't know until we investigate further.

If you can, step-by-step explanation and instructions are best. Screenshots also of where you see differences will also be very helpful.
Joe is offline   #8 Reply With Quote