Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

MNBlockHead

Old April 8th, 2015, 06:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by weogarth View Post
I use CC3, infrequently, and pay for it with having to semi-relearn it every time. I need to just keep using it steadily.
This is true. But I'm finding that I use it on at least a weekly basis now. Mostly for overland maps and for making villages. But I'm awful with the dungeon designer. I actually bought it before buying RW and my use of RW is what has really driven me to use CC3 so much. It is powerful to be writing up plot ideas or creating scenes and be able to whip up a really nice map to go with it.

Quote:
One of my players (quasi-co-GM) and a GM of another campaign I play in uses Photoshop for her maps. She does an amazing job. PS is more expensive than CC I think but she'd already had it as she's an artsy type who likes to draw.
If you want to truly handcraft a map as a piece of art, yes, Photoshop (or similar alternative like GIMP) is the way to go. But I don't think you could whip out a functional map as quickly in Photoshop as you can using CC3. CC3 just does so much of the work for you.
MNBlockHead is offline   #51 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old April 8th, 2015, 07:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
You can convert a PDF to a PNG and import it as a background. I sometimes do this if I want to "trace" a map. Then when I'm done, I can delete the background layer to make the file smaller.

You can't edit the PNG of the PDF but you can draw over it, make it transparent, add to it....
I do this a lot. I had a world map created for my world, but the person I hired for this used photoshop, not CC3. So what I find myself doing alot is creating local overland maps by blowing up the world map to the area of interest, copying that portion into a new image and then I create a new CC3 map with the proper scale. I add the image in its own layer, then I trace over the borders and rivers, and add any cities and natural features in the appropriate place. Then hide/delete the image and add further detail in CC3, export it out as a BMP file and load into RealWorks as a SmartMap.

It sounds like a lot of work, but I can do this pretty quickly. Some boarders and coastlines can take some time to trace, but everything else is can be done quickly.

Some examples/tutorials on how to do this:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/at...7&d=1240460438

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1431
MNBlockHead is offline   #52 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old April 8th, 2015, 09:09 PM
Fractal Mapper is the same situation with other maps; I made a map of California the background and traced over it to set up my Morrow Project campaign. I suspect just like it, its probably doable but painful to do with CC3.
Paragon is offline   #53 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old April 16th, 2015, 07:15 PM
As we have all conveyed, there are a variety of mapping software of different skillsets available. Unfortunately (and usually) it takes several differing ones to get the desired end product to use in RW. It is just a shortcoming of RW by design.
A lot just depends on your application of maps at your table.. if VTT (virtual Table Top) then one type of map (and program) may be better, if you use a "battle mat" printed approach, then certainly another may be better suited. And lastly there are some that would do neither and resort to either handout or hand draw approach.

HOWEVER, RW was never intended to be a cartography tool in the form of "creating the map". The intent was to just "reveal" what is known about what ever map you chose to utilize and tie to the RW program.

And this is in no way a negative critique of RW approach to that.

Lastly, after conferring with another of my peers (Anna Myers), what my goal is to somehow incorporate Zoomify (http://www.zoomify.com/express.htm) into our Realm Works giving the players an almost "google-esk" experience in map reviewing... but that too, is down the road.

my 2cp
DLG

See here for her version of Zoomify for an example.
http://ghmaps.net/onlinemap/onlinemap.html
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #54 Reply With Quote
Ryzby

Old April 23rd, 2015, 02:27 PM
Just curious if anyone has used/tried importing "live" map files such as from google maps... or linking to them. I found a neat trick someone did for Shadowrun by making custom overlays (such as this... http://shadowrun.jdshannon.com/map/m...itle=Shadowrun) so I wanted to find out if anyone has tried it with RM and/or how well it might work.
Ryzby is offline   #55 Reply With Quote
eponette

Old April 24th, 2015, 06:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Lord Galen View Post

CC3 I won't go into since most are familiar with its capabilities.
Examples:

Dungeon Crafter - Example

Just my 2cp
DLG
Hi DLG,

do you have any idea how to get the dungeon crafter? It looks nice and easy for quick dungeons.

Thanks
eponette is offline   #56 Reply With Quote
weogarth

Old April 24th, 2015, 06:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlockHead View Post
This is true. But I'm finding that I use it on at least a weekly basis now. Mostly for overland maps and for making villages. But I'm awful with the dungeon designer. I actually bought it before buying RW and my use of RW is what has really driven me to use CC3 so much. It is powerful to be writing up plot ideas or creating scenes and be able to whip up a really nice map to go with it.
Very true. My players' primary gripe is lack of maps. For one reason or another, we're on a 6 week hiatus so I've upgraded to CC3Plus and am relearning it to fill in the gaps.
weogarth is offline   #57 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old April 24th, 2015, 08:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eponette View Post
Hi DLG,

do you have any idea how to get the dungeon crafter? It looks nice and easy for quick dungeons.

Thanks
Humm, looking it seems that Shardgames (the originator of DC3 once located @ dungeoncrafter3.com) webpage is now for sale (never a good sign). And the bulk of the remaining links reference back to that website. There may be other means since this was a freeware program (in 2005 when I got it anyway) via various other sites. I would caution some of the sites as they are sometimes notorious for virus "additions". I will look and see if I have the origin disk I received (and if there is no objection from LWD) will post a dropbox link for any in the community that has interest.

@ LWD >this was a freeware available program(and to my knowledge still would be) when it was released. So there would be no IP nor copyright issues as long as the program credited the originator as designed and intact. IF there are any objections please note.

DLG
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #58 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 24th, 2015, 01:06 PM
Please try and get in contact with the creator first, if you can - if not, posting the file link here is fine. Note for anyone who decides to download it, it's your own responsibility, the link is neither endorsed nor recommended by us.
Colen is offline   #59 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old May 4th, 2015, 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colen View Post
Please try and get in contact with the creator first, if you can - if not, posting the file link here is fine. Note for anyone who decides to download it, it's your own responsibility, the link is neither endorsed nor recommended by us.
Have made the attempt (though admittedly I have not hired a private investigator ) it seems they originating programmers have took that trip to mercury perhaps?

Thanks Colen (and LWD) in behalf of the community to keep alive a nice (if archaic piece) of lost DM support.
And I agree For anyone that chooses to utilize it....... it is of your own volition.

I nor LWD receive any sort of boon, nor provide any sort of support for the software. That relationship belongs to you and the, now unknown, developers of Shardgames (which I have no affiliations with other than as a customer).

Lastly should I or LWD receive any request to remove this link LWD is free to kill this post and or I will terminate the source of the link. I do not, in any way, condone piracy. And this program, as written, in its time, was a freeware community shared program.

Should anyone out in the multiverse representing Shardgames wish to contact me they may do so here via LWD Private message, On Canonfire.com where I am a longtime writer & contributor, or my gaming email DMsCreateWorlds@aol.com

DLG

My Drop Box Link
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hzvxrqma1w...stall.exe?dl=0
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #60 Reply With Quote