Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

RoadBlock

Old March 23rd, 2013, 03:16 AM
Hi HL Team and contributors!

I just bought HeroLab a couple weeks ago for SW, and I'm really enjoying it.

I did have a question about "laser swords" for my Star Wars game, though. It looks like the bonus might be in the wrong spot? The +8 bonus is supposed to be applied to damage and not the attack, according to the core rule book.

However, my HL characters are getting the +8 applied to the fighting roll.

I should probably note that I only bought the SW core module (and not the companion modules, yet )

Thanks in advance!
RoadBlock is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 25th, 2013, 09:42 AM
I saw that you double-posted this - I did not approve the second copy.

We have such a bad spam problem on these boards that we've had to set it so that the posts of new users aren't visible until a moderator has approved at least one of their posts.
Mathias is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old March 25th, 2013, 11:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadBlock View Post
Hi HL Team and contributors!

I just bought HeroLab a couple weeks ago for SW, and I'm really enjoying it.

I did have a question about "laser swords" for my Star Wars game, though. It looks like the bonus might be in the wrong spot? The +8 bonus is supposed to be applied to damage and not the attack, according to the core rule book.

However, my HL characters are getting the +8 applied to the fighting roll.

I should probably note that I only bought the SW core module (and not the companion modules, yet )

Thanks in advance!
Looks like you're right. That appears to be a bug in the main data file so maybe Caped Crusader can get that fixed for the next update if he sees this before then.

In the meantime there is a way to fix it yourself. If you go to Tools -> Launch Editor, then when the Editor comes up go to the "Hand Weapon" tab, then at the bottom you should see a button for "New (Copy)". If you click that you'll get a listing that shows all of the default hand weapons already in the system so just scroll down to "Laser Sword" and click "OK". You'll notice that in selections that fill out the "Attack Bonus" is set to "8", just delete that and put that 8 into "Damage Bonus", instead. Then at the top, next to the name "Laser Sword", you'll need to set a Unique ID that already has a "wp?" filled in there. Just replace the question mark with something unique. Commonly folks use a two-letter designation to start the name for special stuff like that, so you might use something like "wpHRLaserS", the HR standing for "House Rule".

Then you can go to File -> Save Data File to save this change to a .user file that will get loaded up whenever you load Hero Lab, you could just save it with a name like "HouseRule.user" for example.

Now if you go back into Hero Lab and go to the Armory tab to add this Laser Sword as a weapon you'll notice a problem. You know have two things named Laser Sword! There are two ways to approach that problem. You could rename your Laser Sword to something else (say, "Laser Sword, Proper", for example) OR you could Preclude the original one so it doesn't show up at all. Since this is something that will probably get fixed in the main files, though, you may not want to bother doing all that. I would just suggest going the new name route until then (or even just remembering that it's supposed to be a bonus to damage instead of to hit.) However if you really want to try to do a Preclude just let me know and I'll be happy to help you figure that out if you need it.

Hope that helps!

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
RoadBlock

Old March 25th, 2013, 04:07 PM
Thanks, guys!

I've gone ahead and created .user file for some StarWars related stuff and fixed the 'laser swords' there.

Sorry about the second post, I guess I wasn't patient enough.

Thanks again.
RoadBlock is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 27th, 2013, 09:48 PM
Since I read oldest to newest, I saw the other one first and responded to it...
CapedCrusader is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Riskor-Idan

Old May 9th, 2013, 10:13 AM
I have been having problem logging on to the site to purchase optional data packages. (Actually, almost impossible lately). Is there a Star Wars data set out now? I had started to work on one a while ago but got side tracked with family and health issues... (Also started to work on C&C too).

That is the price you pay for being one of the finest!
Riskor-Idan is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old May 9th, 2013, 11:06 AM
Most of the Savage Worlds data sets released have been Pinnacle's settings (almost all of their settings are now available as free add-ons). High Space is the only other third-party setting that has been released (also free). I have not heard of anyone doing a Star Wars setting file (is there even an official one out there?) Or did you mean like a full on setting packed, like Star Wars d6 or something? If so this probably isn't the right forum to ask for that on as I'm not sure many folks on the Savage Worlds forum here keeps track of all the other settings, necessarily.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old May 14th, 2013, 08:23 PM
Well, a little Jawa told me that someone is working on a Star Wars data file... Stay tuned for updates.
CapedCrusader is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
drake113

Old May 16th, 2013, 01:52 AM
No doubt that many Bothans will die to bring us this update.

/Stupid, easily killed Bothans...
drake113 is offline   #9 Reply With Quote