Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Magick Man

Old May 19th, 2011, 12:15 PM
How can I find out what .user file an item that my character has in inventory is coming from? I created and used a custom epic version of some armor, and the .user file that I was certain I created it in has a blank Magic Armor tab. I think there's a problem with the .user file but I may be wrong.
Magick Man is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
chiefweasel

Old May 20th, 2011, 04:08 AM
can you pull the file up again from the Recent List under the file tab?

Web site - Cheese Weasel Logistics - www.cheeseweasel.net
Twitter - @CheeseWeaselGMZ
For user created content check out www.d20pfsrd.com and www.cheeseweasel.net
For video demos of Hero Lab go to http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChiefweasel?blend=9&ob=5
chiefweasel is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Magick Man

Old May 20th, 2011, 12:25 PM
I thought I knew which file I put it in, and that file did show up in the recent list (I went through all of them), but there's no mention of the armor via the editor. And I even opened the .user file and scanned the XML by eye and still no mention so now I'm really confused, although now I'm thinking it's not that .user file that's the problem. What I'm looking for is a way to find out from the .por file where an item came from. I've viewed the .por file and found lines that reference the custom armor but nothing that points back to any source, at least that I can decipher.
Magick Man is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old May 20th, 2011, 12:43 PM
The .user files as you have seen is nothing more than text files really. This means you can just scan the files for the Unique ID of the Armor.

If you have a tool like TextPad or Notpad++ these have the ability to do a search against all files in a specific folder. So you can have them scan for the Armor's Unique ID in your HeroLab\data\d20 folder against all files.

Their maybe other tools out their that can do a whole folder search. TextPad you can download and use for free it just gives warning messages if you have not purchased it.

Hope that helps.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Magick Man

Old May 24th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Thanks! I hadn't thought of simply searching the folder for the text, although it should have occurred to me when I discovered they were all XML. I was stuck on using the Hero Lab tools. And I found it! Seriously though, you might want to include source file as a debug value for really dense people like me.
Magick Man is offline   #5 Reply With Quote