Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Eilserves

Old August 30th, 2019, 07:21 PM
I searched the forums first to make sure I wasn't duplicating work, and the last post I see is in the User Projects from 2017, so it seems this never got off the ground. I'm trying to code a Gear Head for a home game, and having some issues with the Schematics/Contraptions.

Basically it needs to replicate Word Casting with it's own word list. I've got the basic class frame and set it up as a caster that uses a book, using "Flexible Book (Arcanist)" as the Spellcaster Type because I can't find a way to add a new one and that's the closest match. I've set up a few words to get started, set-up a Draft Book (their version of a spell book) and a Starting Draft Book, and added the "words" to the gearhead class via the Classes/Domains tag in the words, but when I add the book it lists no to choose from to add starting Schematics.

Where I need some pointers/help -

How do I force this class to be a wordcaster? I've selected it's own spell list on the class definition and added the words to this list but they still don't show up.

Is there a better way to represent the Charges ability? Right now I'm looking at using the Spells Known for the Contraptions per day and the Spells per day for the charges. This seems to match the way the Arcanist is handled, is this right?

(If your not familiar with the class, they combine "Schematics (words)" into "Contraptions (word spells)" and can prepare a certain number a day, but then have "Charges" to activate based on spell level and "use" the contraptions. )
Eilserves is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Ualaa

Old August 31st, 2019, 09:22 AM
I'm fairly clueless on the actual coding with the editor. I understand some of the basics, but wouldn't know where to being as to coding a magic system, even copying bits and pieces from existing systems.

You could create counters, and increment them within HL as a tracker.
But I'd probably just print out (or potentially use a Journal Entry, if you prefer to have it in HL) the "pieces" (words) and the number they can use per day as another counter.

Obviously, that's not what you're looking for though.
Ualaa is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Eilserves

Old August 31st, 2019, 11:38 AM
Might be a work-around option if I can't figure out how to make the actual "Words" bit work. In an update, I've been able to verify that the Arcanist Flexible Book approach does what I want, once I got the spells per day and spells known figured out and the proper numbers in place, so that piece of the puzzle is fixed.
Eilserves is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Eilserves

Old August 31st, 2019, 01:30 PM
So after more digging I've made some progress. I found the Helper Tag of "Wordcaster" and this is moving in the right direction. However, while it does properly bring up the dialog to make "Favorite Wordspells" (Which I wish I could override to say "Contraptions but that's a minor thing) - It does not recognize any "Effect Words" in the Draft Book. It recognizes Target words, but not the effects.

Sample Effect listed below:

<thing id="weHRBurn" name="Burn" description=(snipped for forum)>
<fieldval field="wsBoostB" value="Augmentation I"/>
<fieldval field="wsBCostB" value="1"/>
<fieldval field="sResist" value="No"/>
<tag group="sClass" tag="cHelpGHD"/>
<tag group="sWordCat" tag="wcFire"/>
<tag group="sLevel" tag="1"/>
<tag group="sSchool" tag="Combustion"/>
<tag group="sDuration" tag="Instant"/>
<tag group="sSave" tag="RefHalf"/>
<tag group="sResist" tag="No"/>