Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

NeoFax

Old December 24th, 2010, 10:35 AM
I am trying to make the able learner feat, but do not know how. Does anyone have this?
NeoFax is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
risner
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old December 24th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoFax View Post
I am trying to make the able learner feat, but do not know how. Does anyone have this?
My first guess is to look for an adjustment for "more skill points" (if one exists), copy it into a feat, loop on all skills that are not Speak Language and not currently a class skill, and add bonus skill points for each rank in that skill.

That will allow 2 points to be spent (for 1 skill rank) on each skill without showing red. The user will be trusted to not "spread" these half ranks around. You could also enforce even numbers of ranks to fix this issue if you don't trust them.
risner is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
NeoFax

Old December 24th, 2010, 06:23 PM
This is a old post that someone did. However, I do not have a clue as to how to make it work.

Able Learner
NeoFax is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
risner

Old December 24th, 2010, 06:34 PM
I don't like their suggestion (make all things class skills) and limit the max ranks.

But the last suggestion is a fine solution:
HouNoXMult

Have the Able Learner enable that house rule setting changes the multiplier to 1.0:
Code:
        if (hero.tagis[Settings.HouNoXMult] <> 0) then
          xmult = 1
        else
          xmult = 0.5
          endif
You may also need to verify it does Speak Language correctly, as that still requires the 0.5 multiplier. So you may want to check that they don't have too many ranks in Speak Language if it isn't a class skill.
risner is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
NeoFax

Old December 24th, 2010, 07:45 PM
OK, but how do I do this? Do I open the Editor and then place this in a certain tab?
NeoFax is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
risner

Old December 28th, 2010, 09:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoFax View Post
OK, but how do I do this? Do I open the Editor and then place this in a certain tab?
My suggestion didn't work, as it was significantly more difficult in reversing the change to Speak Language. I don't know how to look on classes to see skill points spent per class and what skills they were. So there was no way to reverse the change from 0.5 to 1.0 in multiplier for Speak Language.

So I implemented it in a different way.

Code:
  <thing id="fAbleLearn" name="Able Learner" description="You have a great aptit
ude for learning.\n\nPrerequisite: Human or doppelganger.\n\nBenefit: All skill
ranks cost 1 skill point for you to purchase, even if the skill is cross-class f
or you. The maximum number of ranks you can purchase in a cross-class skill rema
ins the same.\nThis feat does not affect the skill point cost to learn a languag
e or to gain literacy (for a barbarian or other illiterate character).\n\nSpecia
l: This feat may only be taken at 1st level.\n\nNormal: Cross-class skills cost
2 skill points per rank." compset="Feat" uniqueness="useronce">
    <comment><![CDATA[Race.Human works but Race.Doppleganger doesn't

Doesn't handle 1st level only for picking the feat (it should be greyed out if a
bove 1st level.]]></comment>
    <usesource source="srcRaceDes" parent="p35" name="Races of Destiny"/>
    <tag group="Helper" tag="ShowSpec" name="ShowSpec" abbrev="ShowSpec"/>
    <tag group="fCategory" tag="General" name="General" abbrev="General"/>
    <eval phase="PreLevel" priority="5100"><![CDATA[~ If we're disabled, do noth
ing
if (tagis[Helper.FtDisable] <> 0) then
  done
  endif

~ Look through skills, set our # ranks = # points spent.

foreach pick in hero from BaseSkill where "!thingid.kSpeakLang"
 each.field[kUserRanks].value = each.field[kUserPts].value
nexteach]]></eval>
    <prereq message="">
      <validate><![CDATA[@valid = tagis[Race.Human]

~ This is because evidently Doppleganger doesn't register Race.Dopple?
foreach pick in hero where "component.BaseRace"
     if (pos(each.idstring,"rDoppel") = 0) then
          @valid += 1
     endif
nexteach]]></validate>
      </prereq>
    </thing>
This works with the exception of greying itself out if you are not 1st level.
This will be added to the community data set 1.3, so when that comes out you will need to delete your file as you will get a duplicate on the fAbleLearn object.
risner is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Lawful_g

Old December 28th, 2010, 09:51 PM
Risner, you can make a feat only available to 1st level characters by setting it's feat category to "Upbringing", and I think the posters question was a bit more basic than that. I believe he was asking how to create the feat.

To NeoFax:
Open the editor, go to the Feats tab. Hit the New (Blank) button in the Lower Left. Name your feat and give it a unique id in the field directly right of the Name. Under that is a big box where you can type the text for your feat.

Now the scripting part. In the upper right there are a bunch of buttons, click on the one that says "Eval Scripts". In the New window set the Phase to PreLevel (it is a drop down menu) and the Priority to 5100. Now in the big main field you will need to copy all the things in risner's code from "if (tagis[Helper.FtDisable] <> 0) then" until the first "nexteach"

Now for the Prereqs. Near the Eval Scripts button there is an Expr Reqs button, click on that and click on the area in the new window where it says "Click to add another expression requirement". The first line is the message that will appear if the user doesn't qualify. The second line is for the Expression. On the second line put:

hero.tagis[Race.Human] <> 0

Don't worry about Dopplegangers for the moment unless you are actually playing one. For some reason a race won't apply its own race tag unless it has been defined in the "Counts As Races" field, which doppleganger has not.

Now save the file and hit the "Test Now" button in the upper left of the editor and the feat should be ready for use. Add it to your character and test it out.
Lawful_g is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Lawful_g

Old December 28th, 2010, 09:52 PM
By the way Risner, I like the code, that was a clever way to handle the problem.
Lawful_g is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
risner

Old December 29th, 2010, 05:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawful_g View Post
feat category to "Upbringing"

Name your feat and give it a unique id in the field directly right of the Name.

defined in the "Counts As Races" field, which doppleganger has not.

I like the code, that was a clever way to handle the problem
Awesome, fixed to be Upbringing. I just didn't remember that category.

NeoFax, try to use the same unique ID so you can just delete the file to get the community one without deleting and re-adding the feat. So use fAbleLearn for unique id.

We should probably fix rDoppel2 to do the counts as race? Since there is a Doppelganger and Greater Doppleganger race? Both count as Doppelgangers? I don't think GD is coded yet, but I didn't search.

If you mean the setting to 1 for 1, I can't take credit. My greps pulled up Guerrilla Warrior (HoB), so the author of that is my inspiration. My original fix (tagging the 1x multiplier house rule) had the unintended side effect of breaking Speak Language (making it also 1x.)

If you mean the Doppelganger search, thanks!
risner is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
NeoFax

Old December 29th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Thanks for all of the help! That worked perfect.
NeoFax is offline   #10 Reply With Quote