Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

vardeman

Old February 9th, 2020, 10:05 PM
I've heard rumor that there's a way to create custom content, such as new magic items. How difficult is it to use? I've got a new DM who loves to make custom content like a "Golden Feather" which grants unlimited flight to its owner. I guess I'd really like to clone an existing item and change the name and description values, take out stuff like time limits. Could someone point me in the right direction?
vardeman is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Dami

Old February 9th, 2020, 10:54 PM
Yes, its an editor. Open HL, click on "Tools" > "Show editor". In the editor, click on 'Help' > 'Help with using the editor'. This will give you guidelines and tutorials. You should also be able to find YouTube videos and there's heaps of info on the forum.
The easiest way to use it is to pick an item that already exists and see how its coded, and modify it.

Current RPG's: Pathfinder (GM), Pathfinder (Player), Gamma World (GM, Pathfinder homebrew).
HeroLab: 3.5 & Pathfinder. HL User Files for PF: Greyhawk Setting, Gamma World (WIP).

DM and player of D&D since 1980.
Dami is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
vardeman

Old February 9th, 2020, 11:23 PM
Thanks! I've got the basics down, I think. I just need to know how to get it to add a fly speed under the "Basics" panel. And also show up in the "Specials" panel. (I hope "panel" is the correct term)
vardeman is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Ualaa

Old February 10th, 2020, 12:25 PM
I'm not very familiar with the editor, but people will generally suggest finding something that does what you're looking for.
Then copy/steal that code, to see how it does what it does.

As far as just making your item text, no scripting, that should be really easy.

There are adjustments, if you have the Community Package, for adding a flight speed, so that would be one method to see how that is done.
There are probably existing items that also do that.

You could of course just go create custom magic item, in Hero Lab (not the editor), and name it the Golden Feather.
Then create the adjustment for flight, on either the Adjust or Personal tab.
And check the box when it's used, or if the ability is at all, then always leave it checked.

I'm not saying don't explore the editor, if you're so inclined.
Ualaa is offline   #4 Reply With Quote