Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

morval

Old July 20th, 2014, 10:32 PM
Is there something more indepth than what is included with the tutorial sample Realm? Something that showed how RW was to be used when entering an actual module? Something that shows examples of each type of topic in RW. I've watched the tutorials, read some of the help docs. I understand how to use RW, but having problems deciding how each type of topic might best be used for a particular part of a module.

I realize you can do things almost anyway you wish and I'm slowing doing that, deciding on the best way for myself to enter things, but I find its hard to figure out which topic is best for certain things and how best to use each topic.

I'll keep on reading, but just thought even if there was a module we could buy to see how things were intended I'd go that route.

Thanks!
morval is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
morval

Old July 21st, 2014, 12:27 AM
Here is a snapshot of a module I started putting into RW. Its the prologue to Rise of the Drow from Adventureaweek.com. I'm sure its not all how things were intended, but its what I've come up with so far. I like it.

Prologue.JPG
morval is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old July 21st, 2014, 06:36 AM
I've posted a few screenshots over on the RealmWorks G+ group as well.

I've found that my RW structure depends on the module's material and that I don't lay dungeons (structured) out the same way I do roleplay-heavy intrigue (lots of relationships). I want more rules crunch in one and more linkage in the other. So I'm trying to develop a toolbox of RW styles that feel comfortable to me and that work with the types of adventures I plan to run.
AEIOU is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Dervish

Old July 21st, 2014, 08:35 AM
Thats a really good example i have been struggling with how to lay out the adventures i have in my head out into realmworks been having a bit of creative vs practical disconnect
Dervish is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
meek75

Old July 23rd, 2014, 03:43 AM
I am entering the Star Wars Saga "Dawn of Defiance" modules. I like to use the "events" category to organize the adventures. I have struggled with the "best" way for a while now. I live the storyboards, especially for non-linear or multiple pathway plots, but I still link the storyboards back to entries in the events category. With linear plots I find it easier to run the game directly from the story almanac and for non-linear I run from the storyboards. Here is a screen shot.
Attached Images
File Type: png SW_Snip.PNG (159.0 KB, 97 views)
meek75 is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old July 23rd, 2014, 11:28 AM
@morval: I really like your presentation. I think that's likely how modules will come to us from the store.

@meek75: I've adopted (adapted?) a very similar organization for my material.

I lean more toward meek75 than morval's example because I run campaigns rather than one-off modules. For me, one of the greatest tools RW brings to the gaming is the ability to blend material and to combine modules seamlessly by allowing us to cleanly edit material. Printed modules are great source materials but they've always been presented in a narrative format that makes them easy to read but don't have enough white space to personalize them. With RW, modules are just Legos that can be reused and reshaped to my heart's content.

I can plop a module in and by changing a link I can change a city name throughout.
I can change a 2e module into Pathfinder by replacing stat blocks.
I can blend a city sourcebook, a region sourcebook and 2-3 modules to create a rich sandbox.
I can grab iconic PC's from a module, change names, alignments and personalities and voila, instant nemeses.
I can link Harn with City State of the Invincible Overlord with Bard's Gate with Sanctuary.
I can use a map from RotRL as a found item in a treasure horde.

I definitely want to know where material came from for reference in case I want to see the original context. But when store content starts flowing, I'll probably be moving the relevant pieces of the material I buy out of Sources and into the rest of my Borg...errrr...I mean campaign structure. And then hiding Sources completely. (However, given how many times I've changed my mind in how I organize things in RW since November, this too is subject to flip-flopping...).
AEIOU is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
morval

Old July 23rd, 2014, 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
@morval: I really like your presentation. I think that's likely how modules will come to us from the store.

@meek75: I've adopted (adapted?) a very similar organization for my material.

I lean more toward meek75 than morval's example because I run campaigns rather than one-off modules. For me, one of the greatest tools RW brings to the gaming is the ability to blend material and to combine modules seamlessly by allowing us to cleanly edit material. Printed modules are great source materials but they've always been presented in a narrative format that makes them easy to read but don't have enough white space to personalize them. With RW, modules are just Legos that can be reused and reshaped to my heart's content.

I can plop a module in and by changing a link I can change a city name throughout.
I can change a 2e module into Pathfinder by replacing stat blocks.
I can blend a city sourcebook, a region sourcebook and 2-3 modules to create a rich sandbox.
I can grab iconic PC's from a module, change names, alignments and personalities and voila, instant nemeses.
I can link Harn with City State of the Invincible Overlord with Bard's Gate with Sanctuary.
I can use a map from RotRL as a found item in a treasure horde.

I definitely want to know where material came from for reference in case I want to see the original context. But when store content starts flowing, I'll probably be moving the relevant pieces of the material I buy out of Sources and into the rest of my Borg...errrr...I mean campaign structure. And then hiding Sources completely. (However, given how many times I've changed my mind in how I organize things in RW since November, this too is subject to flip-flopping...).
Well put, I agree. I was more looking at how a module would be intended to be entered. But if its my own world and work then I would do it more the other way as well.
morval is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
ruhar

Old November 18th, 2015, 12:41 PM
It's been over a year since this thread started and I wanted to know if anything has changed on how you do things. I'm getting ready to put a module in RW for someone and there are endless options of what to enter and how to lay it out so I thought I'd check the forum. It's one thing to do it for yourself, but it's different when it's for someone else.
ruhar is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old November 18th, 2015, 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruhar View Post
It's been over a year since this thread started and I wanted to know if anything has changed on how you do things. I'm getting ready to put a module in RW for someone and there are endless options of what to enter and how to lay it out so I thought I'd check the forum. It's one thing to do it for yourself, but it's different when it's for someone else.
The only real guidance we have is the various tutorials, the tips and tricks documents and the video of the 2015 seminar (the last 15 minutes or so includes some details on what they think a Content Market realm should include).
kbs666 is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
ruhar

Old November 22nd, 2015, 09:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
The only real guidance we have is the various tutorials, the tips and tricks documents and the video of the 2015 seminar (the last 15 minutes or so includes some details on what they think a Content Market realm should include).
Thanks. I will look at the video.
ruhar is offline   #10 Reply With Quote