Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Authoring Kit

Notices

Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old January 10th, 2018, 07:33 PM
For now, I'm not worrying too much about this because I'm focusing on mechanics, but some of the weapons in Planet Mercenary have multiple forms of damage, resulting in a large block in the table, and I figured I'd poll for opinions.

I know from one of the topics (I don't know the URL off of the top of my head) that the table rows can't have a variable height, so the option of just making it multi-line and auto-sizing doesn't seem feasible. Anyone have thoughts on it? Maybe set up something where I can display something like "Multiple" for over-size entries and do a tool-tip to display the actual values in the table (if not automatically, providing a "small" damage field that's displayed by default if present)?

I know that I also don't need to slavishly follow the tables in the book, but I'm kind of hazy on how I might balance out the large damage blocks with the ones that are essentially "2d6".
Attached Images
File Type: png HeavyWeapons.png (187.5 KB, 37 views)
Duggan is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
TCArknight

Old January 14th, 2018, 05:35 AM
I think this should work. (All on the showtemplate for the armory tab):
1: set the Portal for the Damage field to multi line
2: In the <position> script for the template, first thing set the overall height to the height of the Damage field + a small amount.

For something I’m working on now, i don’t have a multi line field, but I’ve set the height of the template to (the delete field height + the info field height + 15j, then aligned them one under the other so each weapon entry on the table displays 2 rows of text..

Working on -
  • (SWADE) WIP Savage Rifts
  • Savage Rifts (Deluxe): Update link in This post
  • Star Trek Adventures: Update link in This post
TCArknight is online now   #2 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 14th, 2018, 10:03 AM
There's no good solutions for making HL match the book without having to leave very large amounts of white space on all the normal weapons, that don't need large damage blocks. I think I would display damage as much as possible, and special damages when needed:

5d6
3d6+2
3d6/3d6/3d6
5d6
De-motivators/Goober/3d6/3d6/Stun

Then, use the mouseinfo to let the user read the whole thing.

As TCArknight said, you can put that in a multi-line portal (which probably means you want spaces in the text, so HL can wrap it: "3d6 or 3d6 or 3d6") - note that if you have a multi-line text portal, and you're calculating the height of the template based on the height of that portal, the very first item listed will control the height of all the others - it won't be the maximum height ever needed by any weapon. So you'll need to use a little debugging or trial-and-error to find a fixed height that works for the biggest damage block.

In the description text for the weapon, you're not space-restricted, so there you can display the whole text, and the printout can do variable-height tables, so you're OK there too.
Mathias is online now   #3 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old February 24th, 2018, 08:48 AM
FWIW, I set it up so that the weapons default to two lines (which works better for the longer weapon names) and that there's both a full damage field and a "short" damage field. When displaying the damage, if a "short" damage field is present, that's shown, otherwise the full field. Then, the mouseinfo is the full damage field.

The weapons with really long fields basically just have "Various" as the short field.
Duggan is offline   #4 Reply With Quote