Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD

Notices

BlueArcher

Old October 27th, 2019, 02:24 PM
Hi

I am adding my own content to 5e and am rolling along quite well l but I have a few outstanding issues that I cannot figure out. Hoping one of the editing gurus can point me in the right direction. The issues I have are the following - any direction on how to resolve them would be gratefully received. The list is:

1. I have created an archetype for Rogue that, at 3rd level, I want to give them proficiency with Shields and also make Spears and Tridents (sea culture!) Finesse weapons.

2. I have created an archetype for Ranger that grants bonus spells at various levels (one spell at each of 3, 5,7,9,13, and 17th). Some/all of these spells are not usually available to Rangers and I don't want them to count against the number of ranger spells known.

3. Inspired by Jason and the Argonauts, I want to give my new Ranger archetype the option of choosing a mechanical bird as their companion. How can I add that to the list?

4. I have created 4 archetypes - three work fine, but the Ranger one doesn't! It actually shows up as a Fighting Style rather than an Archetype - I've checked and it's certainly set to be an archetype. What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks all!

Last edited by BlueArcher; October 27th, 2019 at 02:43 PM.
BlueArcher is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old October 28th, 2019, 06:31 AM
A lot of times you just need to find something similar in another class if you don't have one in the class you're working on. You can always make a copy of an ability to pick it apart and copy/paste scripts. That said:

1. Part one: Shield proficiency
You can look at the Bard College of Valor Bonus Proficiency for adding shields, the script runs at post-levels 10000 and this is what is in the script that is important:
Code:
doneif (tagis[Helper.ShowSpec] = 0)
doneif (tagis[Helper.Disable] <> 0)
perform root.linkage[table].assign[ArmProfGrp.Shields]
This pushes the Armor Proficiency Group tag for shields onto the base character table.

Part two: Add tags to the two weapons.
This one is harder since the two weapons are already defined and are not part of the character unless you buy and/or equip them.

A suggestion that will likely work for weapons on your character sheet.

Code:
doneif (tagis[Helper.ShowSpec] = 0)
doneif (tagis[Helper.Disable] <> 0)
foreach pick in hero from BaseWep where "IsWeapon.wSpear"
  perform eachpick.assign[wProperty.Finesse]
  nexteach
foreach pick in hero from BaseWep where "IsWeapon.wTrident"
  perform eachpick.assign[wProperty.Finesse]
  nexteach
2. Look at the cleric subclasses - you'll see where the cleric bootstraps the spells needed for their domain, or look at the paladin subclasses that do it for their oath. You'll see that you bootstrap the spells and give them several tags that explain when they get the spell (BonusSplAt.??), if it is free and assign it to the character class.

3. The way the community assigns the ranger companion isn't easy to modify, you would have to copy a bunch of code and modify it to include a construct. It would be easier to just create the NPC bird and then add it to your sheet as a minion or hireling.

4. This one is dependent on how you might have created the archetype. In the editor make sure that the Available to Class(es) only has Ranger selected. Make sure the Ability Table? has it listed as Secondary and FINALLY, make sure that Special Ability Category is set to Ranger Archetype and nothing else.

Hope this helps get you started.
dungeonguru is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
BlueArcher

Old October 28th, 2019, 07:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dungeonguru View Post
4. This one is dependent on how you might have created the archetype. In the editor make sure that the Available to Class(es) only has Ranger selected.
Checked and okay.

Quote:
Make sure the Ability Table? has it listed as Secondary
AHA! It was set to Primary! Changed it to Secondary.

Quote:
and FINALLY, make sure that Special Ability Category is set to Ranger Archetype and nothing else.
Checked and okay.

And now it works fine - thanks!

I'll be looking at the more complex stuff after work today...

THANKS! Oh, BTW, I got my start in the hobby in 1978 with the first three books and Greyhawk and (a little later) Blackmoor.
BlueArcher is offline   #3 Reply With Quote