Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works in Action

Notices

MNBlockHead

Old January 18th, 2017, 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
For something like an orc specific prestige class I either wouldn't have an entry at all, too much work, or if I intended to have the PC's encounter a lot of orcs I'd have it be contained by the orc topic.
Actually, I have ONE orc article with all varients contained in sections for that article. But I apply multiple names for that article so that that the various orc types appear in the list of monsters and autolink to the orc article.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old January 18th, 2017, 03:02 PM
I just have Orc and then have the Hero Lab Portfolio contain a heap of Orc options. At time of import I just pick a selection of what I want to make the fight interesting.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old January 18th, 2017, 04:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
I just have Orc and then have the Hero Lab Portfolio contain a heap of Orc options. At time of import I just pick a selection of what I want to make the fight interesting.
i don't create articles for most monsters, but orcs are a major part of the campaign, so I have the states, flavor text from the MM, plus campaign-specific info. But if I can buy all the monsters articles from the content market for Tome of Beasts, Volos, and the MM, I'd definitely do so.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
mazzy

Old January 19th, 2017, 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
You know... If I was to remove all the content... I'm pretty sure we could get away with sharing the articles with just the names. This would save people a fair bit of work.

As far as monsters go I have the following entered:

MM, Volo's, Fifth Edition Foes and Tome of Beasts
That would be super awesome if it's something that we can do without crossing any legal lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlockHead View Post
Ah, if you really want to scratch that OCD itch, use tags. :-)

With something like monsters, once you have hundred of them, no amount of foldering is going to be satisfactory. You'll use search to pull them up by name or will want to filter by CR, type, environment, etc.
Nyoooooo! There MUST be BEAUTIFUL ORDER!!!

I suppose I should start looking at how I want to tag things, but I'm kinda waiting for the 5e structure update just to see how they have things set up. I think what I'm going to do is map out how I want things organized, as in what works for me and my DM'ing style, and then compare to the official 5e stuff and go from there. I just need to remind myself not to get too caught up with it, maybe I'll setup a lil zapper to help with that
mazzy is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
Tompa974

Old January 25th, 2017, 02:47 AM
Regarding organization I am in the midst of deciding on how I want to organize my World Almanac. I can't decide whether making cast lists for all people, or to nest them where they currently are located.

My OCD problem is that I loose my visual organization if I make these long, long cast lists. I can, as an example, make a Sub cast list (People of the North - People of Waterdeep) to create some organization, but it still will be a long, long list. I'll have to use search if I want to find someone, which is ok I guess as the lists gets bigger.

Having Cast lists and use relationships is stronger, but I can't get over that I like the idea of nesting.

How are you guys doing?
Tompa974 is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
Strategon

Old January 25th, 2017, 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tompa974 View Post
Regarding organization I am in the midst of deciding on how I want to organize my World Almanac. I can't decide whether making cast lists for all people, or to nest them where they currently are located.

My OCD problem is that I loose my visual organization if I make these long, long cast lists. I can, as an example, make a Sub cast list (People of the North - People of Waterdeep) to create some organization, but it still will be a long, long list. I'll have to use search if I want to find someone, which is ok I guess as the lists gets bigger.

Having Cast lists and use relationships is stronger, but I can't get over that I like the idea of nesting.

How are you guys doing?
I make cast lists for everything I need and leave all my cast lists in the cast list section. Resist the urge to nest everything and just link to the cast list from within your content where and when you need to.

It's tempting to create one big nested hierarchy so you can just see it all in one view; however, it becomes way to large and has a negative effect of seeing too much in one view.

Learn to rely on the fantastic linking system. Create the skeleton of your content first, then as you fill in the details you get the autolinking. The main reason for doing it this way is so that you can enter in an individual once and use it multiple places. One particular individual in a cast list could be used in multiple locations, scenes, etc. You don't want to have to move them around because your are using a location based hierarchy.

Last edited by Strategon; January 25th, 2017 at 11:10 AM.
Strategon is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old January 27th, 2017, 11:59 PM
I sort them by certain types and then by name.
Within each monster, I add a shortcut text that links to a text. E.g. [CR] for Critter Compendium. Within the Tag Domains I setup the various books and set them on automatic. I hope that one day these links will be found automatically.

Right now an additional scan via the wrench clear and add content tags is necessary.

Alternatively I just add a normal tag.

Also I begun to add a TOC for each book which have been added as Source topics. From there the topics will link to each book as well.

Still to decide which method works best.

Auto Accepting snippet tags would be the best

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net
Acenoid is offline   #27 Reply With Quote