Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

asw122

Old November 28th, 2013, 06:32 AM
Just wanted to check this because where my group will probably be doing most of our gaming (a local pub we have an arrangement with), we're not gonna have a whole lot of computers, so what I was wondering is whether the player's browser access will work on devices like ipads (as that's why my players would probably be using) or will the iOS safari not support features it need?
asw122 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Chemlak

Old November 28th, 2013, 10:33 AM
As I understand it (though I do not actually know for certain) the browser access will be browser-agnostic, so accessing it with a tablet should be the same as using a PC or laptop. In other words, it should use HTML and nothing else (or very little else), which Safari can handle perfectly well.
Chemlak is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Tekwych

Old November 28th, 2013, 12:34 PM
They are using the .net framework, not HTML. Safari will not work, desktop or iOS, without helpers. Some of those helpers are not yet available.
Tekwych is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 28th, 2013, 01:38 PM
@asw122: Web-based means HTML and javascript, which is supported on every recent browser that I'm aware of. That includes iOS, Android, etc. The whole reason we're going with web-based player access is because then we'll work on any current device that any player wants to use.

@Tekwych: The reason we're using .Net is because then we can use large chunks of the same code on the standalone client AND on the server. Please note that I said the SERVER, where all the smarts will live for web-based access. The user-interface for web-based access is completely separate and relies upon HTML and javascript for use in a standard browser. The use of .Net means we can't run the standalone client on other devices, but we can definitely provide a web-based version across devices.

I hope this clears up any potential confusion!
rob is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Dervish

Old November 28th, 2013, 06:03 PM
Will there be a dice roller and will there be character sheet access for the players using the web.? The reason i ask this is simple I run a weekly Virtual session for 8 people living in different states around the US and i would be buying realmworks for 3 reasons reason 1 Comparison to my current campaign software The Keep. reason 2 possible campaign intigration reason 3 Supporting your company you bring good products i would like to see that continue however i have some misgivings if you include fog of world(war) without access to character sheet and Die roller for the players i would have no reason to invest in the cloud features as i already have a vtt that meets the needs for fog purposes.
Dervish is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
JackOfAllGames

Old November 28th, 2013, 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
Please note that I said the SERVER, where all the smarts will live for web-based access.
Sorry to pester, but when you speak of servers, are these your servers or can the GM's computer act as the server? In other words, will players be able to receive information from the GM over a LAN or must the internet be involved? Some of my group's gaming locations have poor or no internet access. It would be really nice if LAN were an option.
JackOfAllGames is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
asw122

Old November 29th, 2013, 08:55 AM
Quote:
@asw122: Web-based means HTML and javascript, which is supported on every recent browser that I'm aware of. That includes iOS, Android, etc. The whole reason we're going with web-based player access is because then we'll work on any current device that any player wants to use.
That's great. My location usually has solid web access, but multiple computers isn't 100% practical. If I can use a laptop and they can use my iPad for the browser stuff, that's ideal.
asw122 is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 30th, 2013, 03:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dervish View Post
Will there be a dice roller and will there be character sheet access for the players using the web.? The reason i ask this is simple I run a weekly Virtual session for 8 people living in different states around the US and i would be buying realmworks for 3 reasons reason 1 Comparison to my current campaign software The Keep. reason 2 possible campaign intigration reason 3 Supporting your company you bring good products i would like to see that continue however i have some misgivings if you include fog of world(war) without access to character sheet and Die roller for the players i would have no reason to invest in the cloud features as i already have a vtt that meets the needs for fog purposes.
There won't be a dice roller in V1.0, but that's on the todo list because lots of people seem to want one. Character sheet access through the web-based interface is also planned. However, since you are comparing Realm Works to a VTT, I'm guessing you want live updating of characters controlled by the GM.

Our intention with Realm Works is not to create yet another VTT tool. Our first priority is campaign management for GMs, with the ability to share vastly more than just the current map where the PCs are adventuring. That's why we call it "Fog of World" instead of merely "fog of war". The Virtual Tour video we put together and the detailed info on the website should provide numerous examples of the things that players gain access to beyond just the current map that most VTTs provide.

Hope this helps!
rob is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 30th, 2013, 03:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackOfAllGames View Post
Sorry to pester, but when you speak of servers, are these your servers or can the GM's computer act as the server? In other words, will players be able to receive information from the GM over a LAN or must the internet be involved? Some of my group's gaming locations have poor or no internet access. It would be really nice if LAN were an option.
They are OUR servers at the present time. There's a LOT of complexity going on for determining exactly what each player can/can't see. If you don't have internet access, you can readily leverage what we call the Player View mechanism, which allows the GM to show the players material during the game. The info is displayed on either a second monitor or on the GM's computer, at the GM's discretion.
rob is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
JackOfAllGames

Old December 2nd, 2013, 05:59 AM
Quote:
They are OUR servers at the present time. There's a LOT of complexity going on for determining exactly what each player can/can't see. If you don't have internet access, you can readily leverage what we call the Player View mechanism, which allows the GM to show the players material during the game. The info is displayed on either a second monitor or on the GM's computer, at the GM's discretion.
Ahh, okay. Thank you for the clarification! I can see the Player View being a nice work-around, should lack of internet continue to be an issue with my group.
JackOfAllGames is offline   #10 Reply With Quote