Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Mutants & Masterminds

Notices

Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old June 27th, 2009, 06:53 AM
Hello again

Just wondering if the HQ features (and maybe some of the other things) in Book of Magic might make it into HL.

Keep up the good work.

Last edited by Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer; July 5th, 2009 at 06:02 AM. Reason: Realized the question about Penetrating was self-explanatory. D'oh!
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer

Old July 5th, 2009, 06:22 AM
Hello all. :-)

After making up some characters for this past Saturday's game I noticed two problems. One with just the printout and one with both the onscreen computation and the printout.

Printout only: Even though one can select what Attack one is specializing in via the drop-down it doesn't print that out on the sheet so the person I made the character for asked "Umm, what does this Attack Specialization" apply to? Granted the higher 'To Hit Bonus' should've given it away but she had a point that it should've been reflected in the Feats area of the printout using the "name" of the power, if one was provided, or somehow identifying which "blast" for example of an Array of blasts that it applied to. Perhaps putting a Slot One, Slot Two, etc. tag on Arrays?

Speaking of Arrays, all the slots say (Alternate) next to them. It would help if the base/default power in an Array was identified with the word (Base or Default) instead. :-)

Onscreen & Printout. Bought an Undercover Vest as Equipment for a character. Checked the box to have it "in play" and neither on-screen nor in the printout did it include the +3 to Toughness one is supposed to get. I didn't check the Undercover Shirt to see if the + 2 is also being ignored but I suspect it is. :-(

Speaking of Protection, is it possible to have a on/off selector box for Protection? I have a character that has Protection (general) and Protection (only vs. magic) and I would prefer that the (only vs magic) NOT be automatically included in the Toughness displayed since it only counts when hit by an attack/effect with descriptor of magic.

Hopefully these are getting to you guys in time for the fix to make it into the next update. Keep up the good work. :-)

Last edited by Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer; July 7th, 2009 at 04:07 AM. Reason: typo & added bit about on/off for Protection
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer

Old July 7th, 2009, 03:04 AM
Hi again,

I had a feeling something was not "right" about a character HL (with UP supplement) was letting me build.

It allowed me to pile on Power Drawbacks (Power not Character) and reduce the FINAL cost of some powers to - and some even gave me points back!

That's a no-no per UP, page 108. The minimum cost for a Power is 1 point no matter how it is constructed. It is true that you can get more bang for your buck due to "fractional costs" BUT the point remains, you have to spend at least one point for that Power.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Hope this is in time for the next update to the software.

Keep up the good work,
Nigel Fogg, The Wayfarer

Last edited by Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer; July 7th, 2009 at 03:09 AM. Reason: Clarified Final cost not cost per rank
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer

Old July 13th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Hello again,

Hope this is in time for the next update. Would it be very difficult to have the points spent on a power be printed out. Perhaps along with the action/duration?

This would be helpful for those who have the mimic power and wonder if what they are trying to mimic (be it of a friend or foe) is within their power point limit, per U.P. page 173.

Thanks in advance. Keep up the good work.
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 21st, 2009, 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer View Post
Hello again

Just wondering if the HQ features (and maybe some of the other things) in Book of Magic might make it into HL.

Keep up the good work.

The next update to the M&M data files will probably just be a bug fix release - there are a number of outstanding issues that have been reported since the last release, and we're in the middle of Gen Con preparation (including releasing new versions of 2 separate products) right now.

After Gen Con, I want to do another update including new material from one of the books, either Warriors & Warlocks or Book of Magic.

Quote:
Onscreen & Printout. Bought an Undercover Vest as Equipment for a character. Checked the box to have it "in play" and neither on-screen nor in the printout did it include the +3 to Toughness one is supposed to get. I didn't check the Undercover Shirt to see if the + 2 is also being ignored but I suspect it is. :-(
Equipment like armor doesn't stack with any other bonuses to Toughness. So if I have Protection 5 and then wear an Undercover Vest, the vest has no effect. If you start a new character and equip a vest, it should give him the bonus.

Thanks for all your other suggestions / bug reports - I'll try to get them implemented.
Colen is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer

Old July 24th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colen View Post
The next update to the M&M data files will probably just be a bug fix release - there are a number of outstanding issues that have been reported since the last release, and we're in the middle of Gen Con preparation (including releasing new versions of 2 separate products) right now.

After Gen Con, I want to do another update including new material from one of the books, either Warriors & Warlocks or Book of Magic.

Equipment like armor doesn't stack with any other bonuses to Toughness. So if I have Protection 5 and then wear an Undercover Vest, the vest has no effect. If you start a new character and equip a vest, it should give him the bonus.

Thanks for all your other suggestions / bug reports - I'll try to get them implemented.
Okay, I'm not sure why armor doesn't stack but the bonus from the Undercover Vest DOES show up IF it is more than the bonus from Protection AND/OR if you put "force field" on the Protection to represent Toughness that isn't always there.

Have a new problem though

If you put the "limited - narrow" Power Flaw (in this case magic) on the (Saving Throw) Protection you buy under the Powers Tab some math takes place that I believe is in error. I'm going to try and attach the screenshot but if that fails to come through..... the -3/r of the PF makes the cost become -.3333333/r and thus you can buy (Saving Throw) Protection 2 on WILL and GET BACK 6 points. It does not matter if those 2 are less than/equal to/greater than your WILL.

Have fun at GEN Con....still deciding if I want to go to it. lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg saving throw protection error.JPG (138.0 KB, 12 views)
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 4th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Quote:
Okay, I'm not sure why armor doesn't stack but the bonus from the Undercover Vest DOES show up IF it is more than the bonus from Protection AND/OR if you put "force field" on the Protection to represent Toughness that isn't always there.
Can you give me a specific example that isn't working the way you expect? The vest bonus showing up if it's more than your innate protection is correct - it just doesn't add to your innate protection.

Quote:
If you put the "limited - narrow" Power Flaw (in this case magic) on the (Saving Throw) Protection you buy under the Powers Tab some math takes place that I believe is in error. I'm going to try and attach the screenshot but if that fails to come through..... the -3/r of the PF makes the cost become -.3333333/r and thus you can buy (Saving Throw) Protection 2 on WILL and GET BACK 6 points. It does not matter if those 2 are less than/equal to/greater than your WILL.
Thanks, I'll see if I can fix this.
Colen is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 4th, 2009, 02:05 PM
I had a further thought about this:

Quote:
Is it really appropriate to put flaws on your base saving throws? If you wanted to limit your saving throws in some way, isn't it a better idea to add a Weakness or Vulnerability to the condition, instead of meddling with the saving throw itself?
Colen is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer

Old August 5th, 2009, 07:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colen View Post
I had a further thought about this:

Is it really appropriate to put flaws on your base saving throws? If you wanted to limit your saving throws in some way, isn't it a better idea to add a Weakness or Vulnerability to the condition, instead of meddling with the saving throw itself?
I would agree that it should be a weakness or vulnerability if it was to the BASE saving throw. In this case I'm putting a limitation on the ENHANCED portion of the Toughness saving throw & please note, this is a specific error to (Saving Throw) Protection. If the incoming attack doesn't have that descriptor then the plus-up to the saving throw doesn't kick in.
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 19th, 2009, 02:54 PM
So the effect you want is that the "Impervious" extra on your Toughness save is limited to only during the day, or something similar?

That seems a little "meta" to me - it's like wanting to apply an extra to Protection only under certain circumstances. You're wanting to apply something like the "Limited" power flaw, but you want to apply it to the Extra, not the power itself. As I understand it, that's not something the rules support.

I think the best solution here is to create a new extra, maybe with a cost of 0.5, that acts like the Impervious extra but only works half the time. That way you can apply your new extra to the "(Saving Throw) Protection" power, or a regular Protection power, and have it work appropriately.
Colen is offline   #20 Reply With Quote