Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD

Notices

SheerANONYMOUS

Old October 6th, 2019, 04:27 PM
I'm trying to put together an Epic Boon that gives the player a Half-Dragon's breath weapon and vision abilities, but I'm running into an issue. Both are showing up greyed out, with the breath weapon being listed in the Special tab as "Not Equipped." How can I fix these?

Also, ideally this Boon would be restricted to Dragonborn, so how can I set it up to only be selectable by that race, and replace the Dragonborn's breath weapon completely?
SheerANONYMOUS is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old October 7th, 2019, 10:47 AM
Can you share your code or explain how you are adding the breath weapon and visions to the boon?

Other info:
To lock down the choice for dragonborn, on the boon you can hit the Pick-Reqs button and then click on the Choose button and find rDragonbor - this should grey it out for anyone that's not dragonborn.

You normally can't unbootstrap an ability. You would probably have to create a new copy of the dragonborn race and custom subraces that put a condition on the breath weapon. This was done in the community files for the tiefling variant if you want to look at how it was done. It's a lot of work.
dungeonguru is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old October 7th, 2019, 11:07 AM
Followup:

I created a boon that bootstraps raDarkVis and I can see where it comes up greyed out under Racial Abilities.

I had to add a script that runs at final/5000 that removes the Helper.Disable tag, seems that something is adding that tag during the boon assignment. The only thing I have in the code that makes it work is:

perform hero.childfound[raDarkVis].delete[Helper.Disable]
dungeonguru is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old October 7th, 2019, 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dungeonguru View Post
You normally can't unbootstrap an ability.
While this is true that is why Helper.Disable tags exist to disable a bootstrap ability and have it not appear on specials or printed character sheet. Also 5e came from Pathfinder so you should have access to Helper.SpcReplace. This tag allows you to replace an Ability with another ability.

In example if you have Ability A and Ability B. Where A is bootstrapped and ability B is the alternate racial trait. You would have a script on B that assigns Helper.SpcReplace in First/500. This disables and gray's out A and the only thing you should then see on the Specials tab and in print will be B.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
SheerANONYMOUS

Old October 7th, 2019, 02:09 PM
Quote:
Can you share your code or explain how you are adding the breath weapon and visions to the boon?
I'm basically using the breath weapon script and bootstraps for the half-dragons breath weapon verbatim, so I have the script
Quote:
perform hero.pushtags[DamageRes.?]
perform hero.findchild[BaseRace].setfocus
doneif (state.isfocus = 0)

var size as number

size = focus.tagmax[RaceSize.?]

if (size > 10) then
size = 0 - size + 10
endif

field[abValue].value = size
as first phase priority 450, and then the bootstraps for wyvern, young, and adult red dragon breath weapons with "fieldval:abValue = x" as condition tags, x being 1, 2, or 3, respectively. Which honestly could be part of the problem.
SheerANONYMOUS is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old October 8th, 2019, 07:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
While this is true that is why Helper.Disable tags exist to disable a bootstrap ability and have it not appear on specials or printed character sheet. Also 5e came from Pathfinder so you should have access to Helper.SpcReplace. This tag allows you to replace an Ability with another ability.

In example if you have Ability A and Ability B. Where A is bootstrapped and ability B is the alternate racial trait. You would have a script on B that assigns Helper.SpcReplace in First/500. This disables and gray's out A and the only thing you should then see on the Specials tab and in print will be B.
I'll have to try out SpcReplace and see how that works exactly. Leaving something greyed out under Racials or Specials usually causes confusion for those folks that don't print though. Darkvision doesn't show up under Specials since it uses a different bit of logic as a Sense/Racial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheerANONYMOUS
I'm basically using the breath weapon script and bootstraps for the half-dragons breath weapon verbatim, so I have the script
This is where I got confused as to how you've set up your boon.

When I do it, I create a boon and bootstrap 3 things:
1. Darkvision (raDarkVis) - with a tag: Group ID: Value, Tag ID: 60
2. Blindsight (raBlindSi) - with a Tag: Value.10
3. Half-Dragon Configurable (cfgHlfDrag)

When I grant the boon, I get a new tab asking me for my half-dragon ancestry.

Blindsight is granted.
XXX Breath is granted. (XXX depends on the dragon ancestor)
Damage resistance to XXX is granted. (which is redundant on a dragonborn, but doesn't cause an issue).
Darkvision shows up under racials but is greyed out.

So with a quick script fix to remove the Helper.Disable on Darkvision it all seems to work and I'm not seeing a "not Equipped" message.

All that seems to be left would be to remove the old breath weapon, which would require a bit of scripting to add Helper.Disable to it in order to grey it out.
dungeonguru is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
SheerANONYMOUS

Old October 8th, 2019, 01:13 PM
Quote:

This is where I got confused as to how you've set up your boon.

When I do it, I create a boon and bootstrap 3 things:
1. Darkvision (raDarkVis) - with a tag: Group ID: Value, Tag ID: 60
2. Blindsight (raBlindSi) - with a Tag: Value.10
3. Half-Dragon Configurable (cfgHlfDrag)

When I grant the boon, I get a new tab asking me for my half-dragon ancestry.

Blindsight is granted.
XXX Breath is granted. (XXX depends on the dragon ancestor)
Damage resistance to XXX is granted. (which is redundant on a dragonborn, but doesn't cause an issue).
Darkvision shows up under racials but is greyed out.

So with a quick script fix to remove the Helper.Disable on Darkvision it all seems to work and I'm not seeing a "not Equipped" message.
That did the trick, thanks!
Edit: though, now the boon shows up in the list of dragon types.

Last edited by SheerANONYMOUS; October 8th, 2019 at 01:19 PM.
SheerANONYMOUS is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Mergon

Old October 12th, 2019, 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post

ShadowChemosh:

I am trying replace existing Background abilities with new ones from the module Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus.
For example, the ability for the Acolyte background has the tag bAcolShelt. I want to replace that ability with an ability who's tag is ab5CDiVbgAcolyte.

I'd like to create a script with an adjustment if possible, but I can make copies of each exisiting background if necessary. Any ideas/suggestions?

I caught this posting and am trying to see if this would work for me.

Watch your back, Conserve your ammo,
and NEVER cut a deal with a dragon!
Mergon is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old October 12th, 2019, 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mergon View Post
ShadowChemosh:

I am trying replace existing Background abilities with new ones from the module Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus.
For example, the ability for the Acolyte background has the tag bAcolShelt. I want to replace that ability with an ability who's tag is ab5CDiVbgAcolyte.

I'd like to create a script with an adjustment if possible, but I can make copies of each exisiting background if necessary. Any ideas/suggestions?

I caught this posting and am trying to see if this would work for me.
So I did some testing and Helper.SpcReplace does not seem to do what I remember. But doing what your asking is really easy using Helper.Disable and Hide.Special.

Attached is a very simple user file with an adjustment that replaces the "Shelter of the Faithful" Acolyte background with "Shelter of the Faithful (Replaced)" ability. This simple example should let you create your own.
Attached Files
File Type: email ~WIP.user (1.4 KB, 2 views)

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Mergon

Old October 13th, 2019, 11:05 AM
Shadow:

For the conitional on the new bootstrapped Ability, what would the conditional be if I wanted it to check to see if I have the Acolyte background?

I have tried:
a)
Quote:
fieldvalIsOn <> 0 & count:Background.bckAcolyte <> 0
and

b)
Quote:
fieldvalIsOn <> 0 & count:hero#Background.bckAcolyte <> 0
Are either of these correct?

Note: Not sure why I am getting those emoticons in the code . . .

Watch your back, Conserve your ammo,
and NEVER cut a deal with a dragon!

Last edited by Mergon; October 13th, 2019 at 11:08 AM.
Mergon is offline   #10 Reply With Quote