Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

mirtos

Old March 30th, 2013, 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
The last item on every tab in the editor is named "sources". That's how you can create your own entries in that list on the configure hero form.
Is there any work being done on getting data files in a custom location and not in %APPDATA% The linking works for now, but its a bit of a pain, and it doesnt always work on a mac.
mirtos is offline   #31 Reply With Quote
jasonsandeman

Old November 22nd, 2013, 02:54 AM
I am curious if anyone knows how this works on Win 8.1? I had this working well with Windows 7, but I can't seem to find the files now with Win 8.1. Perhaps it's too early in the morning here. Ha Ha
jasonsandeman is offline   #32 Reply With Quote
MPHopcroft

Send a message via AIM to MPHopcroft Send a message via MSN to MPHopcroft Send a message via Yahoo to MPHopcroft

Old February 2nd, 2014, 10:05 AM
As mentioned in the M&M board, I am trying to copy a .stock file into the ProgramData directory to make it accessible in the Stock File menu. In Win8.1, however. The problem is that even after I reveal the directory I cannot copy into it. I'm not even given the option to go into the Admin account -- it simply refuses to let me perform the task.

I've asked the Microsoft Community how (and if) I can do this. No response yet -- I will probably share it once I get one because this something that might have to be done every so often.

Since the problem is likely to persist in future versions of Windows, perhaps Version 5 of HL could provide an alternative location for .stock files to make adding fan-built ones (like the one I am trying to add) easier (or at least possible without undergoing extensive system calesthenics).
MPHopcroft is offline   #33 Reply With Quote
MPHopcroft

Send a message via AIM to MPHopcroft Send a message via MSN to MPHopcroft Send a message via Yahoo to MPHopcroft

Old February 3rd, 2014, 05:12 PM
The solution, according to the Microsoft community, is to go into the Properties for the folder in question and take out the Rewad-Only status the program seems to install them to. That worked for me, though I couldn't detail exactly how I did.
MPHopcroft is offline   #34 Reply With Quote
arcept

Old January 3rd, 2017, 10:10 AM
... wait, i messed up somewhere
arcept is offline   #35 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old January 4th, 2017, 05:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
All paths really need to be user definable. I was very close to requesting a refund when I installed and specified custom install and discovered that even though I directed the install to my D:/program files (x86) directory, a C:/programdata directory was also created and utilized.

Why? Because I use a SSD drive for C:/ which contains OS and static application files only. For those unfamiliar with SSD's, they dramatically speed up reads for file access so applications/programs gain a significant boost. The downside is that they have a limited number of writes to the device. Hero Lab forces a directory onto the C:/ and writes every time the program is accessed. Every time I use Hero Lab, a few bits die.... And that makes me sad.

SSD's are becoming more common for laptops and gaming systems. Cloud data support for centralized storage would be a huge plus for anyone using a desktop/laptop combo. I'd really like to see this limitation changed.

Just to put aside any fears here, you have to write a tremendous amount of data to an SSD to kill it.

http://techreport.com/review/27909/t...heyre-all-dead

I worked it out once that a standard 128GB SSD needed in the order of 64TB of data written to begin to lose cells. Please consider just how much data that is.

The above link is a test run by a online source in an attempt to kill SSDs, and it proved they have remarkable endurance.

I run SSDs in all my systems, everything, I mean everything is installed and run off them, I see no reason why one would want to gimp their performance by running the OS on an SSD and then wait for apps to run off a convention HD. Back in the day, when I ran a 1st Gen Agility it made sense to do this, but even a value line SSD has a very long life, and is the single biggest performance enhancing part of any computer.

Crucial, Adata are my go to brands. I have two of each, and my lappy has been running a 512GB Crucial for nearly 4yrs, and still not a single redirected cell.

However, mileage may vary, like any device not all are created equal even within brands and models. But there is very little reason to worry that any program will kill your SSD. Reality here is, your swap and temp files used by the OS will create far more writes then most apps.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #36 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old January 4th, 2017, 09:08 AM
Just FYI this thread is 5 years old. So keep in mind your answering someone from tech 5 years ago. Things have gotten better with SSD drives in those 5 years.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #37 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old January 4th, 2017, 11:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
Just FYI this thread is 5 years old. So keep in mind your answering someone from tech 5 years ago. Things have gotten better with SSD drives in those 5 years.
I need a drink.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #38 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old January 4th, 2017, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmortis View Post
I need a drink.
Hey now! You have to share!

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #39 Reply With Quote
PhilFischer

Old July 26th, 2017, 09:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirtos View Post
Is there any work being done on getting data files in a custom location and not in %APPDATA% The linking works for now, but its a bit of a pain, and it doesnt always work on a mac.
Am bumping this thread. We still need data file paths editing in a day and age of cloud computing. Want to push Program Data Files to Dropbox.

PhilFischer is offline   #40 Reply With Quote