Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Gord

Old October 25th, 2016, 07:56 AM
Like several other people, I played 4e with the Nentir Vale setting and really enjoyed the fact that I and my players were not overwhelmed with background material. I have one who has an almost perfect memory and had read most of the Forgotton Realms material so she knows more than I ever will about it. Like DaPlunk and many others, I tend to use pregenerated adventures since my time is limited.

Almost anything that would work with 5E and that I could add onto this world setting would be fine by me. Monsters, spells, and then rules would be my priority for rulebook material.

As a store owner, I would prefer if there was a way to sell a book in store and have the customer get a RW download (and VTT file) with the free pdf that is offered by many companies now. This could be either free or at a huge discount compared to the normal price online. The current system of buying a new D&D book for $50 and then spending another $50 to get it online for the VTT, $50 for a licensed RW download (guessing at price here), is just not feasible for most DMs and will affect a stores ability to sell the book. This of course, reduces exposure for the manufacturer.
Gord is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old October 25th, 2016, 12:30 PM
Gord, love your idea! As a customer, I would love to buy a book — if the publisher doesn't have a RW coupon, getting one at checkout would be great and if my FLGS gets a small kickback, all the better.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
wurzel

Old October 26th, 2016, 04:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
I have one who has an almost perfect memory and had read most of the Forgotton Realms material so she knows more than I ever will about it.
I had the same situation more than 20 years ago in FR. When the group came to a small village one of the players knew exactly who lived there, what the mayor's name was and so on. That's why I started my homebrew world so this couldn't happen anymore.

Funny thing is, the guy mentioned above still plays in my group and is today DMing in another part of my homebrew world, so all of his FR knowledge is now useless

DM: Tol'Uluk - game system independent homebrew world (so far AD&D 2, D&D3.5, Fate, Pathfinder, D&D5)
Tools: RW, CC3+, CD3, DD3, HL
RL: Retired senior IT manager. Now just housewife, grandma and fantasy author.
wurzel is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old October 26th, 2016, 10:29 AM
The beauty of RW is you can add a town and its inhabitants, then change the names of people and it changes all the linked material -- voila a new fully populated town! I've done this with the intro 5e adventure to yank it out of FR and place it seamlessly into the Lost Lands. Super fast and easy. It's also a great way to recycle NPCs. Make it once, duplicate, change name and a few stats or notes on personality or appearance and you have a new unique person for a fraction of the effort.

This is also the hidden power of the Marketplace. We can leverage the work that others have done, modifying, updating, changing rulesets, relocating. You may know that you've reused the same NPC 10 times but the players would likely be oblivious. Buy once, use many. THIS is the revolutionary impact of RW on the hobby.

I can't wait to get the Masks content to become available so I can start doing this more effectively on a personality level (and with less work than I'm doing now).
AEIOU is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
jsawdey

Old October 27th, 2016, 01:20 PM
As a first-time DM who's going to be running the 5e Starter Set to "test the waters", I would really love to see the sourcebooks or any module, mainly to see how the developers and content providers envisioned having their product used. There are always hidden gems in how others use a product (I've gotten a lot of ideas from daplunk's videos).

I have really appreciated the flexibility that RW provides, and hopefully everything goes well when my first session starts in a few months.
jsawdey is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old October 28th, 2016, 03:31 PM
Jsawdey, check out Daplunks excellent videos, there is a thread somewhere in this forum with links.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Gord

Old October 29th, 2016, 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlockHead View Post
Jsawdey, check out Daplunks excellent videos, there is a thread somewhere in this forum with links.
These are indeed a great set of videos. I've found I've learned tricks and different ways of doing things every time I have seen them. The discussions of ideas and some of the screenshots shown here are wonderful but these just give a different way to learn. If not done already, Lone Wolf should put a link to them on the site/forums.
Gord is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 30th, 2016, 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
The beauty of RW is you can add a town and its inhabitants, then change the names of people and it changes all the linked material -- voila a new fully populated town! I've done this with the intro 5e adventure to yank it out of FR and place it seamlessly into the Lost Lands. Super fast and easy. It's also a great way to recycle NPCs. Make it once, duplicate, change name and a few stats or notes on personality or appearance and you have a new unique person for a fraction of the effort.

This is also the hidden power of the Marketplace. We can leverage the work that others have done, modifying, updating, changing rulesets, relocating. You may know that you've reused the same NPC 10 times but the players would likely be oblivious. Buy once, use many. THIS is the revolutionary impact of RW on the hobby.

I can't wait to get the Masks content to become available so I can start doing this more effectively on a personality level (and with less work than I'm doing now).
This is the vision I've had from the beginning. We're finally on the cusp of starting to realize it. To be honest, it's nerve-wracking, since I hope things go like I've envisioned. We'll soon find out.
rob is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 30th, 2016, 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
As a store owner, I would prefer if there was a way to sell a book in store and have the customer get a RW download (and VTT file) with the free pdf that is offered by many companies now. This could be either free or at a huge discount compared to the normal price online. The current system of buying a new D&D book for $50 and then spending another $50 to get it online for the VTT, $50 for a licensed RW download (guessing at price here), is just not feasible for most DMs and will affect a stores ability to sell the book. This of course, reduces exposure for the manufacturer.
I've spent many hours talking with people like Marc Aquino, Matt Young, and Mike Webb about this very idea (all VPs at Alliance now). There are so many hurdles that we've been unable to come up with a viable option for anything like this. Which is extremely frustrating.
rob is offline   #20 Reply With Quote