Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Dimwhit

Old December 8th, 2013, 07:28 AM
I'm pulling my hair out on this. I'm trying to teach myself the Editor and I'm muddling through, but I'm stuck on an issue I can't figure out. I'm working on adding a variant Fighter class (from an old Dragon Magazine), the Kensai. It picks a single martial or exotic melee weapon (got that figured out — I created a Kensai Weapon Proficiency feat that it gets for free at first level).

Anyway, at 1st level, a Kensai gets a +1 to hit and damage. I got that figured out. I create a Class Special with a lvl req of 1 and a source of Kensai. It hits on the Post-Level [User] phase. It works. The problem was the next one. I duplicated that ability and changed it to a lvl 5 Kensai requirement to give an additional +1 to hit and damage, running on the same phase. The problem is that the bonus is added at 1st level, not 5th. I'm sure I got everything changed from the duplication. But it's not waiting until 5th level to do it. Any idea why?

I also can't figure out (the tutorial doesn't go through things like my mind works, I think) how to have that bonus apply only to the weapon selected in the Kensai Weapon Proficiency feat I created. I have it applying to all melee damage. Anyone know how to explain that easily?

I have more questions, probably, but if I can figure out these two, it would help immensely. I went ahead and attached my .user file, in case that helps. It's a mess, though! Like I said, I'm still in the very early stages of learning all this.

Edit: I hope I have this in the right forum! Not sure if it should be here or the d20 forum.
Attached Files
File Type: zip whit.user.zip (1.4 KB, 2 views)
Dimwhit is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old December 9th, 2013, 06:11 AM
Ok, well, there's a lot going on here.

For starters, I noticed your pre-req for the Kensai Weapon Prof was incorrect. You'll want to do this:

Code:
child[Attack].field[tAtkBase].value >= 1
Notice the addition of the greater than symbol: ">". If you require that it = 1 then after 1st level, the requirement is no longer filled since you've increased your BAB. Whenever there is a minimum requirement, you'll want to use ">=".

Also, you don't need to use two specials to increase attack and damage. Here's an example of how to use one script to handle both plusses (drawing from your work):

Code:
if (#levelcount[K3nsai] >= 5) then
     hero.child[Attack].field[tAtkMelee].value = hero.child[Attack].field[tAtkMelee].value + 2
     hero.child[Damage].field[tDamBonus].value = hero.child[Damage].field[tDamBonus].value + 2
else
    hero.child[Attack].field[tAtkMelee].value = hero.child[Attack].field[tAtkMelee].value + 1
     hero.child[Damage].field[tDamBonus].value = hero.child[Damage].field[tDamBonus].value + 1
endif
Also, you can short-hand the above code as follows:

Code:
if (#levelcount[K3nsai] >= 5) then
     hero.child[Attack].field[tAtkMelee].value +=  2
     hero.child[Damage].field[tDamBonus].value +=  2
else
    hero.child[Attack].field[tAtkMelee].value +=  1
     hero.child[Damage].field[tDamBonus].value +=  1
endif
I believe there is a way to do this on the feat and to only add this to the weapon chosen, but I'm struggling with it a little bit. As soon as I figure it out, I'll add to this post.
Sendric is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Dimwhit

Old December 9th, 2013, 08:06 AM
Thanks! I'll work on these today. A question. On combining the two specials into one script…I'll have more to do at higher levels. This should work, right?

Code:
if (#levelcount[K3nsai] >= 11) then
     hero.child[Attack].field[tAtkMelee].value = hero.child[Attack].field[tAtkMelee].value + 3
     hero.child[Damage].field[tDamBonus].value = hero.child[Damage].field[tDamBonus].value + 3
elseif (#levelcount[K3nsai] >= 5) then
     hero.child[Attack].field[tAtkMelee].value = hero.child[Attack].field[tAtkMelee].value + 2
     hero.child[Damage].field[tDamBonus].value = hero.child[Damage].field[tDamBonus].value + 2
else
    hero.child[Attack].field[tAtkMelee].value = hero.child[Attack].field[tAtkMelee].value + 1
     hero.child[Damage].field[tDamBonus].value = hero.child[Damage].field[tDamBonus].value + 1
endif
Dimwhit is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old December 9th, 2013, 09:14 AM
Yep. There may also be another option. You can create a variable and design it to get the correct bonus, then use that to increase those fields. For example, if you wanted to start at 1 then increase it at every 5 levels:

Code:
var bonus as number

bonus = 1 + #levelcount[K3nsai]/5
bonus = round(bonus, 0, -1)

hero.child[Attack].field[tAtkMelee].value +=  bonus
hero.child[Damage].field[tDamBonus].value +=  bonus
Note: you have to run this post-levels because you are counting class levels. Post-levels/10000 is what I would run it at.

For more on rounding and other math functions, see this thread: http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=21668

It's for Pathfinder, but a lot of it applies to d20 as well.
Sendric is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old December 9th, 2013, 09:35 AM
Incidentally, I got the other problem worked out. I saw your script on the Feat you created, but I have to admit I have no idea what you were doing there. It's not something I've seen before. In any case, I borrowed some code from Weapon Focus, and came up with the following two scripts you could put on your feat (with whatever editing you might need for the bonuses:

Script 1 gives the character proficiency with the weapon of choice:
Code:
First/10000

doneif (field[fChosen].ischosen = 0)

var id as string
 id = field[fChosen].chosen.idstring

foreach pick in hero where "IsWeapon." & id
    perform eachpick.assign[Broadcast.WepProf]
  nexteach

perform field[fChosen].chosen.forward[WepProf.?]
Script 2 increases attack and damage bonus to weapon:
Code:
Post-Levels/10000

doneif (field[fChosen].ischosen = 0)

var id as string
 id = field[fChosen].chosen.idstring

var bonus as number
 bonus = 1 + #levelcount[K3nsai]/5
 bonus = round(bonus, 0, -1)

foreach pick in hero where "IsWeapon." & id
    each.field[wBonus].value += bonus
  nexteach
You would use these in place of the scripts currently located in your feat and class specials.
Sendric is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Dimwhit

Old December 9th, 2013, 11:47 AM
Edit: Never mind on that. Had to re-add something that got lost.

Last edited by Dimwhit; December 9th, 2013 at 12:01 PM.
Dimwhit is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Dimwhit

Old December 9th, 2013, 12:10 PM
I can't seem to get the attack/damage bonus thing to work out. I used that last script you posted. I tried adding a bootstrap to the proficiency feat, but that's a shot in the dark, since the whole bootstrap concept baffles me. I do have it executing at Post-Levels/10000.

Any thoughts on what to do to get it to get the bonus added? It is showing as a class special on the sheet. Just not calculating.
Dimwhit is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old December 9th, 2013, 12:25 PM
Using the file you posted, I added these scripts to the feat (Kensai Weapon Proficiency), not the class special. With this method, your class special won't need any scripts...just a description explaining what it is.
Sendric is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Dimwhit

Old December 9th, 2013, 12:32 PM
Ah! I misread you at the end there. Perfect! It's actually working. Thanks so much. I actually do php coding, but this still feels like a foreign language to me.
Dimwhit is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old December 9th, 2013, 12:40 PM
No worries. You'll get used to it in time.
Sendric is offline   #10 Reply With Quote