Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

MNBlockHead

Old September 9th, 2015, 08:12 PM
I feel like I must be missing something obvious. How do I create a new style on the RW "format" ribbon? I can edit an existing style by clicking on the gray arrow on the bottom right of the "styles" group to bring up the "modify style" dialog box. But that only allows me to edit the existing styles, of which there are only four by default.

However, if I copy from word and paste into a text snippet or note in RW, with formatting, the MS Word styles will now appear in the RW styles group.

Can I create new styles other than creating them and word and pasting text that uses them into RW?

Also, can I have created styles "stick" so that they are available in other topics?

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old September 9th, 2015, 08:55 PM
Styles are completely contained within their snippet and you can't create them within Realm Works, at least not any version of Realm Works I've had. I'm a little surprised that RW doesn't drop them from pasted text until they're either properly implemented or completely dropped (case depending).

Last edited by Parody; September 9th, 2015 at 09:00 PM.
Parody is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old September 10th, 2015, 09:25 AM
Hmm, never noticed that there are styles in the formatting (probably I did, but then immediately forgot again).

I don't seem to be able to add a new style as Parody already has mentioned.

Perhaps the idea behind the style system is this:

RW uses a few select styles for things like hyperlinks etc. So if you like your hyperlinks to be pink you can change them to that from the blue.

But this is pure speculation on my part.

Looking further into it, it seems to import (at least to an extend) the styles used in my LibreOffice Writer, when I copy'n'paste from it into a snippet.

But only that one snippet seems to get the styles - they are not inherited to the other snippets.

Well, basically I am just confirming what Parody already stated - although using a lot more words...

My guess is that this will be expanded upon at a later date.

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old September 10th, 2015, 08:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
I'm a little surprised that RW doesn't drop them from pasted text until they're either properly implemented or completely dropped (case depending).
NOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooo!

While styles are limited in their use because of they cannot be created within RW and those that are created from pasting formatted text are not available outside the topic containing the pasted text, it is still VERY useful.

I will sometimes write up my session notes in MS Word because the party meets only once a month for an eight-hour session and the session summary, between session notes, XP tables, etc. can get lengthy.

I love being able to past from Word to RW and have all the Word styles avaialble in that snippet.

ALSO, my little secret, is that I use a text-expander/macro program called PhraseExpress that allows for rich-text snippets. In particular, it allows me to create an "MS Word phrase." So, I can create a document with an outline with all the styles I want. Paste it into PE, and then give it a trigger word like:

#favformat

When I type #favformat and enter a space, I have a formatted outline AND all the styles are now available for that topic.

This allows me to to have style functionality in RW and have rich control over the formatting of text snippets. This is useful for some more text heavy topics.

E.g.:

ScreenClip.png

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #4 Reply With Quote