Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

swhite58

Old December 26th, 2012, 06:29 PM
We've just started playing Pathfinder, and we used HL form the start to create and print character sheets. Several players wanted their own HL licenses so they could maintain their own characters, so now we have three out of seven players with HL, plus me the GM. It has occurred to me that it wouldn't cost that much to get HL for the other four players, and then we can use it in-game, so they can record changes in state, barbarian rage, damage etc.

How many of you do this? Is it worth the money and effort? HL has quite modest system requirements, so I'm sure we can scavenge enough laptops to do the job.

Thanks
swhite58 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
bodrin

Old December 27th, 2012, 02:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by swhite58 View Post
How many of you do this? Is it worth the money and effort? HL has quite modest system requirements, so I'm sure we can scavenge enough laptops to do the job.

Thanks
I do, it's an expense but worth it for the convenience.

I GM and have all the player portfolios on my system linked into a Dropbox account. When the session is over any changes are propagated to my players and vice versa.

Dormio Forte Somnio

Community Created Resources :
Data Package Repositories :
d20pfsrd
Custom Character Sheets
Community Server Setup (Packs)

Hero Lab Help- Video Tutorials and Pathfinder FAQ

Created by the community for the community
bodrin is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Sketchpad

Old December 27th, 2012, 05:08 AM
Some of my players do. I think of the 8 players I have, 5 of the 8 use HL during play.

DT Butchino | Writer, Illustrator, Designer
DeviantArt|Facebook|Twitter
Sketchpad is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Umarian

Old December 27th, 2012, 08:14 AM
Our group uses it at the table. It makes life a lot easier. Especially at higher levels when you have a lot of buffs on the characters. It is hard to remember what your character has that gives it a Morale bonus (Just using that one as an example), but HL figures it out for you.

Plus trying to remember all the details of spells or abilities, all you have to do is hover over it to see what it does.

As a GM, having all of your players characters right there makes it easier for you as well. It has definately made gaming easier as both a player and a GM having it at the table. (Though you have to be careful with people surfing the net in game. Have to get onto people from time to time, but usually not a problem.)
Umarian is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
swhite58

Old December 27th, 2012, 05:51 PM
Thanks for the encouraging answers. I don't have or need many add-ons so it would only cost them $16 each. I can network all of the laptops but block internet access if necessary
swhite58 is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
chiefweasel

Old December 27th, 2012, 05:58 PM
All my players use it during game. I s the DM find the Tactical Console very useful as well.

Web site - Cheese Weasel Logistics - www.cheeseweasel.net
Twitter - @CheeseWeaselGMZ
For user created content check out www.d20pfsrd.com and www.cheeseweasel.net
For video demos of Hero Lab go to http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChiefweasel?blend=9&ob=5
chiefweasel is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old December 27th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Yea just wanted to say I think all my players are now using it at the game. One was a hold out for a few games saying he likes to do it on paper. But then saw how easy it was for everyone track stuff and apply conditions and buffs to a character.

After just two games he showed up with his Mac book and been using it HL at the game now also...

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Provos

Old December 27th, 2012, 09:38 PM
With the HeroLab character sheet for iPad comming out that will help for at the table as well.
Provos is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
The Great Rinaldo

Old December 28th, 2012, 10:05 AM
I have started using it at PFS games on my Windows 8 tablet (full version, not RT, so it runs desktop software), and it is marvelous. All my characters are in one place, and I don't have to manually calculate the effects of multiple buffs when the cavalier/bard and cleric both get going.
The Great Rinaldo is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old December 28th, 2012, 03:19 PM
My players are sadly jobless post High-schoolers, and being unable to buy things, they don't use it at the table. I wish they did though.
Aaron is offline   #10 Reply With Quote