Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

arcadian71omega

Old May 25th, 2012, 08:39 AM
I'm new to Hero Lab, and scripting/coding in general, so I'm really just getting started here. What I'm trying to do is mod a homebrew (heavily altered) version of the D20 rules that my RPG group uses. I want to modify the basic attribute bonus progression to something different than the D20 method of (att-10)/2. While searching through the "data.hlz" file (after copying the D20 game system), I found what I assume to be code designed to call a script or macro "call aGetBonus". Is this the script that HL uses to calculate the attribute mods for a character? If so, does anyone know where I could locate this resource? I'd like to either change it to calculate the mod according to my own scale, or write my own script to do the calculation. In the latter case, would I need to replace every instance of "call aGetBonus" with my own custom script, or is there a better way of doing this.

Thanks in advance for any guidance. I'm very new to writing code/scripts, and to Hero Lab in general.
arcadian71omega is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old May 25th, 2012, 10:26 AM
There really isn't any way to "globally" change something like this without a lot of work. I'll tell you what I did for my global changes. I have change the way the attack bonus from Strength (or Dexterity) works so that you only get 1/2 the bonus for "to hit" values. I bootstrapped a special with a script that subtracted out the amount from the attack values to all creature types in my game (Aberration, Humanoid, Monstrous Humanoid, etc.) and made sure each creature was assigned its type (that way I was essentially globally altering this, since all creatures have to have a type). In your case, what you will have to do is something similar, and bootstrap onto the hero through some common but global thing (usually an ability) what you want to the ability scores to actually do. Believe me, I have a heavily modified homebrew d20 campaign, and it is a lot of work to get things working, but it is quite rewarding in the end. I was not so ambitious though, as to change ability scores unfortunately.
Kendall-DM is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
arcadian71omega

Old May 25th, 2012, 11:56 AM
Thanks Kendall. I appreciate the response.
arcadian71omega is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
arcadian71omega

Old May 27th, 2012, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the assistance. I think I'm going to be making a great deal of use of the "replaces" function.
arcadian71omega is offline   #4 Reply With Quote