Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

RBSealey

Old March 22nd, 2018, 04:56 PM
Hero Lab seems to be stuck in some kind of update loop. When I start the app, it says I need to upgrade to V8.4c. I do that, and am then able to use the software. However, after I exit the software, the next time I start Hero Lab it insists I need to upgrade to V8.4c. If I ignore that and try to load Pathfinder or another game system, I get the message "The selected data files require a newer version of Hero Lab and cannot be loaded."

I tried uninstalling HL, downloading the current version, then re-installing it. The same thing continues to happen.
RBSealey is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Rone

Old March 23rd, 2018, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBSealey View Post
Hero Lab seems to be stuck in some kind of update loop. When I start the app, it says I need to upgrade to V8.4c. I do that, and am then able to use the software. However, after I exit the software, the next time I start Hero Lab it insists I need to upgrade to V8.4c. If I ignore that and try to load Pathfinder or another game system, I get the message "The selected data files require a newer version of Hero Lab and cannot be loaded."

I tried uninstalling HL, downloading the current version, then re-installing it. The same thing continues to happen.
This problem happens when someone has two copies of Hero Lab on their computer. One is installed in the "default" location, the other one is installed somewhere else. The problem might occur because you have a shortcut on your desktop or something to launch the one in the "other" location. But when it runs the update installer, it updates the one in the "default" location (because the installer gets confused if there are two installations), and then runs it after the installation is done. So right after the update, you're running the copy from the "default" location, which has been updated, so you're fine... but then you close it and run HL from your normal shortcut later and it runs the other copy in the "other" location which hasn't been updated. And so it wants you to run the installer again.

The simplest solution is for you to back up any custom data files, completely uninstall Hero Lab from your system, delete all versions of it, delete any shortcuts you have etc, then reinstall it. Then you'll be back to only having one version of it and everything will be fine.
Rone is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
RBSealey

Old March 23rd, 2018, 06:44 PM
Thanks for the quick response.
RBSealey is offline   #3 Reply With Quote