Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Shadowrun

Notices

Kyuhunter

Old June 6th, 2017, 07:20 AM
I was building a Character with Move-by-Wire, a Skilljack Rating 6 and a Chipjack Rating 6. If I'm correct this should give me 36 ((6+6)*3) available "Ratings" for Skillsofts and 6 additional Slots for physical Chips. But Herolab only lets me add 21 ((6+1)*3). Is my Math off or am I missing something? Or is it a Herolab bug?

Kyuhunter
Kyuhunter is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Kiirnodel

Old June 6th, 2017, 12:15 PM
I just tested this quickly, I added a Skilljack Rating 6 and a Chipjack Rating 6 then added 7 Rating 6 Skillsofts (I did this twice, once with Knowsofts and once with Activesofts after adding a Move-By-Wire 3).
The error message that popped up said that I was over my Skillsoft limit of 36. I went in and turned off one of the activesofts and the error went away.

Your math isn't off, but there might be something that you're missing since I didn't encounter the same error. Are you sure you have the Chipjack at Rating 6?
Kiirnodel is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Kyuhunter

Old June 7th, 2017, 03:34 AM
Reinstalled HeroLab now everything is working fine. Thanks!
As a followup question: Where can I add the Skillchips for the Chipjack?
Kyuhunter is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Kiirnodel

Old June 7th, 2017, 01:22 PM
That was actually something that I wasn't sure of what they meant in the actual book. Nothing about the augmentations mentions anything about there being a limitation on how many skillsofts can run on a skilljack (aside from the previously mentioned limitations on total rating). And with the wireless world going on, there doesn't really seem to be any reason to keep things loaded on individual skillchips.

The Chipjack mentions expanding room for more Skillchips, but there doesn't seem to be any reason to need room for more in the first place.

As far as HeroLab goes, it doesn't really work to organize your gear, so in general it is best to just use it as a utility for what programs are running at any given time. As for where your programs are stored and where you're keeping things, I think that is generally better left for a user side, how do you keep your gear organized.
Kiirnodel is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
adzling

Old June 9th, 2017, 06:45 AM
you are limited in the number of skills you can run at once, regardless of how you came by them (wireless or physical chips).

So the chipjack has utility even for wireless skills.

you can add the skills to the chipjack in hero lab in the "program" ares of the chipjack (click on the chipjack's wrench icon in your augment list)
adzling is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Kyuhunter

Old June 11th, 2017, 01:29 PM
I should be able to run (Rating of the Chipjack in physical Chips) + (Rating of Chipjack + Rating of Skillwires)*2 Ratings of Skillsofts/Knowsofts/Linguasofts.
Each chipjack Rating adds one slot for an additional,
physical skillchip that can be accessed by the skilljack
along with any skillsofts already in storage. In addition, the
chipjack Rating adds to the skilljack Rating when determining
the total skillsoft Ratings that can run simultaneously.

Last edited by Kyuhunter; June 11th, 2017 at 01:33 PM.
Kyuhunter is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Kiirnodel

Old June 11th, 2017, 09:16 PM
A Chipjack does two things.

1) It adds to the rating of your Skilljack for the purposes of calculating the total Ratings of skillsofts you can run at the same time. This part was already solved (reinstalling HeroLab made it work correctly).

2) The chipjack adds additional slots for skillchips.
This is a concept that isn't actually discussed anywhere, Skillchips aren't even mentioned in the Core Rulebook (and only mentioned once outside of the description for Chipjacks).
Based on the context, my assumption is that skillchips are just supposed to be the physical media that skillsofts are stored on. So the bonus from a Chipjack for additional skillchip slots is akin to having a usb hub adding additional usb ports for your computer.
The only problem with that is that (since skillchips are never detailed anywhere) there isn't any apparent need for skillchip slots. There isn't any limitation anywhere about how many skillsofts can be loaded on a single skillchip, and of course if you are running wirelessly there isn't any apparent need for skillchips at all.

In any case, as adzling pointed out, if you want to simulate skillsofts being loaded on the chipjack vs loaded on the skilljack, you can put skillsofts on either one and HeroLab will find them no problem.
Kiirnodel is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
adzling

Old June 19th, 2017, 07:06 AM
those "slots" also limit how many skillsofts you can run at once (chipped or loaded wirelessly).

So they are a limit on how many different skills you can run at once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiirnodel View Post
A Chipjack does two things.

1) It adds to the rating of your Skilljack for the purposes of calculating the total Ratings of skillsofts you can run at the same time. This part was already solved (reinstalling HeroLab made it work correctly).

2) The chipjack adds additional slots for skillchips.
This is a concept that isn't actually discussed anywhere, Skillchips aren't even mentioned in the Core Rulebook (and only mentioned once outside of the description for Chipjacks).
Based on the context, my assumption is that skillchips are just supposed to be the physical media that skillsofts are stored on. So the bonus from a Chipjack for additional skillchip slots is akin to having a usb hub adding additional usb ports for your computer.
The only problem with that is that (since skillchips are never detailed anywhere) there isn't any apparent need for skillchip slots. There isn't any limitation anywhere about how many skillsofts can be loaded on a single skillchip, and of course if you are running wirelessly there isn't any apparent need for skillchips at all.

In any case, as adzling pointed out, if you want to simulate skillsofts being loaded on the chipjack vs loaded on the skilljack, you can put skillsofts on either one and HeroLab will find them no problem.
adzling is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Kiirnodel

Old June 20th, 2017, 12:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adzling View Post
those "slots" also limit how many skillsofts you can run at once (chipped or loaded wirelessly).

So they are a limit on how many different skills you can run at once.
That's not clear, and the original skilljack doesn't make any mention of a limit to the number of individual skillsofts that can be run in the first place. It only mentions a limit to the total combined rating of skillsofts.

If the chipjack adds extra slots, how many does a skillsoft come with by default? We can't assume 1, because that would make the default limit of double to triple rating for total skillsofts completely useless. We can't assume rating either for the same reason (otherwise a Rating 1 would be unable to run up to x3). We could try to assume 2 or 3 is the starting amount, but then a skilljack would only be able to run 2 (3 with wireless) skillsofts at a time, which is clearly not the intent with the way they calculate the limit.

So if we go by what's initially available in the Core Rulebook, the only reasonable answer is 3xRating. Because by default (if we really wanted to), we could install a Rating 6 Skilljack, which can run up to 18 total Ratings of Skillsofts if Wireless on. We could run all 18 of that total as 18 individual Rating 1 Skillsofts.

I think the comment about additional slots for Skillchips is either fluff or chaff.
Kiirnodel is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
adzling

Old June 22nd, 2017, 03:53 PM
So we both have a point...

"Each chipjack Rating adds one slot for an additional, physical skillchip that can be accessed by the skilljack along with any skillsofts already in storage."

So a rating 3 chipjack confers 3 additional chip slots.

The Skilljack description in core doesn't say anything about physical chip slots.

iirc in previous editions the Skilljack had the same slot count as it's rating, just like the chipjack.

It looks like that got left out of the description in 5e.

I'll kick it up to the errata team.
adzling is offline   #10 Reply With Quote