Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

nylanfs

Old September 5th, 2017, 04:38 AM
I'll also note that while I don't personally use Hero Lab for D&D, or Pathfinder, I do use it for Shadowrun 4e & 5e, and while I'm sure that it will be a while for those sets to be transferred over to HLO I will not be using it in the future. I am VERY much against a subscription model for a niche hobby. I'm also leary of any type of software where I am not in control of my data.

Paul "Yes that Paul" Grosse
PCGen BoD - PR Silverback
Forums: Nylanfs (or Nylan)

Hero Lab Shadowrun 4E & 5e user
nylanfs is offline   #81
Toblakai

Old September 5th, 2017, 07:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nylanfs View Post
I'll also note that while I don't personally use Hero Lab for D&D, or Pathfinder, I do use it for Shadowrun 4e & 5e, and while I'm sure that it will be a while for those sets to be transferred over to HLO I will not be using it in the future. I am VERY much against a subscription model for a niche hobby. I'm also leary of any type of software where I am not in control of my data.
So the PCGen shill shows up again. So you don't use any online service? (banks, shopping,etc) Because they have your "data" and you aren't in control of it. And OMG someone may hack in and steal all your characters!!111!

I don't really consider the $2/month a subscription, more of a server access/maintenance fee. They need to keep the servers up, and since it is a "niche" market, they don't have a lot of products to sell to keep the servers up and running.
Toblakai is offline   #82
Alewis

Old September 5th, 2017, 08:43 AM
HLO would have been a fine idea if it wasn't presented in such a way that it appears to be a replacement for Classic and we're being compelled to pay for things we already own. Making Starfinder exclusive to HLO gives the impression that any future systems added will also be Online only, further compelling us to buy in.
Alewis is offline   #83
DeltaMasterMind

Old September 5th, 2017, 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alewis View Post
HLO would have been a fine idea if it wasn't presented in such a way that it appears to be a replacement for Classic and we're being compelled to pay for things we already own. Making Starfinder exclusive to HLO gives the impression that any future systems added will also be Online only, further compelling us to buy in.
True, at least that is how I take it. Although I am cool with the FAQ they released. Perhaps I buy into rhetoric easily, but that is my choice to make.
DeltaMasterMind is offline   #84
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 6th, 2017, 12:39 AM
This thread is officially being closed due to there being too many similarly named threads with overlapping information. Please post further questions and comments about Hero Lab Online and Starfinder within the thread linked below:
http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=59134

Thanks!
rob is offline   #85
Closed Thread