Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

View Poll Results: Which game systems would you most like to see supported by Hero Lab?
Call of Cthulhu 83 18.86%
Cthulutech 43 9.77%
d6 System (West End Games) 68 15.45%
d20 Modern 92 20.91%
d20 System Epic Support 55 12.50%
d20 System mechanics (starting point for other d20 games) 95 21.59%
Dark Heresy 125 28.41%
Eclipse Phase 79 17.95%
Exalted 122 27.73%
Hollow Earth Expedition 29 6.59%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 440. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Necromancer

Old February 4th, 2012, 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say it's because they're a small company and still don't have support for all the current games they want to include. If we had it our way, they'd be programming gods who stay up countless hours on nothing but caffeinated beverages and slave away for our benefit. Oh, wait...

Ultimately, if there's a market for it (and already I would guess that there's at least a market for AD&D 2e), and it's legally viable, they probably will. It's just going to take a bit of time. I will have to admit, though, that Hero Lab is helping me get into other gaming systems that I've wanted to play and never bothered with. I'm dabbling a bit in WoD and Savage Worlds now thanks to these guys. There are some benefits to having current systems ready to go at your fingertips...
That's what i say.... There is market for older games.. (not only AD&D 2nd edition). And as i saw... They lisence a game system (and i think all of the stuffs for it). So they have much easier way than the fans.... (in the case when they can't download everything for a game system from warez or P2P...but mostly these not hte best quality and not all the stuffs). So i don't say that its an easy task... but they are programmers...so not as hard as for me... And they take the money not me... Therefore i wrote... It's a great stuff... but without the support of the great old games (or the version of the great old times of a game).. it's useless.... i follow my favorite games versions... and the newers...are full of crap... and i think many old gamers think the same... And its a big market... Forexample i'll buy the program if they would publish the 2nd edition package... i use up the free package... maybe they publish 3rd too (thats a small modification) thats worth 10-15-20 bucks.... thats tha same with earthdawn, cp, ALIENS, oWoD...So i would spend 150-200 or more bucks approx. for all of these stuffs...Without these i only wait for them... Most of the new games are shits... But the good part of this... They safe me money.... So i look what they come out with...
Necromancer is offline   #81
Joshua

Old February 4th, 2012, 09:00 PM
Good points. I'd give them time.

There is an authoring kit that also provides access to user-built games, and I'm wondering if any of them are replicas of some older systems done as a 3rd party release. I've been toying with the idea of purchasing the authoring kit just to have access to any other systems people are coming out with. Could be worth while.
Joshua is offline   #82
PhilAdams

Old February 6th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Support for Eclipse Phase would be awesome.
PhilAdams is offline   #83
RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old February 6th, 2012, 06:00 PM
Quote:
If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say it's because they're a small company and still don't have support for all the current games they want to include. If we had it our way, they'd be programming gods who stay up countless hours on nothing but caffeinated beverages and slave away for our benefit. Oh, wait...

Ultimately, if there's a market for it (and already I would guess that there's at least a market for AD&D 2e), and it's legally viable, they probably will. It's just going to take a bit of time. I will have to admit, though, that Hero Lab is helping me get into other gaming systems that I've wanted to play and never bothered with. I'm dabbling a bit in WoD and Savage Worlds now thanks to these guys. There are some benefits to having current systems ready to go at your fingertips.
It depends on the publisher too. Yes there is a market for AD&D 2e. Don't expect to see it in Hero Lab anytime soon though. WotC stopped all PDF sales of their products, both older edition and current edition sales in a move to stop online piracy of their products. So older edition data is not as easy to come by for dungeons and dragons. Though Monte Cook is working on 5.0 with a think tank and input from players. I suggest you and anyone else that is interested head over to wotc's dnd website to put your input in for the new edition of the game if you haven't already done so.
RavenX is offline   #84
Joshua

Old February 7th, 2012, 06:40 AM
Ah, I didn't even think of the publisher end. Though truth be told, I'm done with WotC. Wizards is not really on my "good companies to support" list.

Ultimately though it's just that Pathfinder suits my needs a lot better than D&D products these days, and I just don't have a reason to change to a new system when the one I have works well. Curiosity might make me look, but I doubt they'll come out with a product that'll make me spend hundreds of dollars on them again after investing so heavily in Pathfinder.

If I were to make a change of my "main" gaming system, I'd probably just switch to GURPS. I love it. It's just hard to get other folks to give it a shot if they haven't before. Failing that, I'd just go back to AD&D 2e. So there are three big ones ahead of any new D&D rules system, unfortunately. Kudos to Monte Cook, though. He has a pretty clever mind, which is why I'd be curious enough to peek at what he comes up with.
Joshua is offline   #85
fasthd97

Old February 29th, 2012, 10:05 AM
Earthdawn
fasthd97 is offline   #86
Riskor-Idan

Old March 4th, 2012, 02:39 AM
I know this is a clone... How about Castles & Crusades? I have been trying to do it on the authoring kit but I am a simple old soldier who loves to game but can't quite grasp the 'fun' parts of programming...

That is the price you pay for being one of the finest!
Riskor-Idan is offline   #87
RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old April 19th, 2012, 05:39 PM
Quote:
Ah, I didn't even think of the publisher end. Though truth be told, I'm done with WotC. Wizards is not really on my "good companies to support" list.

Ultimately though it's just that Pathfinder suits my needs a lot better than D&D products these days, and I just don't have a reason to change to a new system when the one I have works well. Curiosity might make me look, but I doubt they'll come out with a product that'll make me spend hundreds of dollars on them again after investing so heavily in Pathfinder.

If I were to make a change of my "main" gaming system, I'd probably just switch to GURPS. I love it. It's just hard to get other folks to give it a shot if they haven't before. Failing that, I'd just go back to AD&D 2e. So there are three big ones ahead of any new D&D rules system, unfortunately. Kudos to Monte Cook, though. He has a pretty clever mind, which is why I'd be curious enough to peek at what he comes up with.
The publisher end becomes part of the deal as you have to license some of the data sometimes. Working out a deal with a company for the data can be difficult, especially out of print things. I have been thinking of doing the 2e data but it will not be an easy project. As there are no electronic copies of the books out there that are legal, it would mean hours of typing from hard copies along with setting up the infrastructure to handle the system from the skeleton files. Right now I don't have the free time to touch that project.

I noticed some people have posted that they'd like Traveller, I am just hoping they're referring to the non-mongoose versions of it floating around. The last time Mongoose took a crack at it they put in a nice chapter of feats and no way for players to select them for their characters. That would be a major screw up on publishing and made me not want to play with their product.
RavenX is offline   #88
thom1111

Old April 30th, 2012, 04:43 PM
My group would like to have the Warhammer 40k RPG's (Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade) represented.

Last edited by thom1111; April 30th, 2012 at 04:55 PM.
thom1111 is offline   #89
Jemstone

Old May 13th, 2012, 04:08 PM
I'm coming in late to this party, but I'd like to throw my chips into the pot, if I could, with the following suggestions:

Cyberpunk 2020
Mekton Z
Fuzion

I say this not only as a writer for these three products (Hi!), but as someone who has heard many times at conventions the phrase "Man, I wish I had a decent character builder for this game."

Authoring kit is an answer, sure, but speaking as someone who would love to do more small-press work with these games (I also run Atomic Rocket Games, but that doesn't mean much since my day job bit me on the ass), I'd be more than happy to pitch the idea of Hero Lab at R. Talsorian's honcho.
Jemstone is offline   #90
Closed Thread