Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Harbinger

Old October 11th, 2007, 12:03 PM
What are additional datafiles, after the first which is included in the purchase of herolab, likely to cost?
Harbinger is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 16th, 2007, 02:49 PM
At 01:03 PM 10/11/2007, you wrote:
Quote:
What are additional datafiles, after the first which is included in the purchase of herolab, likely to cost?
The cost of additional data files will vary. Ultimately, the publisher of the game system has significant influence in the final amount, but we also have input. We are also working with the publishers to include more than the just the core book material into each data file set, but this is at the discretion of the publisher.

At present, the only additional set of data files for which the content and price is finalized is the Vampire / World of Darkness game system due out any time now. These data files will include all the material from three books: the Vampire the Requiem core book, the World of Darkness core book, and the Armory supplement. The price point will be $20 for users who have already purchased HL for d20. Alternately, users who have not yet purchased HL will be able to purchase HL and activate it specifically for VtR/WoD as part of that initial purchase. If a user chooses this option, they will later be able to purchase access to the d20 System for an additional $20 if they wish. Basically, when you purchase HL, you'll pick one game system of your choice that is included in the purchase, and this choice will be made when you activate your license for the first time.
rob is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
FifthWanderer
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old October 21st, 2007, 01:07 PM
I was hoping it would be lower, but I figure it's worth the $20 not to have to write the damn files myself. :lol:
FifthWanderer is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Harbinger

Old October 22nd, 2007, 08:52 AM
That's a little high for me.
At those prices I will have to be really picky about which datafiles I choose to buy, rather than buying them on impulse just to "play with".
Harbinger is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
TCArknight

Old October 23rd, 2007, 03:01 PM
I've already got the d20 dataset license, and I see two more for me at least the MnM and the Serenity/Cortex sets when they come out.

Well worth it even if I don't play often....

TC
TCArknight is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 5th, 2007, 01:16 AM
At 08:52 AM 10/22/2007, Harbinger wrote:
Quote:
That's a little high for me.
At those prices I will have to be really picky about which datafiles I choose to buy, rather than buying them on impulse just to "play with".
You'll have the ability to "play with" the data files in demo mode all you want. For game systems you regularly play, we figure $20 will be well worth the time savings. Please remember that the cost is also impacted by the fact that we have to pay licensing fees to the publishers. :-)
rob is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
zwyt

Old November 18th, 2007, 09:02 PM
I don't think $20 is unreasonable. If ya think about it when you plug a new game system into Hero Lab with the way that it is set up, it is almost like getting what would have been a whole new character generator in previous generations of software, except you have the familiar Hero Lab engine behind it.
zwyt is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 22nd, 2007, 01:25 PM
At 10:02 PM 11/18/2007, you wrote:
Quote:
If ya think about it when you plug a new game system into Hero Lab with the way that it is set up, it is almost like getting what would have been a whole new character generator in previous generations of software, except you have the familiar Hero Lab engine behind it.
Someone else has seen our vision! :-)

The overall goal for HL is to have a single, consistent, easy-to-use interface that can be readily adapted to the nuances of each distinct game system. So there's no need to learn multiple different ways of doing things with different tools. I don't know how many of you play multiple game systems, but virtually everyone I know plays a bunch of different systems. Hence the concept for HL....
rob is offline   #8 Reply With Quote