Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

Flappi

Old June 28th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Hello,

The tutorial says that there is a "class variant" tab in the editor, but I can't find it. I want only allow the wizard to have some choice of feats instead of scribe scroll at level 1, and it would be very, very tedious to duplicate each spell only for that...

Some other questions (I don't think it's a good idea to create 3 subject at the same time):

Is there a way to change the ability tied to spell DC ? If I want to use the Charisma for spell DC (but keep the normal ability for bonus slot and concentration check), is there a simple way to do this ? (the only idea I have so far is to change the field "cSplSaveDC" for the different classes; remove the normal ability bonus and add the Charisma bonus; I don't even know if it would work)

Is it possible to have a "spell DC" adjustment in the adjustment tab ?

Is there a way to access the sources of the Pathfinder module, and is it legal ? As you see, I have many houserules to integrate, and it would be far easier if I could see how everything is working (without modifying anything, just be able to directly see how a thing is computed, and how I could use a script in the editor to change the computation).

Last edited by Flappi; June 28th, 2010 at 02:07 PM.
Flappi is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old June 28th, 2010, 02:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flappi View Post
Is there a way to access the sources of the Pathfinder module, and is it legal ? As you see, I have many houserules to integrate, and it would be far easier if I could see how everything is working (without modifying anything, just be able to directly see how a thing is computed, and how I could use a script in the editor to change the computation).
When you say sources I assume you mean like source code or in HL the scripts that actually run Things like feats and such?

If that is the case you can go into the editor and in each tab is a blue button bottom left corner called NEW(Copy). This will allow you copy in any existing thing already in HL. This will also bring down any scripts attached to the Thing. This is the best way to learn HL and to integrate your house rules.

On top of this you can use a Replaces Thing ID to have your custom/house rule version of a Thing get used instead of the core HL version. Trust me I have plenty of house rules also and it has been very easy to copy and tweak those changes into HL.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Flappi

Old June 28th, 2010, 03:07 PM
No, everything isn't handled by scripts. For example, I don't think the computation of the general spell DC is handled by a script; or when I have implemented the fractional BAB, I couldn't access to the script which compute BAB, since it's not a script.

eg: I have a special huserule to prevent multiclassed character to have too many class skill (I'm trying this house rule in Pathfinder, because a class skill gives you a high flat bonus to the skill: only 1 level as rogue gives you too much skill bonus everywhere). The houserule is, each time you gains a level, a fixed number of skills becomes class skills (you chose which of them from your class skill list; the number of class skill you gain is high enough to allow you to have all skill from the list after a few level - but not after only one level).

For now, I didn't use this houserule for NPC. Creating NPC is tedious enough without that. With hero lab, I could integrate this feature automatically... But I can't think about any existing Thing which looks like that. I'd have to rewrite every classes, without class skills, and with a special power which add class skills every level. I don't think I will implement that. x)

Or, I could change the way the class skill are handled by the main routine. Or, more accurately, look at the way they are handled, and try to create a mechanic which interfere with this part of the routine, in order to give the result I want without changing the classes.

(Or I can wait for a "class variant" tab if it should be available in a near future... But it should be easier to add this as part of the main mechanic)
Flappi is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old June 28th, 2010, 03:28 PM
Oh your trying to change the base mechanics of Pathfinder and thus HL itself. That gets into what I think they call the Structure files and that I don't think we have any way to directly change that or at least to do it easily.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old June 28th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Class Variants have not been converted to Pathfinder yet (and there are still some elements of the documentation left over from the d20 files - the variant classes work there, but the changes to how class specials are designed mean that I need to re-think how things are handled). They're almost certainly something I'll need for the APG, so they're coming.
Mathias is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old June 28th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flappi View Post
Is there a way to change the ability tied to spell DC ? If I want to use the Charisma for spell DC (but keep the normal ability for bonus slot and concentration check), is there a simple way to do this ? (the only idea I have so far is to change the field "cSplSaveDC" for the different classes; remove the normal ability bonus and add the Charisma bonus; I don't even know if it would work)
On the Class tab in the editor, change the attribute listed as "Bonus Spell Attribute"
Mathias is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Flappi

Old June 28th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
That gets into what I think they call the Structure files and that I don't think we have any way to directly change that or at least to do it easily.
Change this kind of thing is never a good idea; but see it can be instructive. But not only I don't know how to see it, but I don't know if it's legal: that's why I ask on this forum (if it's not legal, they will say it quite clearly x) ).

In fact, it seem that everything the structure file does is submitted to the phase and order rules; therefore, it's very easy to interfere with any computation without changing the structure file: you have just to add a mechanic which does the computation you need just after the structure has done the normal computation. Further computations will use the values you computed instead of normal value. The only missing thing in order to easily interfere with the structure file is then... reading access to the structure file.

Last edited by Flappi; June 28th, 2010 at 03:57 PM.
Flappi is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old June 28th, 2010, 03:46 PM
We don't make the structural files for our packaged game systems available to users.
Mathias is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Flappi

Old June 29th, 2010, 01:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
On the Class tab in the editor, change the attribute listed as "Bonus Spell Attribute"
But there are only entries for:
* bonus spell attribute.
* max level spell attribute.

What I want is:
* Use Cha to compute the save DC.
* Use Int for everything else: bonus slot per level, concentration check, etc.
Flappi is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
dartnet

Old June 29th, 2010, 07:06 AM
I think what Flappi is asking for is the Variant class tab on the editor to be added.
dartnet is offline   #10 Reply With Quote