Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds

Notices

SeeleyOne

Old April 13th, 2017, 03:53 PM
You could probably put it inside the normal one. I have it separate because I wondered if perhaps the editor, not seeing, might mess with it.

For limiting the 1) to two, I would make two versions, each being unique like I did with the attribute advances. Hero Lab does not interact with Advances like it does the other things so it would not see if you tried to specify how many times. Also, you cannot preclude an Advance (like if you have a setting that wants to turn one off).

An idea for 2) is to see if you can make one that has the Knowledge skill bootstrapped twice. I do not know if an Advance can bootstrap anything, but if it can, you can bootstrap something to the same object more than once.

Evil wins because good rolls poorly .... or the players are not paying enough attention to the game.
SeeleyOne is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old April 13th, 2017, 05:18 PM
Worth a try. Thanks.
Paragon is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old April 13th, 2017, 05:39 PM
Well at least the first part works--I'd initially had an error, but it turned out to be a cut and paste artifact.

Last edited by Paragon; April 13th, 2017 at 05:52 PM.
Paragon is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old April 13th, 2017, 06:11 PM
Well, the Knowledge bootstrapping worked, but I'm getting a couple of issues:

1. Its giving an error message:

Attempt to access non-existent containing entity from script
Location: 'eval' script for Component 'Advance' (Eval Script 'Accrue Advances') near line 3
- - -
Location: 'eval' script for Component 'Advance' (Eval Script '#6') near line 11
- - -
Location: 'eval' script for Component 'Advance' (Eval Script '#6') near line 16

2. Its counting me as having used two more skill points from initial construction. I'm guessing I could fix that by adjusting the skill points with a script, unless there's a better way to do it.
Paragon is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old April 13th, 2017, 09:01 PM
I would have to see the first one to comment.

As for the second, I would have a mechanic that looks for the Advances and then credits the skill points.

This starts the search
Code:
   ~ Check for spent Advances
   foreach pick in hero from Advance sortas _CompSeq_
This searches for one of the Advances, in this case my Novice Attribute
Code:
if (eachpick.tagis[AdvanceId.advAttriN] <> 0) then
Then inside that if statement, with your new advance as advAttriN, you would have it add the skill points.

Evil wins because good rolls poorly .... or the players are not paying enough attention to the game.
SeeleyOne is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old April 13th, 2017, 09:05 PM
Oh, I do not think that an Advance can have an eval script. That is probably what you are doing based on that comment. Make a mechanic that then evaluates it. Give it the source for your data file.

Actually, I don't put sources on my mechanics, I enclose them in something like
Code:
if (hero.tagis[source.CivSav] = 1) then
I do not recall why I started to do this, only that some mechanics work better that way. I think that it had to do with NPCs and creatures, as they often do not apply sources correctly.

SeeleyOne is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old April 14th, 2017, 06:58 AM
I probably tried to do it too quick and dirty, since all the advance I've got written really does is the bootstrap. I probably should have tried adapting more of CC's code (since that worked with the first part) but its extensive and I frankly don't understand some of it, so I was trying to keep it simple. It probably means there's things missing I need there.
Paragon is offline   #27 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old April 14th, 2017, 06:41 PM
Okay, did a bit more work with it, and it turns out you can do an eval script in an Advance. So I managed to fix the second part of the issue with the two bootstrapped Knowledge skills, but apparently I'm still missing things I need to put in the Advance, because though its working I'm getting an error message. First, let me show the code I'm using for the Advance (its very simple, which is probably the problem; I probably need some of the components from the code CC gave me, but I don't know which parts, and if I try to use it all it doesn't work):

Code:
<thing id="advBEKnCL" name="Computerized Library Knowledges" compset="Advance" description="Acquire two new Knowledges at a d4 rating." uniqueness="unique">
    <bootstrap thing="skKnow"></bootstrap>
    <bootstrap thing="skKnow"></bootstrap>
    <eval phase="PreTraits" priority="5000"><![CDATA[perform #resspent[resSkill,-,2,"Computerized Library Knowledges"]]]></eval>
    </thing>
This shows and is selectable as an advance, and properly bootstraps two Knowledges, and properly offsets the skill point cost. However when I do it I get the following errors:

"Attempt to access non-existent containing entity from script
Location: 'eval' script for Component 'Advance' (Eval Script 'Accrue Advances') near line 3
- - -
Location: 'eval' script for Component 'Advance' (Eval Script '#6') near line 11
- - -
Location: 'eval' script for Component 'Advance' (Eval Script '#6') near line 16"

Now I could probably just go put the damn thing in as an Edge and let the rest of the process do its magic, but if I can do it directly as an Advance, since I'm doing the other one that way I'd rather do this one like that, too.

Anyone's help is much appreciated here.
Paragon is offline   #28 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old April 14th, 2017, 09:00 PM
I am curious if having the Advance bootstrap an Edge instead might work better. Sometimes Edges work more easily than skills.

SeeleyOne is offline   #29 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old April 15th, 2017, 06:57 AM
Well, if I'm going to use an edge, I can just use the normal Advance process; not like I couldn't have an Edge bootstrap the skills and offset the cost. I'd prefer to do it directly with the Advance, though.
Paragon is offline   #30 Reply With Quote