Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Illyahr

Old August 29th, 2016, 04:30 PM
I'm trying to set up the Hengeyokai from Oriental Adventures. There are a few versions, based on what kind of animal they turn into. I made one generic "Alternate Form" that has the skills in common they share, but each one also gets something specific.

I want to know what I'd need to put as a condition so that race-specific bootstraps only trigger when the hIsOn1 and hIsOn2 fields of the Alternate Form ability are on.

Right now I have: fieldval:rHengeAlt.hIsOn2 = 1

The program doesn't recognize what I'm trying to do so how should it read instead?
Illyahr is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old August 30th, 2016, 03:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illyahr View Post
I'm trying to set up the Hengeyokai from Oriental Adventures. There are a few versions, based on what kind of animal they turn into. I made one generic "Alternate Form" that has the skills in common they share, but each one also gets something specific.

I want to know what I'd need to put as a condition so that race-specific bootstraps only trigger when the hIsOn1 and hIsOn2 fields of the Alternate Form ability are on.

Right now I have: fieldval:rHengeAlt.hIsOn2 = 1

The program doesn't recognize what I'm trying to do so how should it read instead?
Might be a timing issue. There are a couple of options here. You can apply a race tag or set one of the Value fields based on the player's selection. Then use that as your basis for the conditional. If you continue to struggle, feel free to send the file to me and I'll take a look.
Sendric is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Illyahr

Old August 30th, 2016, 10:27 AM
I keep getting an error: non-existent field 'rHengeAlt' referenced by tag expression
Illyahr is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old August 31st, 2016, 03:55 AM
Quote:
I keep getting an error: non-existent field 'rHengeAlt' referenced by tag expression
Oh, yes. Sorry. You can't do bootstrap conditions like that. When you use the fieldval evaluation, it has to be a value on the thing you are putting the bootstrap on. Therefore, the conditional would have to be placed on "rHengeAlt" thusly:

Code:
fieldval:hIsOn2 = 1
Check out this post for more on bootstrap conditions:

http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=47611
Sendric is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Illyahr

Old August 31st, 2016, 08:35 AM
I was afraid of that. The problem is that 'rHengeAlt' doesn't give the same abilities to all the Hengeyokai. Only Low-Light Vision is shared between all of them.

Is it possible to turn a thing, eg. claw and bite, on and off from the eval area?
Illyahr is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old August 31st, 2016, 08:56 AM
Quote:
I was afraid of that. The problem is that 'rHengeAlt' doesn't give the same abilities to all the Hengeyokai. Only Low-Light Vision is shared between all of them.

Is it possible to turn a thing, eg. claw and bite, on and off from the eval area?
Not currently. I believe there is a Hide.Weapon tag in the works that could help in this case. Otherwise, my recommendation would be to create a feat chooser that allows the player to select which alternate form the character is using and from there bootstrap the necessary items.
Sendric is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Illyahr

Old August 31st, 2016, 11:50 AM
Tried that with the Bind Vestige feat from Tome of Magic. Could never get it to work properly. All the bootstraps and conditions looked right but I could never get all the abilities to appear properly. Too many moving parts I guess.

I'll probably have to make it a separate ability for each of the dozen types of Hengeyokai. Oh well.

Thanks
Illyahr is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old August 31st, 2016, 12:22 PM
Quote:
Tried that with the Bind Vestige feat from Tome of Magic. Could never get it to work properly. All the bootstraps and conditions looked right but I could never get all the abilities to appear properly. Too many moving parts I guess.

I'll probably have to make it a separate ability for each of the dozen types of Hengeyokai. Oh well.

Thanks
Hmm...I'll take a look at the Bind Vestige feat. No reason that can't be done.
Sendric is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Illyahr

Old September 4th, 2016, 03:18 PM
Ok, making a bootstrap condition tree like Bind Vestige but came across a slight issue.

To get Bind Vestige to select a vestige, the line "field[ftCandExpr].text" was used but the same line isn't allowing me to select a Hengeyokai race. How do I make a special ability have a drop-down selection?

Last edited by Illyahr; September 5th, 2016 at 06:34 PM.
Illyahr is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old September 6th, 2016, 04:43 AM
Quote:
Ok, making a bootstrap condition tree like Bind Vestige but came across a slight issue.

To get Bind Vestige to select a vestige, the line "field[ftCandExpr].text" was used but the same line isn't allowing me to select a Hengeyokai race. How do I make a special ability have a drop-down selection?
There are only three things that use drop down selections. They are class specials, feats, and adjustments. Since this is for a race, you can't use class specials, so you have to use either feats or adjustments. I tend to use feats as that seems less clunky than using adjustments.
Sendric is offline   #10 Reply With Quote