Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Mutants & Masterminds

Notices

Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old April 26th, 2013, 04:46 AM
Bought up in an Atomic Think Tank post, it's still possible to raise the number of ranks of Area (Perception) past 2 (i.e. if you have a Damage 10 power, it costs 10 pp. Adding Area (Perception) bumps it to 20 pp. If said Damage was already Sense-Dependent, Area (Perception) should be able to be brought up to 2 ranks for a total cost of 30 pp). It's an easy enough fix on the face of it, changing maximum ranks to 2, but it raises two other questions. First, Area (Perception) and Sense-Dependent are already mutually exclusively. Secondly, Dazzle, the usual go-to for inherently Sense-Dependent attacks (the other being Obscure), isn't marked as a Sensory power and therefore doesn't trigger anything if you add Sense-Dependent (other powers, like Concealment, raise a flag since they're already Sense-Dependent). Probably, the best route would be for Sense-Dependent (or Sensory) attacks automatically bumping Area (Perception) up to 2 ranks, with 2 as the maximum, but letting the player adjust it up to two ranks if it's sensory and they don't cop to it.

So, long story short, there's an easy fix (setting max ranks to 2) and a more tricky one (making consistent the use of Area (Perception) and Sense-Dependent). To be honest, I say going with the first one because there are too many corner cases involved (what if you utter a word that makes people go blind (Dazzle (Sight) with Area (Perception) (Hearing))? What if you have a power that grants everyone who can see you Concealment or Super-Senses? :-P Right, I've managed to convince myself that the simple fix is the right way to go here...
Duggan is offline   #1 Reply With Quote