Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Authoring Kit

Notices

EightBitz

Old January 6th, 2018, 08:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duggan View Post
That's a possibility. I partly limited the list because otherwise it's just way too much.

I also got it to avoid allowing skill duplication.
Not trying to be facetious here, because there are some things I still don't grasp very well, but can't you avoid skill duplication by designating each skill as "add once" or "is unique" or something like that?
EightBitz is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old January 6th, 2018, 08:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EightBitz View Post
Not trying to be facetious here, because there are some things I still don't grasp very well, but can't you avoid skill duplication by designating each skill as "add once" or "is unique" or something like that?
Ah, well, in this system, everyone has every skill at the start, just at 0 ranks. There's no such thing as a "Trained skill". The system for Advances is that, at the end of a successful job, every player chooses to either gain a new Skill Specialty, or to advance three different skills (two of which are supposed to be skills that they used) by one point each. Anyhow, because every skill chosen is a Pick on the Advance, I just modified the code so that it excluded any skill that already existed. So, when in the dialog, if you set two of the skill choices to Athletics and Xenobiology, the selection logic for the third one is "Skill.? & !skAthlete & !skXeno". ^_^ It works pretty well.
Duggan is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old January 6th, 2018, 09:11 PM
Quote:
Ah, well, in this system, everyone has every skill at the start, just at 0 ranks. There's no such thing as a "Trained skill". The system for Advances is that, at the end of a successful job, every player chooses to either gain a new Skill Specialty, or to advance three different skills (two of which are supposed to be skills that they used) by one point each. Anyhow, because every skill chosen is a Pick on the Advance, I just modified the code so that it excluded any skill that already existed. So, when in the dialog, if you set two of the skill choices to Athletics and Xenobiology, the selection logic for the third one is "Skill.? & !skAthlete & !skXeno". ^_^ It works pretty well.
But you shouldn't have to do it that way ... I don't think. Unless we're talking past each other, which is quite possible. Regardez vous:

Code:
  <thing
    id="skCQC"
    name="Close Quarters Combat"
    compset="Skill"
    isunique="yes"
    description="\n\n{b}Source:{/b} Core Rulebook">
    <fieldval field="trtAbbrev" value="CQC"/>

<!-- If this skill should be shown as an out-of-combat skill on the TacCon, assign this tag
    <tag group="DashTacCon" tag="NonCombat"/>
    -->

<!-- Specify the attribute to which this skill is linked -->
    <link linkage="attribute" thing="trSta"/>
    </thing>
You see that line that says isunique="yes"? That means that the skill can only be picked one time. It can't be chosen multiple times. That should be all you need to prevent skill duplication.
EightBitz is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Duggan

Old January 7th, 2018, 07:33 AM
Huh. I wasn't thinking of it that way. That said, it doesn't work for me because the skills were all marked as unique and, until I made the change to the selection logic, it was possible to select the same skill for multiple Choice boxes, adding multiple copies of the pick to the advance, and causing errors when you tried to remove one of them.
Duggan is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old January 7th, 2018, 03:48 PM
Quote:
Huh. I wasn't thinking of it that way. That said, it doesn't work for me because the skills were all marked as unique and, until I made the change to the selection logic, it was possible to select the same skill for multiple Choice boxes, adding multiple copies of the pick to the advance, and causing errors when you tried to remove one of them.
Well, foo. I thought I had a working example of this, but I can't find it. So maybe I was just imagining things.
EightBitz is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Duggan

Old January 7th, 2018, 05:42 PM
Ah, were you the other person working on something like this? I found a reference on the boards, with Mathias advising just making it a Validation thing, but I couldn't remember who it was, or which system.
Duggan is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old January 7th, 2018, 06:45 PM
Quote:
Ah, were you the other person working on something like this? I found a reference on the boards, with Mathias advising just making it a Validation thing, but I couldn't remember who it was, or which system.
I have asked a question in the past where I've received that type of answer. I wasn't too keen on it at the time, but I realized it was the right answer. In general, it's less work, and it allows for instances where a GM might grant an exception to a rule, regardless of validation errors.
EightBitz is offline   #17 Reply With Quote