Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Authoring Kit

Notices

AndrewD2

Old November 2nd, 2014, 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
Please clarify this, I'm not sure how you've got an advancement that's inside a gizmo.
Ok, on a Trait which is directly on the hero I can use

Code:
if (isuser + origin.ishero >= 2) then
So that when I add an advancement for a Trait it doesn't use Character Points. Areas of Expertise are not on the hero they are on the Skill gizmo. What I'm trying do is have the same kind of check for the Areas of Expertise so they don't use Skill Points when you add them through an Advance.

If I use the same check it doesn't use points during character creation or during Advancement.
AndrewD2 is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
AndrewD2

Old November 2nd, 2014, 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
style="menu" must always be combined with type="user", not type="derived" or type="static", because the user has to be able to control the menu's selection.
I feel dumb, I thought I tried user. Thanks
AndrewD2 is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 2nd, 2014, 10:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewD2 View Post
Ok, on a Trait which is directly on the hero I can use

Code:
if (isuser + origin.ishero >= 2) then
So that when I add an advancement for a Trait it doesn't use Character Points. Areas of Expertise are not on the hero they are on the Skill gizmo. What I'm trying do is have the same kind of check for the Areas of Expertise so they don't use Skill Points when you add them through an Advance.

If I use the same check it doesn't use points during character creation or during Advancement.
Think of the original test as two doneif statements (or keep them as if statements, but think of one nested inside the other):
Code:
doneif (isuser = 0)
doneif (origin.ishero = 0)
Now, can you modify that so that if it's in a gizmo, the test that's giving you a problem won't be checked?
Mathias is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
AndrewD2

Old November 2nd, 2014, 10:41 AM
I've tried checking if it was on a gizmo with parent.isgizmo, but that's going to be true no matter how it's added, I've tried origin.ishero <> 0, I can't figure out how to get it to add while on one gizmo, but not add from the other.
AndrewD2 is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 3rd, 2014, 06:12 AM
container.ishero?

Isn't your question whether the item itself is in a gizmo (in which case you want it to apply its cost differently) or on the hero (in which case its cost is paid with the standard XP mechanism for your game?
Mathias is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
AndrewD2

Old November 3rd, 2014, 09:18 AM
if I do:

doneif (container.ishero = 0) it doesn't add add to the points spent

if I do:

doneif (container.ishero <> 0) it adds both when it's added in character creation and in Advanement mode
AndrewD2 is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
AndrewD2

Old November 3rd, 2014, 10:17 AM
I was just looking at advancement and I may be doing it wrong, since when I add an area of exertise it doesn't update on the skill tab, so I might have to go to the drawnig board
AndrewD2 is offline   #27 Reply With Quote
AndrewD2

Old November 5th, 2014, 05:28 PM
I think I got it figured out, I did the check of if the parent is a skill and isuser and it only adds for skills during creation and does not add points when its added through an advance.
AndrewD2 is offline   #28 Reply With Quote
AndrewD2

Old November 5th, 2014, 07:29 PM
Ok, now that I've got the cost part taken care of I'm back to setting up the Advancement for Areas of Expertise. I've created a template with a menu_things element, I have picks set to be on hero and just for starters I've set it to component.Skill for the candidate element, but no matter what I get a "Nothing to Select" message. All the skills are bootstrapped to the hero so they should all come up as far as I can tell.
AndrewD2 is offline   #29 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 6th, 2014, 06:32 AM
If your areas of expertise are items added within the gizmos of the skills, there is no way to use an advancement to add an item to the inside of a gizmo from outside that gizmo.

In Shadowrun, skill specialties added as advancements place their name into a field on the skill with a script, and then that field is displayed under the table of specialties the user added.
Mathias is offline   #30 Reply With Quote