Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Mystic Lemur

Old February 2nd, 2015, 08:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
Well, LWD sold me a piece of software with a critical functionality, that is expected to be part of every modern piece of software, missing (namely "export") without even mentioning that it wasn't there. So I'm a bit hesitant in trusting them, as I've been burnt once already.
Have you asked for a refund? You're not happy with the product, and you've stated no less than three times already that you aren't going to use it anymore. Ask for a refund, and shoo. Your continued negativity contributes nothing to this thread.

And if LWD won't give you a refund, I will. Send me your contact information, and I will send you the cost of the product through paypal. I will gladly pay money to be rid of your constant, unreasonable complaining.

As for me, I'm not happy that Calendars will be further delayed, but I'm content that they are still being worked on. They'll be ready when they're ready and not before.
Mystic Lemur is offline   #51 Reply With Quote
Nemesis

Old February 2nd, 2015, 09:04 PM
Interesting proposition, not that I would accept your offer, but for what it says about you.

As a paying customer I have every right to voice my complaints and I will continue to do so (I think there's this little thing called freedom of speech). If you don't like my posts, just ignore them.
Nemesis is offline   #52 Reply With Quote
Indus101

Old February 2nd, 2015, 09:10 PM
....and that was the last time the word "survey" was ever mentioned at headquarters....
Indus101 is offline   #53 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old February 3rd, 2015, 12:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
(I think there's this little thing called freedom of speech).
Technical Point*: At least in the US, freedom of speech is a restriction on the government. This bulletin board is run by a private entity, not the government, and that private entity can prevent us from speaking here if they wish. Similarly, we can voice our opinions on our own websites and LWD can't block us from doing so.

I would also point out that this forum has an Ignore feature if anyone is so inclined. I've used it on other forums before. (Extremely rarely, though.)

ObTopic: A pattern that's been pretty plain throughout discussions of exporting is that the people like myself who wanted it the most are using Realm Works as they would other writing aids. That's also why I don't care whether or not you are allowed to export purchased items; I only want to be able to export things I've created. (Though you should be able to specify what people are allowed to do with stuff you want to share, much like in Acrobat, but I digress.)

Honestly, I don't see the point of getting worked up about exporting or calendars or any other pet feature that isn't being given first priority. LWD's decisions for the near future have been made. If their vision is different enough from what you need that you won't find it useful for now, then shelve it. Come back in a year and see what's up.

I've bought plenty of programs in the past that I never used to their potential, found weren't suited for what I wanted to do, or were too buggy to use properly. About all you can do is find something that works for you.

* The best kind of point!

Parody is offline   #54 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 3rd, 2015, 01:37 AM
And now I'll respond to a wide range of comments made by various posters up-thread. This will entail multiple posts in order to keep them manageable in size, but I also want to avoid have a dozen separate replies from me. So each post of mine will often respond to multiple posts by others. Here goes, in chronological order...
rob is offline   #55 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 3rd, 2015, 01:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Lord Galen View Post
"selective transparency" is not transparent at all, and as to ANOTHER survey in the future, it is a poor business model to steer by. Especially with LWD talking from both sides of their mouth. "The survey will not dictate what gets worked on" (translation, unless it provides us an excuse)
The intent behind our statement was very simple. We are not going to feel compelled to work on a particular feature first just because it came in a few hundreds of a point ahead of another feature. For example, we focused on the top-3 major features on the list, all of which were closely grouped in their rankings. We then assessed how much work was involved in those features, how much complexity was involved, which team members would need to do the work, and a host of other factors. The other two features required significant work by the same developers that will be up to their eyeballs on the content market and web-based access. Journals could be done largely by a team member that wasn't critical to those tasks. So Journals made the most sense to tackle first. The decision was in no way an excuse - just a question of resources.

If you assume that we would completely ignore the results of the survey, then you're also assuming we have no desire to make the largest number of users happy. That's just ridiculous, since that would also mean you think we would intentionally undermine the product that we've worked on for years. We're not in this industry to get rich - we could all make lots more money working for other companies, and we’d definitely have to work much fewer hours each week. We do this because we love gaming and want to create something for the hobby. To think that we would intentionally sabotage our own efforts is, frankly, insulting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Lord Galen View Post
SMH instead of making good on a feature you claimed was ALREADY there when you sold it. ITs not like the end user is asking for something extra here... and not speaking for anyone but myself, I simply expect features that I already PAID for. That in any world is not unreasonable.
According to our records, it appears you purchased Realm Works after it was commercially released and were not a Kickstarter backer. At the point you purchased Realm Works, custom calendars were not advertised as an existing part of the product and were clearly identified as both planned and still needing to be finished. That was the case dating back at least six months prior to V1.0 release, since it was already the case when we did the Early Access release the previous summer. So I’m having trouble reconciling your assertion above, since you are “not speaking for anyone but myself”. How did you purchase Realm Works where custom calendars were advertised as being already in the product?

With regards to the other hot-button features – printing and export – neither has been portrayed as an existing part of the product to my knowledge. Both were requested during the Kickstarter and added to the todo list back then. At that time, and ever since, export was acknowledged as something that we would look to address after V1.0 came out and printing was something we’d try to get into V1.0 in a rudimentary manner (which ultimately didn’t work as we’d hoped and was scrapped). They were given an equal place on the todo list with everything else, and we included them in the survey due to the interest expressed in them by various users on our forums. We reported how they fared in the survey results. However, I don’t believe those features can be claimed to have been advertised as an existing part of the product in any way.
rob is offline   #56 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 3rd, 2015, 01:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indus101 View Post
Only question, from a technical perspective, is that aren't "Journals" really an offshoot of a robust Calendar system? Since the next big feature will hinge on the current dating system, I just hope you don't run into programming issues when you do get around to handling Calendars, as it seems they be getting built in the reverse order: aka, journals derive from a robust calendar system, not the other way around.
As @Chemlak concluded, journals and calendars are completely separate, and journals simply reference calendar dates. So journals will initially only support Gregorian dates, just like date-based snippets within topics. Once we get custom calendars fully into place, both date-based snippets and dates on journal entries will automatically support those calendars. We can test and verify all that internally with the incomplete calendar mechanism that already exists. And members of the Beta team who have access to the old journal mechanism can attest that calendar dates already work fine with those journals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlockHead View Post
The way I look at this is RW needs to focus on what will best help it grow its user base and increase profit so it can grow and afford to continue developing the product. That is why the marketplace and the more collaborative features have be given preference, even though I could care little about them. They just are not going to do as well focusing on GMs like me who are using the tool as a way to organize and build their world, but not to share with players. They need to sell player licences. They also need to bring in busy GMs that prefer to work with pre-created content. The marketplace is critical for this.
This is exactly the situation we’re in. Thank you for summarizing it so well.

Quote:
As for calendars versus journal—I don't know—I would think lack of custom calendars would be a bigger turn off for potential buyers than lack of journaling. But this may just be a blind spot I have, as lack of journal features is not something I've missed in months of heavy use for how I use the tool.
The key thing with journals is that journals are a critical piece for engaging the players more fully. Based on the huge demand for journals within the survey, it appears that allowing players to keep their own journals is a big attraction for GMs. They can be leveraged by GMs as well, but I believe the biggest draw will be with players. The notion of calendars and dates is important to many GMs, but it’s rarely of concern to players – the GM typically tracks that stuff so that players can remain blissfully ignorant of it. Journals are just the opposite, which I’m assuming is why they ranked so highly in the survey results.

Quote:
I think it might be enlightening to the developers what answers they would get if a large random sample of DMs, who were not current customers, if they would buy a campaign management tool that did not allow them to export or print their work. As a current user, when i go through this thought experiment, I find myself saying no.
There’s no good way to obtain information from a random sampling of GMs who aren’t current customers. So the next best indicator is assessing the weight our current users put on all the features that aren’t yet available, including export and printing. As we mentioned in the news update, the desire for printing is split, and there is little demand for export. Is this an absolute indicator of prospective users? No. However, it’s unlikely that the overall views of GMs out there would deviate significantly from the survey results. That’s why we’re looking into how we might be able to provide an alternative, more lightweight solution for printing – if the actual numbers skew upwards a bit, it ends up in the top third of the survey and becomes a feature of concern to a significant portion of the user base. Unfortunately, with export near the bottom of the list, it seems that there are some who consider it a deal-breaker, but the overall user base feels it’s of negligible importance compared to all the other things we could add to the product.
rob is offline   #57 Reply With Quote
Chemlak

Old February 3rd, 2015, 01:44 AM
Random post inserted between Rob's!

Chief Calendar Champion Chemlak

Join the unofficial Realm Works IRC channel! Join #realm-works
Chemlak is offline   #58 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 3rd, 2015, 01:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmortis View Post
Excellent post, and something I will touch on. GMs and custom worlds, we are at least in a realm of 100 to 1 in favor of pre-purchased content GMs. To this day, I have played D&D/Pathfinder from grade 6 (so what 12?) to now at 45, that's 33yrs give or take, and in that time I have met/played with exactly two GMs that made their own custom world and content, and one is me.

With exception to my current group and the other person I know who does this incedently in my current group), every single group I joined starred in wonder when I pulled out my own game world and adventures as a GM. None, exactly none had ever seen that before.
And…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargr View Post
My experience is, that the split between commercial worlds and home-grown worlds is 50-50 - possibly 60-40.

My impression is also, that in the US commercial worlds are widely used, where as - at least in Scanadinavia - it is more 50-50.
The vast majority of GMs want pre-created content. Only a small percentage actually create their own entire worlds, and that’s why all the published settings are such a huge seller for companies like Wizards and Paizo. Outside the US, the numbers skew lower out of necessity due to the decreased availability of fully realized settings in foreign languages. Here in the US, the ratio is at least 10:1. A large percentage of GMs take pre-created content and tailor it a little bit – some heavily, but most are just a little bit. That’s a very annoying process with printed material – or even PDFs – since all those customizations must be kept separate. The vision with Realm Works allows users to obtain pre-created content and easily tailor it to suit their desires. In addition, that content is in a format that is ready for delivery to players with significantly less preparation work than with current print/PDF solutions.

Consumers are becoming less and less willing to invest the time to prepare games. There has been a huge shortage of GMs across the hobby, and the solution from many new publishers has been to simplify and streamline things. Other publishers have chosen to create game systems that encourage player participation to reduce the load on the GM. Numerous other creative outlets are increasingly available to consumers as direct competition to tabletop RPGs, which further erodes the hobby. There is still a huge interest in the hobby, but RPGs need to become more efficient and engaging to compete. That means the job of the GM continues to get harder. Based on these trends, the focus needs to be on further simplifying the lives of GMs and enhancing engagement of the players. It also means integrating technology into the process to achieve that goal.

That’s our vision with Realm Works and what we’re working towards. Our progress isn’t as fast as it could be because we’re taking the long-range view and laying a solid foundation beneath everything we’re doing. That makes everything harder under the covers, but it also means that we’ll be able to accomplish a lot more down the line. We just have to get there.
rob is offline   #59 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 3rd, 2015, 01:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemlak View Post
Random post inserted between Rob's!

rob is offline   #60 Reply With Quote