Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old April 20th, 2011, 08:36 AM
Either tablet is still a ways off I suspect. As HL is first being ported over to Apple desktop. This also means from the rumors I hear that Paizo will start using HL officially in-house as they all use Macs.

Then from what I got with other posts here at HL is that the iPad would be the easiest place to go next as they already will have a apple working program.

That could of course change as it is many many months away I think for any tablet/smartphone app to come out. And as its all java based it maybe possible to support simultaneous development but I really doubt that...

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #31 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 20th, 2011, 10:49 AM
We have NOT begun active development of a tablet-based version of Hero Lab yet. However, we DO expect to begin within the next few months, after we've wrapped up a few important things. We are closely watching the tablet-based market and have taken various steps to position ourselves for reasonably efficient development once we do get started.

@duhtroll - Since we haven't selected a platform yet, I can't tell you what platform we're developing for. We'll be choosing the platform in a few months, when we get started on development.

@shadowchemosh - The iPad will be easier in some ways once we complete the Mac port. However, the iPad also has some major roadblocks, such as Apple's huge royalty that could easily render an iPad version non-viable from a business standpoint. Remember, at the end of the day, everyone here expects to be paid so they can make their rent/mortgage. Also, Hero Lab is written entirely in C++ (not Java), and the Android now has the C++ devkit available. So we could just as easily go with Android at this point.

Once we actually pick a platform and development gets underway, we'll make an announcement to let everyone know what to expect. Also, we're currently planning to get started on the second platform well before the first one ships, provided there is a viable business case for both platforms. Consequently, we don't view this as an "either-or" situation - although it could become one if we don't expect to generate enough revenue from one of the platforms for it to be viable.
rob is offline   #32 Reply With Quote
bodrin

Old April 20th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Straw poll time then! To determine actual figures on the forum for a general view.

How many Hero Lab users use a tablet now for other things and what OS is predominate?

I have an iPad and iPhone. iOS!
bodrin is offline   #33 Reply With Quote
duhtroll

Old April 20th, 2011, 04:36 PM
Wow - TBH I didn't expect a reply from the dev team, especially so fast. Kudos on communication.

As for the "straw poll" I use a laptop because it is currently the only way to run HL at the table, so that is largely moot. There may be more iPads than Android tablets (which would make sense since they have been out longer), but there are exponentially more laptops out there than iPads.

If the question is about what people will have in the future, the numbers could be very different from what people have right now, given that people change/update devices every 1.5-2 years.
duhtroll is offline   #34 Reply With Quote
bodrin

Old April 21st, 2011, 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by duhtroll View Post
As for the "straw poll" I use a laptop because it is currently the only way to run HL at the table, so that is largely moot. There may be more iPads than Android tablets (which would make sense since they have been out longer), but there are exponentially more laptops out there than iPads.

If the question is about what people will have in the future, the numbers could be very different from what people have right now, given that people change/update devices every 1.5-2 years.
You miss the point.
Using a desktop or laptop for hero lab is the only option ATM, but as of now not the future, how many users on this forum have a tablet and what OS does it use?

Im not going to upgrade my devices anytime soon so I'm curious to see what the majority of people use ATM.
bodrin is offline   #35 Reply With Quote
dragonladytoo

Old April 22nd, 2011, 05:32 PM
I have a Nookcolor running Android 2.3 (Cynogenmod) and a HTC Evo (Android 2.2). In my area (Southern California) I have been seeing Android overtaking the Apple iPhone consistently and agressively.

Given my own investment and experience, my vote (for whatever it is worth) is to encourage the Wolflair people throw their lot in with the OS that is outselling the Apple IOS.

I have been using several apps lately for Pathfinder, and I gotta say "I Like it".

The ease of use with PDFs with my tablet continues my love affair with my Nookcolor and the Android OS.

Last as a user has been my experience with the cost differential of my Android tablet versus the cost of the Apple tablet. At $250 per tablet, I would be able to purchase two (or three) tablets for the cost of an Apple tablet, and I have been successfully using my tablet during games for resource and ruling lookups.

This means that I would be able to purchase more Wolflair software to install on my tablet (and its accompanying upgrades).
dragonladytoo is offline   #36 Reply With Quote
duhtroll

Old April 26th, 2011, 06:27 AM
No, my point is pretty clear. The laptop example was given because it doesn't matter what people have ATM.

What matters is what people will have when HL becomes available in for tablets in several months to a year or more.

Therefore, starting a poll about current equipment for something to be released in the future, when people will have different equipment, is not really indicative of anything substantial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodrin View Post
You miss the point.
Using a desktop or laptop for hero lab is the only option ATM, but as of now not the future, how many users on this forum have a tablet and what OS does it use?

Im not going to upgrade my devices anytime soon so I'm curious to see what the majority of people use ATM.
duhtroll is offline   #37 Reply With Quote
bodrin

Old April 26th, 2011, 07:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by duhtroll View Post
Therefore, starting a poll about current equipment for something to be released in the future, when people will have different equipment, is not really indicative of anything substantial.
Except having a current demographic of users!

I agree that the future equipment is a grey area but a poll now would generally indicate user preference ATM heck even a "I have a XXXX tablet but plan on getting a XXX tablet to replace it." statement would be a good indicator for future development.
bodrin is offline   #38 Reply With Quote
ase1972

Old April 26th, 2011, 01:01 PM
I have several andriod tablets running everything from 2.2 to 3.0, but two of the other gamers in my group have iPads, so there is no clear winner.

However, I will agree with dragonlady, that the cost alone makes an Andriod tablet much more appealing since I can buy four Andriod tablets for the price of one iPad.
ase1972 is offline   #39 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old April 26th, 2011, 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ase1972 View Post
However, I will agree with dragonlady, that the cost alone makes an Andriod tablet much more appealing since I can buy four Andriod tablets for the price of one iPad.
Can you please link to these Andriod tablets that cost a little over a hundred bucks each? As your saying that you can buy 4 of them for the same price of an iPad which is $500 bucks.

Plus dragonlady is also talking about a Droid Phone (HTC Evo) which their is no way you could run something like HL on with a little 4 inch screen.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #40 Reply With Quote