Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

gpbrent

Old April 14th, 2018, 06:56 PM
Opening HL on Mac now gives a one-time warning linking to this announcement indicating that future versions of MacOS will not be compatible with 32-bit applications:

https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT208436

Are there plans to update Hero Lab for 64-bit?
gpbrent is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old April 15th, 2018, 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpbrent View Post
Opening HL on Mac now gives a one-time warning linking to this announcement indicating that future versions of MacOS will not be compatible with 32-bit applications:

Hopefully they have ported all the game systems to HLO before this cutoff date happens.
Toblakai is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
BoomerET

Send a message via ICQ to BoomerET Send a message via Yahoo to BoomerET Send a message via Skype™ to BoomerET

Old April 15th, 2018, 11:42 AM
Oh boy, now you've opened a kettle of fish, thanks @Toblakai. <grin>

Dave

Castles & Crusades Ruleset for Hero Lab
Hero Lab (5E D&D) -> Fantasy Grounds Character Converter
BoomerET is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old April 15th, 2018, 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerET View Post
Oh boy, now you've opened a kettle of fish, thanks @Toblakai. <grin>

Dave
I guess they could run the 32bit Windows version in a VM on a Mac.
Toblakai is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
qcgreywolf

Old April 16th, 2018, 09:13 AM
As a long time user whom has sunk hundreds and hundreds of dollars into the product, I would feel pretty betrayed if they didn't update their product. I've even managed to get a dozen or so friends and family members hooked on the product. Then again, myself (the GM) and the wife are the only ones using a Mac...

We still need some 'offline' products in this world. I know all the pro's and con's of taking everything online from both the consumer and the businesses perspective, but I despise the change in general across he board.

If the power goes out and people want to get together to play a Pen and Paper game because - no power? Sorry, can't all our character sheets are online.

If we want to continue playing a sweet campaign while camping, or in a rented cabin up in the woods away from cell service? Can't.

If there were a handful of cases where going online only DIDN'T make sense, it would be a Pen and Paper RPG.

And don't even get me started on the demonic "Everything on the planet needs to be individual subscriptions" horse-apples approach. *shakes a single finger at Adobe*

Last edited by qcgreywolf; April 16th, 2018 at 09:24 AM.
qcgreywolf is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old April 16th, 2018, 10:21 AM
They'll continue to invest in product development if it makes them money. From everything RWD has posted about this, they fully intend to support HLC indefinitely. That said, I suspect that the focus is going to be on HLO with HLC support being primarily bug fixes and minor changes. I have no idea if releasing a 64-bit version of HLC is a major development effort or now. If it is, I suspect that doing so is a low priority.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
gpbrent

Old April 16th, 2018, 04:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcgreywolf View Post
We still need some 'offline' products in this world. I know all the pro's and con's of taking everything online from both the consumer and the businesses perspective, but I despise the change in general across he board.

If the power goes out and people want to get together to play a Pen and Paper game because - no power? Sorry, can't all our character sheets are online.

If we want to continue playing a sweet campaign while camping, or in a rented cabin up in the woods away from cell service? Can't.
I hear you. If we're doing a ten-hour road trip, it's nice being able to use HL for adventure planning, and one of my favourite gaming memories comes from a camping trip.
gpbrent is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old April 16th, 2018, 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlockHead View Post
They'll continue to invest in product development if it makes them money. From everything RWD has posted about this, they fully intend to support HLC indefinitely. That said, I suspect that the focus is going to be on HLO with HLC support being primarily bug fixes and minor changes. I have no idea if releasing a 64-bit version of HLC is a major development effort or now. If it is, I suspect that doing so is a low priority.
I have done a couple of 32bit to 64bit ports. I haven't done a Mac port before, just Linux and Windows. The biggest issue is the libraries. RW hasn't moved to 64bit even though it really needs it because they can't get 64bit version of one of the GUI libraries they use.

The most problematic part is finding code that expects 32bit ints and now has 64bits and still works except in some edge cases.
Toblakai is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
LazarX

Old April 22nd, 2018, 08:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpbrent View Post

I suspect that the update will come in this form..

"We are no longer supporting Herolab for the Macintosh. We encourage you to migrate to Herolab Online for your future needs." There really isn't much incentive to develop for the Mac any more... especially for a Program where forward development is coming to an end. Herolab hasn't even migrated to 64 bit for Windows yet, and is not likely to do so.
LazarX is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
LazarX

Old April 22nd, 2018, 08:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlockHead View Post
They'll keep support running for Windows, but Windows has no sign that they're going kill 32 bit operations. But gaming on the Mac, Apple has pretty much succeeded in discouraging people to take that as consideration any more. Even Blizzard has stopped porting any games outside of Diablo, Hearthstone, and World of Warcraft.

Qualifier: I assume that They did succesfully port the Ipad software to 64bit, otherwise those of you with new Ipads would not be running itnow.

Last edited by LazarX; April 22nd, 2018 at 08:23 AM.
LazarX is offline   #10 Reply With Quote