Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Dark Lord Galen

Old July 23rd, 2015, 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adzling View Post
We use a Samsung PCW-ME46C-R as a second monitor to display battlemaps and player handouts on.
This is all done via Realmworks Player display feature.

I picked it up from Newegg as a refurb a couple of months ago.
first Nice Post Adzling....
As to the TV choice, certainly proves planning and shopping round pays off!
Newegg is a great source. Some other things to concider is timing. Many places put TVs on sale before major Sporting events (ie Thanksgiving, Superbowl, etc) and of course Christmas. So any that plan to ttake the leap of a TV in their gaming group time it with that.. you could save $100s.

Quote:
Heat is almost non-existent........For these purposes thinness is more important than a great picture (I previously tried an el cheapo @$200 40" LCD but it was so thick (about 4") that you had to stand up at the table to see the map properly.
Two very good points. When considering (more so if laying the TV down which is not its natural state) a TV determine where the venting is. If only on the back and you have plans to lay down you risk overheating.
View angle is also very important. the closer to 180 degrees the better. remember you will have people viewing from all sorts of odd angles you would not normally watch TV from.

Quote:
With the thinner TV you can sit down and see the image fine.
For some reason the offset from the protective plastic and the LCD is also very minimal on this screen so there is absolutely no parallax offset, a common problem with older (and newer) TVs used in this manner.
Some TVs also come with glass instead of plastic screen protections. I would however recommend covering as Parody mentions to preserve surface. With the advent of Metal dice (popular at my table) I even utilize dice rolling trays to provide additional protections. IF you cover with tempered glass it is more resilient, but heavy, Lexan is a good shatter-resistant material but pricey$$$ (hence I salvaged an old sliding door glass)
@Adzing from your picture, it doesn't appear you have a cover to protect your screen, you might consider it? JMO

Lastly also consider the bezel sizing to maximize view. That is why I went with JVCs Black diamond series, it has the smallest bezel I could find for the price. JVC Link

Also if connecting to a TV, consider HOW you are going to accomplish it. Some TVs have VGA connections for older PCs, most have HDMI, some auto detect new sources, others have to have the input switched.

DLG

D&D> Pre 1e White Box Edition, 1e, 2e, 3.5 Currently, Set in the World of Greyhawk (The first, longest running and Best Campaign Setting)
Software>Extensive use of all forms of MS Products, Visual Studio 2012, DAZ 3d, AutoCAD, Adobe Products.
Gaming Specific>Campaign Cartographer, D20 Pro Alpha & BattleGrounds Beta Tester, World Builder, Dungeon Crafter, LWD Hero Lab, Realm Works, Inkwell Ideas Citybuilder & Dungeon Builder, Auto-Realm, Dundjinni
Contributing Writer for TSR, WOC, & Canonfire
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
adzling

Old July 24th, 2015, 02:59 PM
Yes, it's quite tough.
It's a TV designed for digital signage so it's very thin, gives of little heat and has a toughened plastic screen cover integrated into it.
It's like a bazillion times better than any TV you'll pick up at Best Buy.
It also cost more (@$600 IIRC) but not that much as it was on clearance.

I doubt you can get these type of ultra-thin tvs anymore, all tvs are now built with a continuous LED backlight behind the LCD, this one is an older one with side-firing LEDS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobifle View Post
You mean you're actually playing *on* the TV screen ??
EEK DLG that setup is AMAZING. It's what I would build if I had a permanent room I could dedicate to gaming.
Alas we play at different places so my setup had to be portable.
When do I get invited to come play at your ranch??? ;-)

Last edited by adzling; July 24th, 2015 at 03:07 PM.
adzling is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
Lexin

Send a message via Skype™ to Lexin

Old July 26th, 2015, 04:17 AM
I have finally managed to get RW to work with one screen on my laptop, and the other on an iPad. Be happy for me, this has only taken about three weeks to set up.

It's a wired solution, but I don't mind that in the circumstances. One day there'll be a wireless solution.

I had to use an iPad app called "Duet", which is fairly expensive for iPad apps at £12. And as I said, it's wired, not wireless.

However, RW looks really good on the screen and will really help in a few weeks when I need to run my Roman game in a bar where a TV couldn't be set up for me and my players. Fingers crossed it all goes well!

--
Lexin

GM from Gwynedd, Wales - seriously old school - playing RPGs since 1980!

Tools: Realm Works, HeroLab, Campaign Cartographer 3+
Lexin is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
Bobifle

Old July 26th, 2015, 05:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexin View Post
One day there'll be a wireless solution.
Wireless display is not very common, display uses a lot of bandwith and add latency. Regarding current technologies I would not expect a wireless solution that soon.

Not to mention that RW would probably need to implement the remote protocol itself, which is unlikely considering the complexity of such protocols.
Bobifle is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
Lexin

Old July 26th, 2015, 05:12 AM
Quote:
Not to mention that RW would probably need to implement the remote protocol itself, which is unlikely considering the complexity of such protocols.
Oh, I don't expect it soon, after my experiences with iPad apps which purported to this but didn't, I'm very aware that it's far, far harder than a non-technical person can possibly understand.

I'm pleased with the wired version, there's no lag, pictures really do look good and writing is easy to read. Showing players what they're facing and what information they've learned should be a snap, even if they all have to share one iPad.

I can now wait for the online version fairly quietly.

--
Lexin

Lexin is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old July 28th, 2015, 09:02 AM
Quote:
I have finally managed to get RW to work with one screen on my laptop, and the other on an iPad. Be happy for me, this has only taken about three weeks to set up.
Happy Dance Time!!

Quote:
......I need to run my Roman game in a bar where a TV couldn't be set up for me and my players. Fingers crossed it all goes well!
IN A BAR!!!! Oh I am so coming to the UK.... where you can game in a bar and not get WTF looks lol That's like gamer heaven hehe

D&D> Pre 1e White Box Edition, 1e, 2e, 3.5 Currently, Set in the World of Greyhawk (The first, longest running and Best Campaign Setting)
Software>Extensive use of all forms of MS Products, Visual Studio 2012, DAZ 3d, AutoCAD, Adobe Products.
Gaming Specific>Campaign Cartographer, D20 Pro Alpha & BattleGrounds Beta Tester, World Builder, Dungeon Crafter, LWD Hero Lab, Realm Works, Inkwell Ideas Citybuilder & Dungeon Builder, Auto-Realm, Dundjinni
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
Lexin

Old July 28th, 2015, 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Lord Galen View Post
IN A BAR!!!! Oh I am so coming to the UK.... where you can game in a bar and not get WTF looks lol That's like gamer heaven hehe
It really is, at least most of the time.

The story is that way back in the dim and distant past when dinosaurs roamed the earth, I attended university in North Wales. My friends and I started a wargames and roleplaying games club (that still exists) and we decided that even after we'd all graduated we'd get together once a year to play.

As time passed, new graduates who'd been in the club, and some people we'd met at various competitions who were members of clubs from other universities and towns, joined us and the get-together now ranges from around 40 people to over 60 depending on what other things people have on and how busy their work situation is.

The place the university give us (for nothing, as long as we're nice to the staff and don't leave a mess) is what is normally the university's bar for the students who are based around a particular part of the campus. There are few students around when we're there, it's during the long vacation, so no-one much is there to stare and ask stupid questions.

When we first used to use it for our events way back in the 1980s (our first event was either in 1985 or 1986, none of us are sure which) it was so badly laid out and had such poor acoustics that you could hear someone at a table on the far side talking just as well, and sometimes better than, you could hear the DM on your own table.

They've done it up since then, and it is rather better now acoustically and certainly looks prettier.

On the down side, they used to let us use one of those massive hot water heater/kettle things to make our own tea and coffee (we had to provide the tea, coffee and milk) but now they insist we buy theirs at £1 a cup for tea. That's not a bad price (any cafe in London will charge £1.50 at least but that's not the point).

Similarly, they used to let us order out for hot food, and have it delivered to the bar, or go and fetch hot food, but now they insist we buy their food - which is just as cheap as a takeaway but we don't get the same range of choices.

I suppose, though, they've got to pay the staff somehow and they do provide Real Ale for the people who like it.

On the third hand they charge us more for (self-catering - i.e. bring your own food and cook it yourself) accommodation in the university halls of residence (I think you'd call them dorms?) - but the new halls have en-suite bathrooms, even if the beds are still titchy, and are cockroach-free. Neither of those things was true of the old halls. I do not miss those roaches.

On the fourth hand, the university has free wi-fi, everywhere.

So I suppose there are swings and roundabouts.

--
Lexin

Lexin is offline   #27 Reply With Quote
Bobifle

Old July 28th, 2015, 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Lord Galen View Post
Happy Dance Time!!
where you can game in a bar and not get WTF looks lol
Let's face it, we often deserves the looks
Bobifle is offline   #28 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old July 28th, 2015, 07:43 PM
Now I'm thinking how fun it would be to take over a sports bar with a main table playing a game that is displayed on all of the screens in the bar. The other in the bar partake by shouting advice or reactions, Acquisitions Incorporated style.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #29 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old July 28th, 2015, 08:13 PM
Quote:
Let's face it, we often deserves the looks
True True... I often remind my players, all people have those "little voices" in their head, we gamers just name ours!

Most the time on here I'm in my analytical Fredlou Quicksilver the Sage mode.... but there are times when (calendar plug) my patience wears down and the crotchety ole dwarf, Rockhard Stonefist comes out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlockHead View Post
Now I'm thinking how fun it would be to take over a sports bar with a main table playing a game that is displayed on all of the screens in the bar. The other in the bar partake by shouting advice or reactions, Acquisitions Incorporated style.
MNB... thanks for that mental picture.... that would be Grand! instead of various sporting events on those screens, a multitude of Game Heaven..... heheh But alas... the closest thing that happens to be that geek around here is "fantasy football draft day"

Dark Lord Galen is offline   #30 Reply With Quote