Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD

Notices

OldDNDer

Old September 10th, 2018, 10:55 AM
I would like to add a restriction to a new class which requires the player to be Human or part Human (Half-Elf for example). I recall there was a selection which allowed me to set a "Counts as" race. I cannot find that selection any longer. So, my two questions are:

1. If the Counts as race selection is gone how do we set it now?

2. How can I tell my new class to check that the race is indeed Human?
OldDNDer is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
OldDNDer

Old September 10th, 2018, 01:01 PM
Also, I'm very confused as to why Hero Lab is showing the wrong number of spells for a 5th ED. Wizard. I'm using the core (5th ED. SRD) and am testing a level 3 Wizard. The 5th ED. PHB says that a level 3 Wizard with 13 INT should have 3 Cantrips, 4 First level spells, and 3 Second level spells. Yet, Hero Lab is only allowing me to pick 3 Cantrips and 3 spells. What am I missing here?

Edit: No, my mistake. I work a graveyard shift these past few weeks to cover for a coworker that had surgery. He's recovering nicely. Anyway, when I get home from work I'm sleepy. I'm not sure what was going through my mind when I typed the above.

Last edited by OldDNDer; September 10th, 2018 at 02:13 PM.
OldDNDer is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old September 10th, 2018, 06:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDNDer View Post
1. If the Counts as race selection is gone how do we set it now?
The Counts as Races button still exists on the subraces tab at least, not that I've ever used them. If you couldn't touch the race, I think you could extend the tag Race.XXX where XXX is the ID of the race (rHuman, etc...) based on the behavior of that button, but....

Quote:
2. How can I tell my new class to check that the race is indeed Human?
If you have the community pack installed, look at the SCAG (Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide) definition of bladesinger. There is a expr-req of:

#hasrace[rElf] + #hasrace[rHalfElf] <> 0

Which means it requires that a bladesinger can either be an elf or half-elf only.

In XGtE there's the Prodigy feat that requires you to be part human:

#hasrace[rHuman] + #hasrace[rHalfElf] + #hasrace[rHalfOrc] <> 0

These run as a an expr-reqs...
dungeonguru is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
OldDNDer

Old September 10th, 2018, 06:42 PM
Beautiful, amazing! Thank you.

Next question is; the class uses the Wizard spells but I need to give it 2 more spells per level. The number of cantrips stays the same. The problem I am having now is getting those two extra spells per level added. So, for example at first level, a Wizard with no bonus from INT would have 1 first level spell. I need to increase that to 3 first level spells. I have tried a couple of methods to get that increase but cannot figure out what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
OldDNDer is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old September 11th, 2018, 03:57 AM
Spellcasting gets tricky, I'm assuming you mean you want to up the number of spell slots available only.

For non-warlock casters you can manipulate the spell slots per day by using something like the following at Final/5000 (anything before final/10000, but has to happen after the class builds the spell tables in the Levels timing):

Code:
hero.childfound[SlotHold1].field[MaxAllow].value += 2
SlotHold1 holds 1st level spell slots, so you would have to repeat this for SlotHold2, SlotHold3, etc....

So you would have to write something like

Code:
if (herofield[tMaxCaster].value >= 17) then
   ~ IF caster level is high enough to cast 9th level spells give me 2 more 
   hero.childfound[SlotHold9].field[MaxAllow].value += 2
endif
if (herofield[tMaxCaster].value >= 15) then 
   ~ same for 8th level spells. 
   hero.childfound[SlotHold8].field[MaxAllow].value += 2
endif

etcetera, etcetera....
dungeonguru is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
OldDNDer

Old September 11th, 2018, 06:09 AM
I was nowhere close to that solution. I appreciate the help.
OldDNDer is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
OldDNDer

Old September 11th, 2018, 07:04 AM
So, I plugged that in and filled it out for each level of spells; however, when I test it nothing happens. It still reports, with a 13 INT, on the "Wizard Spells" tab of the hero that I have "Memorized: 0/4" which is correct for a 3rd level Wizard. On the "White Robe Wizard Spells" tab it shows "Memorized: 0/2" for a 1st level White Robe Wizard however what I want is "Memorized: 0/4".

Edit: When I'm looking at the pick tags on the White Robe Wizard tab I see something about thingid.SpellSlots. Should SpellSlots be in the code somewhere?

Last edited by OldDNDer; September 11th, 2018 at 07:28 AM.
OldDNDer is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old September 11th, 2018, 12:06 PM
Quote:
So, I plugged that in and filled it out for each level of spells; however, when I test it nothing happens. It still reports, with a 13 INT, on the "Wizard Spells" tab of the hero that I have "Memorized: 0/4" which is correct for a 3rd level Wizard. On the "White Robe Wizard Spells" tab it shows "Memorized: 0/2" for a 1st level White Robe Wizard however what I want is "Memorized: 0/4".

Edit: When I'm looking at the pick tags on the White Robe Wizard tab I see something about thingid.SpellSlots. Should SpellSlots be in the code somewhere?
Well, I said spellcasting was tricky, I thought you were wanting to change the spells slots available, which is what most folks want. If you look at the spells tab you'll see that the number of 1st level slots per day will be 2 above what you expect, etc... (probably 6 instead of 4).

If you're wanting to change the number of spells memorized, it's a different table/field.

You need to get into the class helper object and touch one of the fields:

Code:
hero.childfound[cHelpWiz].field[cMaxSpMem].value += 2
Timing is really critical on this since the calculation happens behind the scenes at post-attributes 100 - so you can run it at post-attributes 50. You could also scan the timing report and figure out how to put it before the <task name="Field cMaxSpMem: Calculate (Max Memorize Allowed)"> </task> script that runs and prioritize it to run right before it. If you made a copy of wizard and this is not a new subclass you'll want to use your cHelpXXX that was generated when you copied wizard obviously.

If you're doing something in an ability that requires you to select the spells from a configurable or dropdown, you can always mark the extra spells as "free" with the Helper.Free and Helper.Memorized tags, like the clerics do for their bonus domain spells.
dungeonguru is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
OldDNDer

Old September 11th, 2018, 01:00 PM
Yeap, that did the trick. Thank you again. This stuff is complex. Now I wish that I had taken programming while working on my degree. Here I'm pushing 50 and this stuff is kicking my tail.
OldDNDer is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
OldDNDer

Old September 11th, 2018, 09:15 PM
Now, what if, at level 1 only, instead of giving them two extra spells memorized I wanted to make sure they had no spells? At level 2 then they would pick up the:

Code:
hero.childfound[cHelpWiz].field[cMaxSpMem].value += 2
Would that be possible?
OldDNDer is offline   #10 Reply With Quote