Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

RampagingHoardes

Old June 12th, 2014, 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
Yeah, it's all 60 nowadays. (None of our monitors/TVs do higher, and I got rid of all my CRTs a couple of years ago.)

Your resized screenshot really does look like it's at 100%. Ah, well. Sorry I couldn't help. :(
No worries thanks for trying Hopefully they have another suggestion or maybe they can do an update at some point. Code-wise this really shouldn't be a big deal but I know there are still users that are having bigger problems.
RampagingHoardes is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
RampagingHoardes

Old June 12th, 2014, 02:17 PM
BTW did do a double check the Display is at 125% so I can't up that further without losing apps off the screen unfortunately. I wish I could go to the max one it would probably be extremely helpful but it affects way to many apps
RampagingHoardes is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Joe
Lone Wolf Staff

Old June 13th, 2014, 11:52 AM
Yeah, Realm Works actually should work reasonably well at 150% scaling, so it's unfortunate that you can't use that setting due to other apps behaving badly.

I know it's not ideal, but have you tried using the screen magnifier tool that comes with windows? This would let you zoom in on areas of RW you're having trouble seeing but without other apps being affected.

As for changes on our end, our main goal is that Realm Works interacts well with widely available accessibility tools and settings like screen scaling and screen magnifier. If you encounter difficulties using either of these options, let us know and we will do our best to resolve them. While we aren't opposed to making other simple tweaks that would make Realm Works more usable to a wider audience, building custom accessibility tools into Realm Works is not trivial and needs to be balanced against the overall needs of the product.

That said, the small size of text in player view specifically is pretty much a problem for everyone. The product is designed for all your players to be viewing player view on a second screen, and unless they are somehow all very close to it (which is challenging at a standard gaming table) this is not an ideal scenario. While we aren't certain exactly how we want to tackle that problem just yet, we definitely aren't happy with where that's at right now and will be taking steps to address it in the future.
Joe is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
RampagingHoardes

Old June 13th, 2014, 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Yeah, Realm Works actually should work reasonably well at 150% scaling, so it's unfortunate that you can't use that setting due to other apps behaving badly.

I know it's not ideal, but have you tried using the screen magnifier tool that comes with windows? This would let you zoom in on areas of RW you're having trouble seeing but without other apps being affected.

As for changes on our end, our main goal is that Realm Works interacts well with widely available accessibility tools and settings like screen scaling and screen magnifier. If you encounter difficulties using either of these options, let us know and we will do our best to resolve them. While we aren't opposed to making other simple tweaks that would make Realm Works more usable to a wider audience, building custom accessibility tools into Realm Works is not trivial and needs to be balanced against the overall needs of the product.

That said, the small size of text in player view specifically is pretty much a problem for everyone. The product is designed for all your players to be viewing player view on a second screen, and unless they are somehow all very close to it (which is challenging at a standard gaming table) this is not an ideal scenario. While we aren't certain exactly how we want to tackle that problem just yet, we definitely aren't happy with where that's at right now and will be taking steps to address it in the future.

Hi Joe,

Thanks for getting back with me again. Yes I have tried the magnifier and with my screen at 125% I still have to up the magnifier to 150% and large portions of the app flow off the screen and it slows you down tremendously and it the behavior is a bit annoying to deal with while you are trying to work in realm works.

I can see where the second screen problem would be an issue as well in my case the monitor for the players would be a much smaller screen. I can probably work around the second screen option though I never had that functionality running games before and it wasn't really the selling point for me it was more the organization and linking of data etc.

Right now I am limiting my time in RW as I am straining looking at the lists of stuff I have entered in the World/Story Almanacs and also when I pull the individual data sheets up as you have no control of the labels and some of the data in there either. Any other help/ideas would be appreciated.

thanks
RampagingHoardes is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old June 18th, 2014, 12:26 PM
Worst case you can try to lower the resolution?

Regarding the player view, well maybe you can accomplish two things with one change, once the exporting functionality of RW is improved you could automatically make use of that in the player view, e.g. tkaing over the source as it really is instead of just changing the format to bullet points. So what you see in the editor is what you get in the viewer (except the hidden things obviously. Even the white boxes / green boxes would not be a problem I think?

Last edited by Acenoid; June 18th, 2014 at 12:30 PM.
Acenoid is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
RampagingHoardes

Old June 18th, 2014, 12:46 PM
It isn't ideal but I am going to have to go that route I guess. Unfortunately the maps etc don't look as good at lower rez. but I don't really seem to have any other option. I am so used to the 1080p everything less than that looks like poo :P
RampagingHoardes is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Dervish

Old June 19th, 2014, 05:55 AM
I know you said you had medical issues is the use of a laptop with cooling pad an option ... it would take some of the strain off your eyes granted its not on the huge screen but if your doing design work and not actually running the game i think the smaller screen closer to you would be better
Dervish is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
RampagingHoardes

Old June 19th, 2014, 10:42 AM
I have pretty bad neck issues so keeping my head tilted down at a laptop would probably exacerbate my neck probs and I don't own a working one so I would have to procure another which isn't in the budget. I may have to get another monitor to put on the table we setup near me and have them just rearrange the living room when we play so I can face everyone instead of the TV. Unfortunately I can't afford it right now with all the medical costs and loss of income.

I am now leaving the screen res resizer open and switching back and forth when I surf or try and do some realmworks/scrivener stuff. Usually I have CC3 and Fractal open as well and bounce back and forth as I get ideas but changing screen sizes constantly is a pain but it is better than eye pain. Still have a ways to go as I am building a world from scratch.

Definitely appreciate the suggestions though to all that have offered help.
RampagingHoardes is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Pollution

Old June 22nd, 2014, 10:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post

I'm not sure how you're displaying the player view of the info exactly, but could you institute something similar to the zoom feature for images/smart-images? Instead of zoom, it would increase font size.
Pollution is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
Substitution

Old July 27th, 2014, 04:19 PM
I just want to voice my support of larger text in Realm Works, I sit about 4 to 5 feet away from my computer at any given time.
Substitution is offline   #20 Reply With Quote