Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

GThiel

Old April 23rd, 2014, 05:57 PM
In an attempt to input the genealogy of the Royal House of the region in which my players are adventuring, I looked through all the available tools and decided that the closest I could come would be to use a World Almanac/storyline.

But .. .. ..
I discovered as I was entering people as plot ponts and connecting them together, that Realm Works wanted to rearrange them all by itself without a way for me to position them where I wanted.

For example a King has two sons. The elder dies without heir, his brother becomes king and the line follows from him. Everything is ok as I add the King and his two sons, but as soon as I add third generation, the second son is moved to the leftmost position. :-(

Is there a way to position plot points manually, or is there a better tool to use to display Genealogies?

Thanks in advance for any ideas/suggestions.
Jerry
GThiel is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old April 23rd, 2014, 06:56 PM
Personally, I don't think Realm Works is well set up to handle Genealogies beyond very simple ones, understandably so since the software that is set up to handle them are quite intricate in their own right. My preference is to use genealogy software for that. There are several freeware ones mentioned at http://www.techsupportalert.com/best...e-software.htm that are worth looking into, IMHO.

For simple trees in RealmWorks just set them up as people, not plot points, and link their base relations to each other. The thing RealmWorks excels at, I think, is less about base parent/child type relationships and more about social relationships between people.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)

Last edited by zarlor; April 23rd, 2014 at 06:58 PM.
zarlor is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Viral Platypus

Old April 23rd, 2014, 07:46 PM
Unfortunately, a full genealogy is going to be difficult to view. You can set it up with relationships, but with the web view, you can only see the immediate relationship. Maybe sometime in the future they will add in a view for this, but they have their hands full right now with other features. Maybe see if there's a feature request out there and +1 it or add one if not.
Viral Platypus is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Cornelius

Old April 26th, 2014, 10:35 AM
Currently I use Realmworks to input all the information on the different individuals (People) and link them through the relationships (family relations -> union and parent/child links).

I have not checked on the web view option. During beta test the relationship options were changed I still have to correct the relationships. With over 400 relationships this is a lot of work.
So I use a free on line program for viewing the genealogies. I used it before I had Realmworks, but I do hope (and will push towards it) that Realmworks will handle them properly .
Cornelius is offline   #4 Reply With Quote