Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Meatpuppet

Old November 20th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Hi there,

I'm about to start a campaign using the new pathfinder RPG and to me Herolab seems like the best DM aid available right now.

The problem is two of my players have psionic characters (a Psion and a psychic warrior). Since it seems you can't mix and match between data files, I was wondering if you are planning any integration of the psionic rules in the "pathfinder package"?

Thanks in advance.
Meatpuppet is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
JimGroves

Old November 20th, 2009, 10:42 AM
On a related note.. Paizo has indicated that there will be no "offical" Psionic support from them in 2010 or 2011. They've literally sketched out their core book plans for the next two years. (They pledge to do no more than 3 core books a year, one of which will always be a monster book). The earliest they will considering tackling psionics is 2012, and even that is debatable. It is such a hotly debated and contentious topic among their customer base, that they're not rushing to address it. James Jacobs has indicated that he is the one most interested in trying it, but most of the other editors dread it.

That could have something to do with the literal dozens of threads that go into 500 posts each where people fight like cats and dogs.

Dreamscarred Press, however, is completely redoing psionics from the ground up for Pathfinder as a third party product, in anticipation of a 2010 release... utilizing Pathfinder design goals and paradigms.

They have a dedicated forum to their Open Beta Test
http://dreamscarredpress.com/dragonf...forum/f=2.html

With this post from one of their main deisgner/publishers, outling their goals and plans:

http://dreamscarredpress.com/dragonf...pic/t=701.html

They also talk directly to fans at both Paizo's boards and EnWorld.
JimGroves is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 20th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Converting the d20 psionics rules is something we'd like to do, but I'm afraid it's going to be a time-consuming project, and there are a number of competing priorities.
Mathias is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Meatpuppet

Old November 20th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
Converting the d20 psionics rules is something we'd like to do, but I'm afraid it's going to be a time-consuming project, and there are a number of competing priorities.
Bummer
Meatpuppet is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
rcsob657

Old November 24th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Hi, new to your boards, and just bought a copy of your product from paizo's website.

What my dm and I are doing is still using 3.5's psionics in pathfinder but giving the psicrystal as a free 1st lvl 'familiar' without having to spend the initial feat for it. Between the classes the two rulesets seem to buff most of the old classes, so there is no reason why the psionicists should not be included.

With that out of the way, in your program specifically, is there not a way to have 3.5 psionics just fully ported into your pathfinder rule set or vice versa. No it's not official sure, but I'd like to be able to use a generator that works for both.
rcsob657 is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
rcsob657

Old November 24th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Hmm, I realize after reading some more I may need to explain my question better.

Say we've already purchased BOTH pathfinder and d20 licenses. Is there a 'quick' way to port data from one ruleset to the other without having to manualy enter everything?

My specific request is for 3.5 (d20) psionics to be put into or in conjunction with my pathfinder ruleset. Thus allowing me to make a psionicist character using already established data. Example being the way skills are in Pathfinder, feat, xp, etc progression, but still have the racial specific and 3.5 feats from complete Psionics and Expanded Psionics Handbook.

Or will I have to just pick one ruleset and completely write the other's rules into it. One reason why I or anyone likes generators is so we 'do not' have to do characters the long way, by hand.
rcsob657 is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
rcsob657

Old November 25th, 2009, 03:33 AM
bummer, in the Pathfinder options selection screen you have other srd available for 3.5 content. I was hoping the psionics check box would 'unlock' after I actually activated for pathfinder. It sadly did not. I know your customer base has you doing other priorities, but if the check box is already there; is it just outright impossible to allow that to be checked and thus the dataset used? As it is now, psionics does NOT interfere in any pathfinder rule and could simply just be layered on right? I'm not talking about a conversion to pathfinder just use srd with pathfinder. Anyhow; have a good day.
rcsob657 is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 25th, 2009, 07:43 AM
The conversions that are required are behind the scenes. One benefit of "resetting" the d20 files when making Pathfinder was the ability to clean up some obsolete code and make improvements to how some things were handled, without worrying that it would break user-added content. Unfortunately, that means that the d20 information can't quickly be brought over to the Pathfinder files.
Mathias is offline   #8 Reply With Quote