Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

Ehrim

Old January 14th, 2016, 04:02 PM
I have emailed support to report this as a 'bug', but they preferred I submit here. I find it bothersome that the current printable layout tends to break up the weapons section, essentially inserting traits/feats right in the middle of the weapons section (after the page break), such that the lower left of page one is weapons and the upper left part of page two is traits/feats, then below that weapons continues. I believe this is a poor/confusing format and slows pay; of course all weapons should be in a single place, available at a glance. I've provided an attachment for your approval (inserting crude page numbers).

Thoughts? Can this be improved?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (69.3 KB, 19 views)
Ehrim is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old January 14th, 2016, 05:08 PM
Have you tried one of the custom sheets you can download? Or if you don't like those you can totally make your own.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Ualaa

Old January 15th, 2016, 09:44 PM
My work around is to use a yellow highlighter, and to highlight things that are most relevant to a newer player.

I agree, it would be nice if they were all in one place.

I've seen the above behavior for skills too, in the case of one of my players who wanted to be a scout and took every creature knowledge skill, in addition to a dabbling in a lot of other things too.
Ualaa is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Ehrim

Old January 17th, 2016, 02:13 PM
I have sometimes highlighted certain sections, but I don't feel I should have to. I don't understand the rationale behind breaking things up like this at the page breaks. To me it's confusing.

I'm hoping others feel the same way and the great developers will correct it.
Ehrim is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old January 17th, 2016, 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehrim View Post
I'm hoping others feel the same way and the great developers will correct it.
The "great developers" added the ability to create custom character sheets. So that each person/group could make a sheet that matches "perfectly" to what they want.

I would recommend again to either try one of the custom sheets available for free or make your own.

Hero Lab Resources:
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Malevolus

Old January 18th, 2016, 09:32 AM
Shadow - this might be a silly question, but how are custom sheets created? I searched around the forums and through HL but was unable to find any step by step instructions on how to actually create them. I have downloaded some of the templates people created (Ancient One, etc) but most of those are no longer maintained and had some issues. I would ideally like to create a simple output that is similar to the PCGen default output. I have always preferred that to the formats in HL.
Malevolus is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old January 18th, 2016, 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malevolus View Post
Shadow - this might be a silly question, but how are custom sheets created?
Under the Help menu is instructions. I am not near HL so don't have "exact" location. I can look later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malevolus View Post
I have downloaded some of the templates people created (Ancient One, etc) but most of those are no longer maintained and had some issues. I would ideally like to create a simple output that is similar to the PCGen default output. I have always preferred that to the formats in HL.
AncientOne's sheet needs a single line of code to fix the issue. It's listed in the forum post. But you are right that not everyone is technical enough to do that.

I will get with LW and see if I can take over ownership of Ancient's sheet. I can at least make small fixes to it. I was never as good with that side of HL as him. But I can fix stuff.

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Ualaa

Old January 20th, 2016, 04:13 AM
Not sure if this is a bug, but if you 'preview' a character sheet.

What it shows in the preview, and how it actually breaks up the sections on the print out are sometimes different.
Ualaa is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Ehrim

Old January 26th, 2016, 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
The "great developers" added the ability to create custom character sheets. So that each person/group could make a sheet that matches "perfectly" to what they want.

I would recommend again to either try one of the custom sheets available for free or make your own.
While I appreciate the reply - I pay for the product. This isn't PCGen. I feel like this is a bug and I have asked for it to be corrected (as I'm quite satisfied with the default output otherwise). I've looked at the available custom output sheets and have never really liked them.

I pay for this product to save time for other activities (such as gaming). I'm not interested in taking hours to develop my own sheet.

I think Hero Lab is a good product. I've written complimentary reviews for the product on places such as Amazon.com. Generally Wolf Lair is quick to address bugs.

I'll admit that it may be subjective whether this is a 'bug'. I find it extremely inconsistent. Hopefully it will be corrected.
Ehrim is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Ehrim

Old January 26th, 2016, 03:42 PM
Ironically one of the negative reviews on Amazon.com (not mine) says, "Once character is created, the program produces a glorified, nice looking character sheet with a nice logo and portrait,but it is still clumsy with lists and tables are broken awkwardly between pages."
Ehrim is offline   #10 Reply With Quote