Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

loomisc

Old June 24th, 2014, 04:55 PM
Not sure if this will work for everyone but it has worked for me.

If you install the Realm Works software into a local Dropbox folder, the program is accessible from any computer that syncs from to that dropbox. There are a few things to keep in mind....
  • You must register each computer online before you can use your realms
  • You will have to sync each computer before and after each session, otherwise you will lose data
  • If you have already installed into a different location you can copy it into a dropbox folder. If you do this you must either change the target of the RW icon or create a new one from the program in the dropbox
  • The database is not saved to the dropbox, YOU MUST SYNC BEFORE AND AFTER EACH SESSION

This has worked for me so far. Not sure if this is allowed or if I am violating any issues with Lone Wolf by posting this. I just know I got tired of having to back-up and restore constantly when moving from a desktop to my laptop. It is also important to note that I would avoid installing it into a dropbox that is shared by multiple users. You not only risk damage to your realms but it could lead to someone trying to access the program at the same time and I have no idea how this would affect the program.

Hope this helps the multi unit users out there.
loomisc is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old June 24th, 2014, 10:59 PM
Since you have to sync before and after each session, then you aren't saving anything by having the program stored on Dropbox.

You can install RW locally on each machine, and they will still need to sync with the server each time if you constantly switch between them.
Farling is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Destrin

Old June 25th, 2014, 01:12 AM
Yeah, I don't understand what this is gaining you, I guess it saves you the installation time but that's not particularly onerous...
Destrin is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
loomisc

Old June 25th, 2014, 03:45 AM
Maybe I misunderstood how it worked, but my understanding was that you had to back up and restore for multiple machines. Just installing on multiple machines would not allow you to sync. If I was wrong, sorry. Was just trying to help any who were having issues.
loomisc is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old June 25th, 2014, 11:12 AM
do you mean "dropbox sync" or "Realms Works Sync".

If you mean the former, you could corrupt your DB. if you mean the latter, you arent saving anything.

Also why did you hve to backup and restore constantly? you have 6 months of free cloud service, and you should be able to use realms works sync mechanism.

Last edited by mirtos; June 25th, 2014 at 12:01 PM.
mirtos is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old June 25th, 2014, 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by loomisc View Post
Maybe I misunderstood how it worked, but my understanding was that you had to back up and restore for multiple machines. Just installing on multiple machines would not allow you to sync. If I was wrong, sorry. Was just trying to help any who were having issues.
This was the case early on, before they introduced syncing to the server.
Farling is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Viking2054

Old June 25th, 2014, 03:02 PM
If your syncing to the server every time you launch the program in drop box how is that a gain over installing it on each machine? I can only see two reasons to do this:

1. you don't have a laptop and want to use a friends computer at the friends house to access your copy of Realm Works.

2. you are trying to bypass the fee for cloud storage LWD is planning on charging which would allow you to sync between multiple machines.

So, which is it?
Viking2054 is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old June 25th, 2014, 07:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
This was the case early on, before they introduced syncing to the server.
Farling is correct. But since the first public release, once the server was available, the only time you ever need to do a restore is if you get a corrupted database.

You install the software on each machine, and sync in each machine, and you will get the latest synced data.

Installing via dropbox is not going to give you any benefit, and could infact cause problems, as you arent actually properly installing.

I have installed on 4 different machines, and not done a backup or restore on one of them.
mirtos is offline   #8 Reply With Quote