Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

hiyami

Old April 15th, 2017, 11:53 PM
Alrighty, I'm not actually sure if this is the correct spot, but seeing as the item in question is for Pathfinder, I'm going to chuck this at you guys and see if someone can break it down for me because I am... Well. Essentially a baby with Pathfinder and barely conceived with HeroLab and am therefore going crazy trying to create a wondrous item.

Because I'm a noob at programming and my spouse-creature is teasing me and telling me it's all about being explicit with the program and stuff and while I get that it makes sense to do that, I'm... not actually sure where I'm going wrong.

TL;DR - I don't know what I'm doing, there might be a guide that points this out, but I missed it, so, uh... please help me. ;A;
LINK - first image is majority of selections, second is just for that last little bit at the bottom.

I looked at a tutorial that Tim was kind enough to link me to and tried to follow the steps there to create my Ancestral Wulfenite, but it doesn't appear in the list of 'Magic' items, much less under slotless wondrous items.

I created a new Hero Lab Editor file, selected the 'Equipment' tab and in the 'Wondrous' tab. I've got the name 'Ancestral Wulfenite' and the Unique ID 'wond_wulfs'. I've set it to unique, because this is something I'm setting up as a hook for a specific player. I've even got a brief bit of summary text.

I added a description - I basically want to create an item that has certain conditions that must be fulfilled before it grants a permanent boon of some sort. You can rinse and repeat (different conditions and boons) up to three times before the item disappears.

I ignored the Custom Name, Cost & Weight? bit because there's not really going to be anything for her to be noting. I dropped 150,000 gp for the cost because why not. The crafting cost is half that, because that's the usual hell that comes with crafting +/- your sanity and bank account. It's not something she can trade in for money, so I ignored Valuable Item? and Custom Cost? I'm not sure if I'm supposed to put something down for weight - I imagine the stone to be pretty small and basically weigh nothing... but am I supposed to put a 0 there to show that? I don't know, so I leave it blank.

It's a one of a kind item, so I decided it would qualify as an artifact in our world and noted that it was an Artifact (minor). It's not legendary since no one really knows, it's not cursed, it's not an ioun stone, and not a mask, so I keep on moving down to the Magic Item Aura Information section.

Well, dang, I didn't think about all that stuff, so I throw down 12th for Caster Level because that looks impressive (is that impressive?) and dropped Abjuration and Necromancy for the Schools. No subschools, descriptors, or scaling text.

This stone isn't something that the player would equip - it's a freakin' rock! - so I skip past the first question and leave the Equipment Slot at -None-. I do expect her to be holding it in her hands when she uses it, so I do check Is held in hands when used?

So then I get to Containment Information and I'm a bit confused. It's not a container, so I ignore the first two checkboxes and the Max Weight Held Limit. It's got a maximum of three boons, so I do check Uses Quantites?, but I ignore the bit about 'Tool For?' because I haven't sorted out what the boons will be yet and they probably won't be for a skill anyways.

Then I get to the Description Appends and I have absolutely no idea what I'm looking at. I actually google what the chicken nuggets 'appends' even means because I know about appendices in books and bodies, but I never thought about what the crap an append is. Then, of course, I have a moment where I feel amazingly dumb.

The item don't refer to another ability or spell as far as I know, so I ignore that bit, too.

And at last, I get to the Display Information section. WELP. I want it in the Specials List because, you know, I want my player to feel like she's picked up something special that only she can do and all that jazz and, you know, it kind of is special. Soooo, a check for Show in Specials List?

She's always going to be able to communicate with the wolf spirits locked in the stone given a minute of concentration, so I also check off Powers Always Available?. And as I've mentioned before, it's not equippable, so I ignore that box. I absolutely, one hundred percent want to be able to see this thing in the Wondrous Item list, so I do check Appears as Wondrous item?. (THIS PART HERE IS WHY I'M AT A LOSS FOR WHAT TO DO HALP)

There's not a save thing, so I ignore that, and I note that the Action Required is a minute.

And, remember, this player can only get three special boons, so I want that to get tracked. Naturally, I check Show in Tracked Resources List?. I ignore Automatic Calculations, because it shouldn't be futzing with the math in other places and the Charge Calc Attribute is, uh... intimidating, so I just kind of leave that alone.

But! It's supposed to be boon-givin' three times, so for Base Charges I put 3. There's not usage period, so that stays at -None- and I don't want the item to get reset because it's a lifetime limit of three so I check Don't reset with a Night's Rest. There are no castable spells, so I skip that, too.

It doesn't have any activated abilities, so I skim past that bit. I get to Item Selection and I'm not actually sure what to make of this section. The guide I'm looking at doesn't say anything, so I kind of eyeball it and see what those helpful hints over the question marks say and I'm still not quite sure what this section does, but it doesn't look like it'll affect the item, so I kinda... ignore this too.

There's no user text or anything like that, and when I get to General Information, I check Not Allowed for Pathfinder Society Characters because, you know, it's not Pathfinder, it's homebrew, and man would that be both amazingly confusing and particularly crappy to forget and then screw up later.

For Sources, I only add one - User Content because that's what this is.

So I'm at the end of this bit of confusion and pain and headdesking. I save and try that happy little 'Test Now!' button at the top. It confirms the save, does its little thing, and then tells me that I should be able to see it in Hero Lab...

Only it's not there. I've looked under Magic, Gear, Weapons, Armor, and Other in case I've done something wrong, but I really, truly have no idea what I did or what I didn't do. :<

Sorry for the super long read/rant, but I basically only just now realized that I could've just image'd the darned thing to show you guys because that's how frazzled I am over this thing. ;A; Gonna add it to the tl;dr too... T_T

LINK - first image is majority, second is just for that last little bit at the bottom.

Sooooo, any advice/links/help/rescue lifebuoys?

Last edited by hiyami; April 16th, 2017 at 01:23 AM. Reason: Resolved c:
hiyami is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Dami

Old April 16th, 2017, 12:10 AM
I'd suggest that you remove the 'Source' in the editor and then it should show up on the 'Magic Items' tab for any character.
As soon as you assign a source, you have to have that source checked in the Hero Config on a Hero to be able to see/buy that item. (Cntrl-K)
Everything else you have done sounds fine to me!
Dami is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
hiyami

Old April 16th, 2017, 01:22 AM
Oh my god, you are my actual hero. I kiss the ground your feet have trodden upon.

Thank you so much. x_x I didn't realize 'Source' was for the different components used as opposed to the source of the material so it didn't even occur to me to try and find that in the configuration! I feel super silly for not realizing it was such a simple solution, but thank god for the kindly people in these forums.

Now I can sleep! ...at 5:21 am /weeps
hiyami is offline   #3 Reply With Quote