Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System

Notices

DaggerdaleDM

Old December 24th, 2006, 08:20 AM
So, lets say I get my house rules put into Hero Lab and I convince my gamers to each buy a copy of Hero lab. Can I export my house rules in such a way that they can then import them into their own copy of Hero Lab?
DaggerdaleDM is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 26th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Absolutely yes! The house rules you enter into Hero Lab will be saved in one or more (your choice) data files that you'll create with your custom material. You can then give those files to the others in your gaming group, and they can simply drop them into the d20 data file directory, re-compile everything, and reload.

When you add your own material, it's keep separate to make it easy to give to others. The compiler builds a merged database of everything that HL uses at run-time, which includes all the core material and your custom material.

Hope this answers your question sufficiently. If not, let us know.

-Rob

At 09:20 AM 12/24/2006, you wrote:

Quote:
So, lets say I get my house rules put into Hero Lab and I convince my gamers to each buy a copy of Hero lab. Can I export my house rules in such a way that they can then import them into their own copy of Hero Lab?
rob is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
DaggerdaleDM

Old December 26th, 2006, 03:32 PM
This is excellent news! Definately the way to do things.
DaggerdaleDM is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Brand

Old December 27th, 2006, 02:16 PM
Just an additional question. Will the demo allow for at least testing putting in your own information.
Or should I have the time (yeah right) I can grab say the Complete Adventurer and add in the Classes and Feats and other such as well.

Just making sure about this is all.
Brand is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Foxbat

Old December 28th, 2006, 09:07 PM
How do I enter House Rules? I don't seem to see an option for that in any of the file menus in Hero Lab.

--Bruce
Foxbat is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 31st, 2006, 03:23 AM
The demo version WILL allow you to add your own custom material to the data files. So you can definitely test drive that facet of the product before shelling out your hard-earned cash.

Please note that the editing capabilities will be released in stages over the next few weeks. I just posted an announcement about this in a separate thread. You'll be able to see how it all works at some point on Tuesday. Feats, races, skills, and spells will be editable in the first stage. Classes will be added after that. Custom weapons, armor, and magic items will be added last.

If you do add in all the material from a particular book, you may want to share your hard work with others. I'm sure there will be some users keenly interested in not having to re-enter everything themselves. Based on how things went with Army Builder and Card Vault, there may even be sites where users can share material showing up in the near future.

Thanks, Rob

At 03:16 PM 12/27/2006, you wrote:

Quote:
Just an additional question. Will the demo allow for at least testing putting in your own information.
Or should I have the time (yeah right) I can grab say the Complete Adventurer and add in the Classes and Feats and other such as well.

Just making sure about this is all.
rob is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 31st, 2006, 03:25 AM
It's not included yet. That functionality will be added over the next few weeks, and you'll be able to take your first test drive of it at some point on Tuesday.

-Rob

At 10:07 PM 12/28/2006, you wrote:

Quote:
How do I enter House Rules? I don't seem to see an option for that in any of the file menus in Hero Lab.

--Bruce
rob is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Foxbat

Old December 31st, 2006, 11:55 AM
Thanks for the prompt holiday reply, Rob. I'm very much looking forward to putting Hero Labs through its paces, but won't really be able to use it for my campaign (or any of the games in which I play) until I can enter custom stuff.

--Bruce
Foxbat is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 3rd, 2007, 12:14 AM
Take tonight's release for a test drive and give us your feedback. Everything will be preliminary and subject to change at this point, so it's a great opportunity to help shape the end result. We're expecting to have the core editing tools in place and fully documented around the end of the month. That gives us some time to incorporate user input and refine things for maximum usability.

-Rob

At 12:55 PM 12/31/2006, you wrote:

Quote:
Thanks for the prompt holiday reply, Rob. I'm very much looking forward to putting Hero Labs through its paces, but won't really be able to use it for my campaign (or any of the games in which I play) until I can enter custom stuff.

--Bruce
rob is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Reinstag

Old January 4th, 2007, 07:46 PM
I've played around a tiny bit with the new editor and noticed there's no function for building new classes (core or prestige). Will these be available later perhaps? I'm sure prestige class editing/creating will be there but I'm hoping to see the ability to edit core classes too.
Reinstag is offline   #10 Reply With Quote