Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds

Notices

CapedCrusader
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old June 24th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Greetings!
We are looking at making some changes to Hero Lab to better support Savage Worlds. So, I'm soliciting feedback on what folks think should be added or changed to allow Hero Lab to be able to be used for more of the Savage Worlds settings. A partial list of what we're looking at is:

1. The Fantasy Companion book
2. The Super Powers Companion book
3. Adding the capability to support a second Faction
4. Adding functionality to better support Derived Traits related to Rank
5. Updating it with the changes in Savage Worlds Deluxe

What we're looking for is feedback on what else Hero Lab could do in order to make it more useful for Savage Worlds players. What kinds of things would you like to see?

Ron
(CapedCrusader)

Last edited by CapedCrusader; June 25th, 2011 at 12:36 PM.
CapedCrusader is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Freefall

Old June 26th, 2011, 01:40 PM
I'd like a couple of campaign options that you can set, such as increasing the number of starting Edges and the option to override/ignore Background Edges restrictions so that they can be taken after character creation. From a quick glance at the Savage Worlds Deluxe edition it looks like the restriction on Background Edges has been lifted so my second request may be moot if you're going to support the Deluxe edition.

Regards,

Freefall
Freefall is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
bugleyman

Old June 28th, 2011, 01:50 PM
For my part, it looks like you're nailing the two things I would most like to see:
1. Support for Savage Worlds Deluxe
2. Ability to purchase the Fantasy Companion

Given how vital new edges are in customizing a setting, you will want to ensure that doing so is as easy as possible (I have no idea how hard it is now; haven't tried).

Is SWD going to "replace" EE, or will there be a toggle?
bugleyman is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
dartnet

Old June 30th, 2011, 07:34 PM
Update the Languages to make them more user friendly.
dartnet is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader

Old June 30th, 2011, 09:44 PM
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by more user-friendly. Could you be more specific?
CapedCrusader is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
dartnet

Old July 1st, 2011, 05:51 AM
HL needs the ability to adjust the number of language slots a PC gets.
Pulse it would be great to be able to add user defined Languages.
For example for a fantasy game I have Common, Orc, and Zoolander as languages. It would be great to be able to select those languages with out having to type them every time.
dartnet is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader

Old July 1st, 2011, 12:16 PM
As far as modifying the number of languages a character gets, there's an Edge in Hellfrost called Linguist that allows someone to have their Smarts in languages rather than half Smarts. I can show you how to code an Edge that will allow you to modify the number of Languages a player gets now, and you can create an Edge that you can give to either a single hero or the entire party for free. The code in the Eval Script looks like this to add a single language:

#resmax[resLang] = #trait[attrSma] + 1
#resleft[resLang] = #trait[attrSma] + 1

To add more, just change the number being added in both equations. To make it Smarts instead of half Smarts, use this:

#resmax[resLang] += #trait[attrSma]
#resleft[resLang] += #trait[attrSma]

The timing on either of these two Eval Scripts needs to be Phase:Final Priority:2000. I've attached a .user file with an example. Will that cover your needs as far as number of languages?

Having a list of pre-set languages is a bit more difficult. Since Savage Worlds is such an open-ended system, it's not easy to come up with a fixed list of languages. Each game would have it's own set. If we set it up to use a fixed set of languages from a list built using the editor, it could force everyone to set up a list in the editor and not all users are comfortable with that. I have an idea or two about how this could be handled, but it's not a sure thing.

Keep those ideas coming!
Attached Files
File Type: zip Linguist.zip (681 Bytes, 2 views)
CapedCrusader is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Grimmshade

Old July 3rd, 2011, 12:19 PM
- I have to put in a big vote to update to the Deluxe edition. This would be by far my number 1 must have to kep Hero Lab even viable for SW.
- Also, the Fantasy Companion would be a great addition, especially if you could get the race creator in there. I'd love to see some of the Pulp Edges added in as well from the Pulp Toolkit.
- A few more custom options would certainly be great, like the ability to add an extra Edge (for free, like can be gained in Slipstream with the use of the Heroic rule.)
- Of course I would love to see the official settings added, especially Slipstream so that we would have some Sci-Fi options.
Grimmshade is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Kiros

Old July 3rd, 2011, 07:07 PM
Order of preference for me:
1) Update to SW Deluxe
2) Support for Realms of Cthulhu (this should be relatively easy, perhaps doing stat changes first then support for 1890s, 1920s, modern equipment second)
3) Support for Fantasy Companion
Kiros is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
dartnet

Old July 7th, 2011, 04:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiros View Post
Order of preference for me:
1) Update to SW Deluxe
2) Support for Realms of Cthulhu (this should be relatively easy, perhaps doing stat changes first then support for 1890s, 1920s, modern equipment second)
3) Support for Fantasy Companion
Add the super power books, Deadlands, and Space 1889 and you got my wish list.
dartnet is offline   #10 Reply With Quote