Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Thengel

Old September 8th, 2017, 05:09 AM
Hi!

I am currently converting my Dark Sun campaign to 5th edition D&D. But when I try to make a Half-Giant race in the editor I have encountered a small problem. Half-Giants in my world gets double hit point for each level, but I can't find a way to incorporate this in the HL-file.
Anyone know if this is possible?
Thengel is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
DeltaMasterMind

Old September 9th, 2017, 02:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thengel View Post
Hi!

I am currently converting my Dark Sun campaign to 5th edition D&D. But when I try to make a Half-Giant race in the editor I have encountered a small problem. Half-Giants in my world gets double hit point for each level, but I can't find a way to incorporate this in the HL-file.
Anyone know if this is possible?
So double hitdice per level or Hit die times 2?

Forum link for my content work:
Pathfinder Thread
Forum link for SU 5e content work:
5e Steven Universe Thread
This link is for my group, but feel free to play it with:
DMM 5e | "https://www.dropbox.com/s/vsd9w1eodlnwjq0/updatesDMM.xml?dl=1" Copy this link to your update manager to get updates when available.
This adds the Pisky subrace to elves from Berserk! and additional subraces for the Gem Race.
Please post comments in the provided threads above.
DeltaMasterMind is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Thengel

Old September 9th, 2017, 04:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaMasterMind View Post
So double hitdice per level or Hit die times 2?
Thanks. But how to do that? There doesn's eem to be a choice to double HP per level?
Thengel is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old September 9th, 2017, 08:03 AM
The question of hit points versus Hit Die is important for the short rest hit point recovery. If you double Hit Die, you get a huge boon when recovering hit points during short rest. If you only double hit points, you just can take more damage and you're slightly penalized during the same rest because your hit die can't catch up to damage as fast as another character.

Why not go a different route, the lowest hit die for a character is d6, the highest is d12, the average hit point for a character per level then if 4 to 7.

Look at the feat Tough. It grants a bonus 2 hit points per level, no reason you couldn't copy the code from Tough for your half-giant's ability to add 5 or 6 hit points per level, which is functionally similar to what you want to do and won't affect the rest mechanic as badly.

If you're actually wanting to double the hit dice as opposed to manipulating the hit points, you may want to look at manipulating the rHitDice.value field and set it equal to your level to grant you racial hit dice equal to your level - not sure if it would work though.
dungeonguru is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Thengel

Old September 9th, 2017, 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dungeonguru View Post
The question of hit points versus Hit Die is important for the short rest hit point recovery. If you double Hit Die, you get a huge boon when recovering hit points during short rest. If you only double hit points, you just can take more damage and you're slightly penalized during the same rest because your hit die can't catch up to damage as fast as another character.

Why not go a different route, the lowest hit die for a character is d6, the highest is d12, the average hit point for a character per level then if 4 to 7.

Look at the feat Tough. It grants a bonus 2 hit points per level, no reason you couldn't copy the code from Tough for your half-giant's ability to add 5 or 6 hit points per level, which is functionally similar to what you want to do and won't affect the rest mechanic as badly.

If you're actually wanting to double the hit dice as opposed to manipulating the hit points, you may want to look at manipulating the rHitDice.value field and set it equal to your level to grant you racial hit dice equal to your level - not sure if it would work though.
Thank you!
I think I will go for the modfied Though feat. But......how do I find it so I can open it in the Editor?
Thengel is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old September 9th, 2017, 10:16 AM
Open the editor, go to the General tab, choose the Feat sub-tab and do a New (Copy) and find Tough. Don't worry about saving or renaming it, you're just going to look at it and copy code.

Look at the eval scripts in particular, make sure you scroll and find both of them. Note the timing for each one and then open the scripts up and copy/paste them into something like notepad++.

You can delete the copy of Tough you're looking at. Choose the Race tab, then the Racial Special subtab and do a New (Blank) and get started.
dungeonguru is offline   #6 Reply With Quote