Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

zarlor

Old January 5th, 2015, 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeleyOne View Post
Since it is taking so long part of me has wanted to work on some of it myself. I have some hacks in mind that would work to get around some of the limitations of Hero Lab. Or at least the Savage Worlds version. There are some things in Pathfinder that would be great if usable with other game systems. For example, in Pathfinder the class abilities have a "value" that can be added to by other things. It would be very helpful if edges and hindrances also had this feature.
Yeah, it would be nice to see some traction on the Feature Requests list happen. We've had mostly bug fixes in the last few updates and a few very low hanging fruit items on the feature requests list but not much of a dent has been made to that list in a long, long time. Of course SFC is presumably still in the works and maybe some things will need to happen to get that working right with SPC2 behind that so who knows. (At least I have a data file I can use already for the latter if anyone needs it.)

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old January 6th, 2015, 09:41 PM
That's going to be done after I get the Sci-Fi Companion out since it needs that to function. I'm working a bunch on SFC this week. My life has been very interesting this last couple of months. Issues dealing with my day job, clusterfrack nightmares. I haven't been able to get much done, but that should be all straightened out now (fingers and toes crossed). I've been in touch with the Gunmetal Games folks already about it. Zarlor, once SFC is done, we'll talk, I may hand IZ off to you.

_
Currently In Development: Savage Pathfinder, SWADE Fantasy Companion
Future Development: SWADE Super Powers Companion, SWADE Sci-Fi Companion
_
Currently Running: Savage Unity Inc. (homebrew multiverse theme)
Setting Files Supported: Deadlands: Reloaded, Flash Gordon, Gaslight, Hellfrost, Interface Zero 2.0, Seven Worlds, Slipstream, Solomon Kane
Future Setting Files: Savage Judge Dredd
CapedCrusader is online now   #12 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old January 6th, 2015, 10:41 PM
I do have IZ2 and I could probably knock out a decent portion of it, but it sounds like SeeleyOne has already knocked out some of the work there so he might be a better go-to guy on that one than me. (Besides, based on the code he's been posting lately it sounds like he's well beyond most of what I can do anyway.)

Hopefully things will be settled down for you now.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old January 7th, 2015, 07:28 AM
I have not done any of the data entry, but I have played around with ways to make it work.

For races, I would use Groups or Factions as a subrace. It should only show if you have a race that has a subrace option, like the Human 2.0 gets to pick an attribute. It is easy to make it only appear for a given race in an eval script. The other choice could be used if two choices are needed.

For cyberware, a hack is to have each component be an Edge. You can make edges cost nothing simply by putting 0 in the cost field. For the quality (gutterware, streetware, hyperchrome, milware) the ideal would be to make it so it is a choice, but the only way that I was able to get that to work was with using simples. However, so far I have not been able to figure out how to make it apply to anything in an eval script. So the "working" way is to have four different versions, one for each quality level. It works, but is less than ideal. Kind of like how using an Advance on an Attribute increase will only tell you after you increased it that you were being naughty. (For the Advancement of attributes, it would be better to have five versions, one per rank, as at least that way it be accurate before you make an error).

For the cost of cyberware, there are two things. First is strain, which would just modify the derived Strain like we do with Charisma.

For Strain, the first thought was to make a derived trait. However, we want to know the current value and the maximum value. Both could be derived traits. Current and Maximum. An idea was to have current be the derived trait, and have a bootstrapped Hindrance show the maximum, and then after it exceeds it, it can show the Fatigue. This is very easy to do in an eval script to make a custom print out. The reason that having current strain be a derived trait is because it is easily modified by the cyberware. You can directly add to it. Adding to an edge or hindrance has to be done entirely inside its own eval script. For example, even though I could have current and maximum both reside within the eval script of the same Hindrance (or edge), the cyberware could not add to it on its own.

For starting money and cyberware, this is done by power level. This is already easy to do just by having different power levels inside the 1st file, and allow only one choice. The numbers would start at whatever was determined by the Power Level setting. But how do we get it to change? Have two derived traits. One is "Augments Cash". This starts at whatever based on the power level, but can be modified by other things. The other is "Total Augments" that gives the total cost of the character's augments.

For starting money here is my version of the Deadlands. Something similar can be done for the different power levels.

Setup 4000
Code:
trustme
var cash as number
cash = 500

if (hero.tagis[source.Deadlands] <> 0) then
     cash = 250
endif

herofield[acCashCfg].value = cash
Then after we have the Total Augment cost, we can apply it first to the Augments Cash. Anything leftover would then be deducted from the character's cash total.

For occupations just take an edge that costs nothing. It leaves the groups/factions alone and can still do what it needs to do as edges can do quite a bit.

Evil wins because good rolls poorly .... or the players are not paying enough attention to the game.
SeeleyOne is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
dartnet

Old January 7th, 2015, 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapedCrusader View Post
That's going to be done after I get the Sci-Fi Companion out since it needs that to function. I'm working a bunch on SFC this week. My life has been very interesting this last couple of months. Issues dealing with my day job, clusterfrack nightmares. I haven't been able to get much done, but that should be all straightened out now (fingers and toes crossed). I've been in touch with the Gunmetal Games folks already about it. Zarlor, once SFC is done, we'll talk, I may hand IZ off to you.
If you need help, I am waiting for a big project to drop at the moment and would love to sling some code for you.
dartnet is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old January 7th, 2015, 02:52 PM
If nothing else, though, I can always knock out the grunt data-entry work on anything you want that I have (SFC, SPC2... heck I already have a data file for SPC2 if you want to use that to work from when the time comes to do it, IZ2... I don't have too many other non-Pinnacle settings, though.)

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Coming Eventually
zarlor is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader

Old January 7th, 2015, 03:29 PM
OK, hold on, slow down. SeeleyOne, stop what you are doing.

The reason it's taking so long is that I am altering that base program to handle all of this stuff. You won't need to "hack" anything.

This discussion needs to move off-line. See you in the PM's.

_
_
Setting Files Supported: Deadlands: Reloaded, Flash Gordon, Gaslight, Hellfrost, Interface Zero 2.0, Seven Worlds, Slipstream, Solomon Kane
CapedCrusader is online now   #17 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader

Old January 7th, 2015, 04:17 PM
Sorry, I was watching King Arthur again the other day.

("Stop what you are doing!") Unfortunately, this casts me in the role of the overbearing Roman aristocrat, an unflattering portrait at best.

_
_
CapedCrusader is online now   #18 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old January 7th, 2015, 04:30 PM
I was figuring there probably would be some pretty basic changes having to go in for SFC much like there had to be for the Fantasy Companion and Super Powers Companion as well. Still I think it's interesting to see the possibilities. If nothing else it gives those of us who rely on examples a few more code situations to check out, which I find useful.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Coming Eventually
zarlor is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old January 7th, 2015, 06:05 PM
My hacks above were to give everyone else ideas (if needed) for ways to get around the current limitations of Hero Lab for Savage Worlds. It is surprising when an idea will be helpful later on. The Knowledges thread has many ideas in it. Making Specializations work is not all that hard. I presented a few ideas that would work -- some I even tried, just to be sure. I prefer to test my suggestions before sharing them. Some are easier to implement than others.

Evil wins because good rolls poorly .... or the players are not paying enough attention to the game.
SeeleyOne is offline   #20 Reply With Quote