Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

TobyFox2002

Old January 22nd, 2018, 03:59 AM
I am running in a game where things are a bit topsy-turvy. And I was wondering if Anyone out there might have some advice.

I am trying to create a class (or an archetype) that the FAMILIAR (or in this case) PATRON is the player and the Witch well... essentially the companion. I'm trying to do it in such a way that its relatively balanced (although, this is for a silly game so.. its bound to be a bit powerful.)

The issue I'm running into is, well, I'm not sure how to redo the companion chooser so it selects the playable races rather than animal/companion races. I was wondering if there was any way to do that without a massive overhaul or a mechanic based rework.

I think if I get that part down, I can fiddle with the rest.
TobyFox2002 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old January 22nd, 2018, 11:28 AM
I'm pretty sure you could make a custom companion which could select among PC races, you almost certainly couldn't rework the standard existing companions to do this well (probably could alter the available races, but they would still advance as companions, rather than by adding class levels). I am assuming the Patron character is represented as a class, in this case?
Aaron is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
TobyFox2002

Old January 22nd, 2018, 04:22 PM
The patron/familiar/companion whatever would be the base class and the witch/wizard/whatever else would would be the companion, correct represented by the class.

With various class customs attached to address the balance of power problems associated with playing the familar/patron. I have played wacky combinations like that before, and I have also run games where players were animals etc, so I have much of the power problems worked out.

Obviously, there would need to have some reworks because of the typical dynamic of power between the two is reversed (or perhaps it isn't and the player is still subservient to the will of the wizard/witch), I suppose one could roleplay how they liked.

Regardless, the power is shared between the two, unlike the normal witch/patron where the familar is rarely used. Kinda like a double-race.
TobyFox2002 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old January 22nd, 2018, 04:57 PM
Alright, so are you having trouble creating a new type of companion? It's kind of a rarely used and complex feature, so I would understand if you had questions.
Aaron is offline   #4 Reply With Quote